Playoff scenarios/Division tie-breakers

jjakq27

Look at it this way with the remaining schedules for the teams looking like this:

Steelers:

CIN

CLE

@SF

STL

@CLE

Ravens:

@CLE

IND

@SD

CLE

@CIN

Bengals:

@PIT

HOU

@STL

ARZ

BAL

It looks to me like the Steelers have the upper hand with the schedule. I could see them ending up at 12-4. The Ravens at 11-5 with the Bengals at 11-5 or 10-6.

If, IF, the Bengals and Browns win this weekend, we could very well be seeing the Steelers at 12-4 with the Bengals and Ravens at 11-4 going into the last game in Cincinnati. If the Steelers finish at 12-4 with the Bengals, the Bengals would win the AFCN due to to the tiebreaker of AFCN records. The Bengals at 4-2 and the Steelers at 3-3. If the Ravens were to tie with the Steelers at 12-4, more than likely their division record would be 5-1 with the Steelers at 3-3.

This upcoming weekend is HUGE in determining the AFCN champs.

So, if the Bengals and Browns win this weekend, the Steelers lose at SF, and the Bengals WIN OUT, the Bengals are AFCN champs. Not highly unlikely. Doubtful, yes. Highly unlikely? Not neccessarily.

Edit: I take that back. IF the Bengals and Browns win this weekend AND the Bengals win out they would be AFCN Champs. Bengals and Steelers at 12-4 with the Bengals having the better AFCN record at 4-2 to the Steelers 3-3. The Ravens would be 11-5 with losses to the Bengals and Browns in the last 5 games.

So, if the Bengals and Browns win this weekend, the Steelers lose at SF, and the Bengals WIN OUT, the Bengals are AFCN champs. Not highly unlikely. Doubtful, yes. Highly unlikely? Not neccessarily.

Edit: I take that back. IF the Bengals and Browns win this weekend AND the Bengals win out they would be AFCN Champs. Bengals and Steelers at 12-4 with the Bengals having the better AFCN record at 4-2 to the Steelers 3-3. The Ravens would be 11-5 with losses to the Bengals and Browns in the last 5 games.

No disrespect Hokie, but winning out is one tall order. For the Bengals to be sitting at 7-4 at this point of the season is mind boggling. Actually in the playoff hunt, and playing the hated Steelers this weekend to continue a hold on the hope we get there. We can make it, but the players have to elevate their games for it to happen.

Asking a lot from a young team.

I said before the season that we'd be between 7 and 9 wins and I stick to that. I think we finish 9-7 and, unfortunately, I think we miss the playoffs. But you know what? Given all our circumstances this season, I'm ok with that. Would I be disappointed? Sure. But I hope our fanbase doesn't build itself up for a major letdown. The 'pundits' said we'd be the worst team in the NFL. We have a lot to build on. 9-7 or 10-6 and missing the playoffs by a hair would not be the end of our world and hope if that happens, we'll all be able to maintain perspective.

No disrespect Hokie, but winning out is one tall order. For the Bengals to be sitting at 7-4 at this point of the season is mind boggling. Actually in the playoff hunt, and playing the hated Steelers this weekend to continue a hold on the hope we get there. We can make it, but the players have to elevate their games for it to happen.

Asking a lot from a young team.

My point was this. If the Bengals beat the Steelers, they'll have 3 of the 4 remaining games at home. HOU, @STL, ARZ, BAL. All teams they can handle. I don't see this as insurmountable. They'd have to win 5 in a row which they haven't done since 1988...oh wait...

Again, it's doubtful it happens. But it's certainly not the craziest scenario. We'll know more after this weekend.

I think we finish 9-7 and, unfortunately, I think we miss the playoffs.

That's possible I suppose, but who do you see the Bengals losing to? I assume its the Steelers, Texans and Ravens.

I have a hard time believing that they will lose to both Pittsburgh and Houston, simply because that would mean 4 losses in 5 games. Anything is possible... but from my perspective, this team has too much of the "it" factor to go on that kind of losing skid.

That said, I'm not convinced that 10-6 gets them in the playoffs either. They absolutely must take care of business against the good teams remaining on the schedule.

I think we finish 9-7 and, unfortunately, I think we miss the playoffs.

That's possible I suppose, but who do you see the Bengals losing to? I assume its the Steelers, Texans and Ravens.

I have a hard time believing that they will lose to both Pittsburgh and Houston, simply because that would mean 4 losses in 5 games. Anything is possible... but from my perspective, this team has too much of the "it" factor to go on that kind of losing skid.

That said, I'm not convinced that 10-6 gets them in the playoffs either. They absolutely must take care of business against the good teams remaining on the schedule.

Those would be the three I'd be most concerned about. Obviously Houston won't be as big of an issue with their QB situation now, but they still got a strong running game and a good defense.

