Steelers @ Bengals Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Some tidbits here from the Hobsonator.

That should give you an idea of the mindset this week as the Bengals bring their AFC-best 6-2 record into it with the 6-3 Steelers. The Bengals didn’t have to report to work on a victory Monday (they need to get their lifting In Monday or Tuesday), but the locker room was a busy place with players that included quarterback Andy Dalton.

Left end Carlos Dunlap indicated he did suffer a hamstring injury Sunday and plans to have it examined later Monday, but said it felt better than it did after the game. Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, going out for a run, hopes to do individual drills Wednesday while tight end Jermaine Gresham is hopeful he can play.

And head coach Marvin Lewis said all three will practice this week and that he felt better about the availability of Dunlap and running back Brian Leonard (knee). Tight end Donald Lee said he had a sprained foot and even though he was in a boot Monday he said he would play. He said someone fell on it during the third quarter but he didn't come out.

"Ford tough," he said with a wink.

With a big game come the big media. Yes, The New York Times, in the person of NFL writer Judy Battista, is going to be here. Bengals PR chieftan Jack Brennan also has a full ESPN crew of Bob Holtzman, John Clayton and Jamison Hensley ticketed, as well for Sunday, as well as USA Today's Jim Corbett.

The players are clearly excited about the season's first sellout. "Let's get a blackout going in the stadium," Dunlap said. "Everybody in there wearing all black."

The word out of Pittsburgh is head coach Mike Tomlin is calling wide receiver Hines Ward's injury minor and that despite stinger and concussion symptoms it looks like he'll play. The scutlebutt is that linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) is going to miss another game, but wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is going to be back.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy alot of media hype this week!

Bengals just stay yourself dont get sucked into the media hype, just continue to be who you are!

I do hope Witworth stands up and talks to this team, his interview on bengals.com was really good. Basically saying hey this team has done nothing yet, we came in and our goal was to make the playoffs and we have not done that yet.

This team is young, so i just want somebody to stand up and make sure these young guys know every game is a playoff game from here on out.

I cant wait for this game....be dominant!!!!!

Oh defense play like you did in the second half of last weeks game, and you can shut these guys down!!

Sounds like alot of guys this week will back and ready to play, which is great they will need them!

Bengals just stay yourself dont get sucked into the media hype, just continue to be who you are!

That's the key. Don't get too amped up. I think a lot of teams make mistakes against Pitt because they try too hard - it allows their players, who tend to be tough but slow, to use opponents' speed against them. Case in point, all the sacks that Rapistburger avoids by sidestepping and letting a blitzer run right past. Teams whose rushers work together to contain him work better.

Seems like a similar effect on their gadget plays. Can't overpursue. If they don't get too geeked up and just play smart - and frankly, slow it down a little - they can win.

That's the key. Don't get too amped up. I think a lot of teams make mistakes against Pitt because they try too hard - it allows their players, who tend to be tough but slow, to use opponents' speed against them. Case in point, all the sacks that Rapistburger avoids by sidestepping and letting a blitzer run right past. Teams whose rushers work together to contain him work better.

Seems like a similar effect on their gadget plays. Can't overpursue. If they don't get too geeked up and just play smart - and frankly, slow it down a little - they can win.

Good post.

It helps that this team is just 2 seasons removed from sweeping Pittsburgh using that strategy above. This team and coaching staff has played in big games against Pittsburgh before. This isn't like 2005 when they got out to a fast start then s**t the bed against the Steelers at home in October that year.

Good post.

It helps that this team is just 2 seasons removed from sweeping Pittsburgh using that strategy above. This team and coaching staff has played in big games against Pittsburgh before. This isn't like 2005 when they got out to a fast start then s**t the bed against the Steelers at home in October that year.

Exactly. This coaching staff knows how to play/prepare for Pittsburgh and Marvin alluded to that in the post game interview with Lap. He said someto the effect of "we're ...in the last few yrs against the AFC North...we'll be all right". Marvin said last night that "this team is built to compete in the AFC North". He sounds confident.

I'm on a streak. I predicted

Cin 28 Seattle 10 - Actual score was 34-12 - Bengals

Cin 20 Tenn. 13 - Actual score was 24-17 - Bengals

We all know that I predicted playoffs before the season started, so I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering what I predict for this huge game vs the Steelers.

Pittsburgh HAS to have this game, but that was a draining game last Sunday. The Bengals are 3 pt unerdogs at home and everyone feels they haven't played anyone and has told the team this repeatedly. Zimmer knows how to play this offense, and I think Palmer was intimidated against Pitt and Dalton won't be. Pittsburgh will underestimate the entire team and the Bengals haven't sold out a game yet, so they won't want to lay an egg the 1st time they do.

Cincinnati - 21

Pittsburgh - 7

We all know that I predicted playoffs before the season started, so I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering what I predict for this huge game vs the Steelers.

Pittsburgh HAS to have this game, but that was a draining game last Sunday. The Bengals are 3 pt unerdogs at home and everyone feels they haven't played anyone and has told the team this repeatedly. Zimmer knows how to play this offense, and I think Palmer was intimidated against Pitt and Dalton won't be. Pittsburgh will underestimate the entire team and the Bengals haven't sold out a game yet, so they won't want to lay an egg the 1st time they do.

Cincinnati - 21

Pittsburgh - 7

I love your optimism, but I don't see any way we hold them to 7. If our D has a weakness it's against the pass, and the Steelers are very very good at coming up with big pass plays since Ben extends plays so well. The key is going to be whether or not our d-line can take him down before he gets that chance.

I think we CAN win this, but it's going to be a dog fight.

My thinking is the o-line for Pitt isn't that great. You have to be able to drop back to hit them bombs, and with our D-line rotation and how fired up they'll be I think they will give Ben a beating. They have been told they suck since that 1st preseason game against Detroit. Everyone has pointed to this game as the Bengals 1st real game. There is no way they don't realize that. Steelers will lose convincingly.

My thinking is the o-line for Pitt isn't that great. You have to be able to drop back to hit them bombs, and with our D-line rotation and how fired up they'll be I think they will give Ben a beating. They have been told they suck since that 1st preseason game against Detroit. Everyone has pointed to this game as the Bengals 1st real game. There is no way they don't realize that. Steelers will lose convincingly.

The Steelers offensive line started out terribly, but they seem to have improved as the seaon's gone on. We'll see.

I certainly hope you're right!

"Bengals just stay yourself dont get sucked into the media hype, just continue to be who you are!"

That's what has been so great about this team. Especially because of what we've been through with past players. The thing that sucks is we don't know who will start getting lethargic, big headed, thinking they are bigger than the team until all that hype hits. Remember how fun 2005 started? Then the way it ended and then the team slowly destructed to what it was last season. I hope they stay even keeled.

Emmanuel Sanders out after knee surgery, Whines expected to play despite "concussion-like" symptoms.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/08/steelers-sanders-undergoes-surgery-ward-expected-to-return/

That hurts the Steelers for sure. However, I'm most worried about Hall covering Wallace.

However, I'm most worried about Hall covering Wallace.

While I like Hall a lot, I agree. I'm terrified of Wallace if the pass rush can't prevent Roethlisberger from running around behind the line like a madman. We have to take advantage of that ailing, inconsistent Steelers offensive line.

I too worry about what Ben can do against this secondary if they cant get a pass rush.

Lets hope everybody can play this week, they will need everybody on board for this game!

Dalton needs to come out settled down, anybody else notice that when he is so amped, his passes sail sometimes?? Once he settles in his passes are pretty accurate. All he has to do is not turn the ball over, and do not force the ball into doulbe coverage. Throw the ball away if nothing is there!

Its going to be crazy, i hope there are more bengals fans there then Steelers!

Cincinnati - 21

Pittsburgh - 7

My money rides on Walzav

While I like Hall a lot, I agree. I'm terrified of Wallace if the pass rush can't prevent Roethlisberger from running around behind the line like a madman. We have to take advantage of that ailing, inconsistent Steelers offensive line.

I want to see them hit him at least 10 times. Just beat the living snot out of him.

I want to see them hit him at least 10 times. Just beat the living snot out of him.

I'm with you. Ben needs to spend most of sunday on the floor or sidelines. If we don't get to him quick, they could tear the secondary apart. O line needs to grind it out too, as i think we'll need to keep the ball as long as poss.

I'm still going for a Bengals win, but i think it'll be another close one...... 24-20

I want Roethlisberger's blood.

And I want what's left of Ward's cerebellum.

[media]http://youtu.be/bgb6Kwqfnzg

Heck, go for a scrotum and a throwing arm too and you could create your very own Frankensteeler !

I want Roethlisberger's blood.

And I want what's left of Ward's cerebellum.

[media]http://youtu.be/bgb6Kwqfnzg

Heck, go for a scrotum and a throwing arm too and you could create your very own Frankensteeler !

After his behavior the last couple off seasons, Worthlessburger doesn't deserve to have a scrotum.

I'm not sure I have a lot of hard evidence to support what I'm feeling... but this is the most confident I've ever felt on Steeler week.

I am actually inviting a few Steeler fans over to my house to watch the game. In the past I have been too nervous about enduring verbal abuse from Steeler fans in my own home. But I feel good about my chances to be the one pointing and laughing.

I'm not sure I have a lot of hard evidence to support what I'm feeling... but this is the most confident I've ever felt on Steeler week.

I am actually inviting a few Steeler fans over to my house to watch the game. In the past I have been too nervous about enduring verbal abuse from Steeler fans in my own home. But I feel good about my chances to be the one pointing and laughing.

That is brave. Let's hope you're right.

It's been years since I could talk smack about the Bengals and I miss it.