I wouldn't rule out an upset at this point either though. I can see a scenario where the Bengals get fired up for the Steelers and Raven sequels and let off the gas against the Cards or the Rams. While I'd think losing to either is unlikely, last week's squeaker vs. the Browns makes me realize those are not gimme games. Just think, we were a 'Brad St. Louis' away from that one being different.

For some reason the Arizona game worries me. Maybe I am too caught up in Beanie Wells' recent 200 yard game and all of Patrick Peterson's exploits.

It would worry me slightly more if it were in Arizona.

I'm still not sold on this team making the playoffs, unfortunately. I absolutely love what we've got and can't wait to see it develop over the next few seasons, but it worries me that they haven't been able to put teams away earlier. Playing strong in the 4th quarter and pulling out wins is great, but you can only keep it up for so long. I can see a team like the Jets going on a streak where they dominate teams from here on out, but I'm not so sure I can see the Bengals doing that. Even against bad teams, it always seems to go down to the end.

I really want to see that killer instinct where they get out on a team early, and bury them for good before the 4th quarter rolls around.

I'm still not sold on this team making the playoffs, unfortunately. I absolutely love what we've got and can't wait to see it develop over the next few seasons, but it worries me that they haven't been able to put teams away earlier. Playing strong in the 4th quarter and pulling out wins is great, but you can only keep it up for so long. I can see a team like the Jets going on a streak where they dominate teams from here on out, but I'm not so sure I can see the Bengals doing that. Even against bad teams, it always seems to go down to the end.

I thought Thornton put it pretty well:

The Bengals are sitting in a good spot after that win vs the Browns in Sunday. Was it pretty? No. But when do the Bengals ever win pretty? I’ve said this for over a month now, the Bengals are the most consistent team in the AFC North. They play the same game every single week. I don’t believe that the Bengals are the best team in the division, that belongs to the Steelers, but the Bengals aren’t far behind. There are flaws in this team that hurts them when they play good teams, but there aren’t many good teams in the NFL. There are plenty of average to below average teams, and the Bengals are way better than those teams. I think this team makes the playoffs for that reason alone, average teams can’t beat them, and good teams have to put them away. And it’s hard to put them away.

The Jets do worry me just because they have been there before and they know what it takes, many of the bengals players have never been there, or have been in the spot to fight for it. One thing i do know is that this team is all fight, and will not let teams have there way with them. They are still a very young team, and they do make mistakes esp on offense. So thats why the defense has to play its butt off, to keep the score low, they cant let up those big plays. If the defense can keep the score low, i think the bengals can put up just enough points to beat some of these good teams.

The winning in 4th quarter thing bothers me just alittle, im so happy that they win, but man if they could just play a complete game for 4 quarters they would be that much better. I agree i dont think they can win like that all the time esp agaisnt the good teams, and we saw that with Pitt and Balt.

It was nice to see that Peko said all these games are must wins from here on out, so maybe that will make they play desperate, and want it even more then the next team.

The Jets do worry me just because they have been there before and they know what it takes, many of the bengals players have never been there, or have been in the spot to fight for it. One thing i do know is that this team is all fight, and will not let teams have there way with them. They are still a very young team, and they do make mistakes esp on offense. So thats why the defense has to play its butt off, to keep the score low, they cant let up those big plays. If the defense can keep the score low, i think the bengals can put up just enough points to beat some of these good teams.

The winning in 4th quarter thing bothers me just alittle, im so happy that they win, but man if they could just play a complete game for 4 quarters they would be that much better. I agree i dont think they can win like that all the time esp agaisnt the good teams, and we saw that with Pitt and Balt.

It was nice to see that Peko said all these games are must wins from here on out, so maybe that will make they play desperate, and want it even more then the next team.

Yeah, I wish they would put together a complete game and not have to rely on last minute heroics. But, if I had to choose between being a first half team and being a second half team, I'll take the latter. It shows me they thrive under pressure, which is pretty much the best attribute they can have.

Yeah, I wish they would put together a complete game and not have to rely on last minute heroics. But, if I had to choose between being a first half team and being a second half team, I'll take the latter. It shows me they thrive under pressure, which is pretty much the best attribute they can have.

Oh yea no doubt, im not complaining i would just love to see them keep there foot on the peddle, and play great for 4 quarters. Man can you imagine how good they could be! You know i remember even back in 09 where most of us were killing the offense because they sucked for half the game, then found a way to win, so this isnt the first time this has happened.

FWIW, Football Outsiders' playoff report still likes the Bengals' chances of making the postseason. And it thinks their biggest rival isn't the Jets, but Denver.

It sucks that we lost to them in Week 2 by two friggin' points.

And Marvin passed on a long FG try in the middle of the fourth quarter in the thin air of Denver. I think he forgot that Golden Graham isnt the kicker anymore.