penn st

cincy9275

Mark Madden (who initially broke this story 7 months ago), is now saying that "The Second Mile" (Sandusky's charitable foundation for at-risk boys) was "pimping" kids out to rich donors.

He also alleged that Sandusky (who was viewed by most as the heir-apparent to Paterno's job) was forced to retire from coaching at the age of 55 in exchange for a cover-up.

Audio is here.

Holy F*ck! If either one of these things are true... the only rational solution is to make Happy Valley a nuclear wasteland! This is third-world style corruption.

You missed the most disturbing allegation: that the fact Sandusky was a pedophile was widely known around college football, which is why he never got another gig.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Madden (who initially broke this story 7 months ago), is now saying that "The Second Mile" (Sandusky's charitable foundation for at-risk boys) was "pimping" kids out to rich donors.

He also alleged that Sandusky (who was viewed by most as the heir-apparent to Paterno's job) was forced to retire from coaching at the age of 55 in exchange for a cover-up.

Audio is here.

Holy F*ck! If either one of these things are true... the only rational solution is to make Happy Valley a nuclear wasteland! This is third-world style corruption.

You missed the most disturbing allegation: that the fact Sandusky was a pedophile was widely known around college football, which is why he never got another gig.

Yeah. I heard that, but didn't know what to make of it. How does a rumor spread throughout college football, but not to the masses?

Yeah. I heard that, but didn't know what to make of it. How does a rumor spread throughout college football, but not to the masses?

Same way it spread among Penn state officials and coaches but not to the masses.

You know the old saw about secrets: once more than one person knows it, it isn't a secret any more.

Same way it spread among Penn state officials and coaches but not to the masses.

You know the old saw about secrets: once more than one person knows it, it isn't a secret any more.

We know how it spread among Penn State officials. No one reported it to the authorities... they all passed the buck up the chain of command.

In order for it to be known throughout all of college football, the people who were covering it up would have had to intentionally pass the information along to other administrations... which is the opposite of a cover-up.

That sounds more like a conspiracy theory.

My wife has an interesting theory based on the timeline and some of these rumors.

The incident in 1998 was investigated by the police. Sandusky retired in 1999 in exchange for a cover-up.

At that point it was relatively well-known throughout the Penn State football staff that this guy was a pedophile.

3 years later, Mike McQueary walks in on Sandusky raping a 10-year old boy. Why didn't he call the police? Because it wasn't new information. Everyone, including the police, already knew. He was simply a new eye-witness. He was scared because he was a witness to something the administration (and perhaps the District Attorney) had already agreed to cover-up. (Kind of like a bad movie where you can't go to the police, because they are in on it).

He waits until the next day to tell Paterno. Paterno waits until the day after that to move it up the chain of command. These aren't the actions of people who are horrified and shocked. These are the actions of people who are trying to calculate what the smart thing to do is given the fact that there has already been a large scale cover-up regarding this issue.

And what did administration do to Sandusky in 2003? They took his locker-room keys... and told him not to bring boys on campus anymore. In other words... "If we're going to keep covering this up, we can't have any more eye-witnesses."

In order for it to be known throughout all of college football, the people who were covering it up would have had to intentionally pass the information along to other administrations.

All they had to do was point out the 1998 investigation to anyone who called for a reference. Even an investigation into such a thing would send any program running.

3 years later, Mike McQueary walks in on Sandusky raping a 10-year old boy. Why didn't he call the police? Because it wasn't new information. Everyone, including the police, already knew. He was simply a new eye-witness. He was scared because he was a witness to something the administration (and perhaps the District Attorney) had already agreed to cover-up. (Kind of like a bad movie where you can't go to the police, because they are in on it).

He waits until the next day to tell Paterno. Paterno waits until the day after that to move it up the chain of command. These aren't the actions of people who are horrified and shocked. These are the actions of people who are trying to calculate what the smart thing to do is given the fact that there has already been a large scale cover-up regarding this issue.

Makes sense.

• 2 months later...

Joe Paterno is dead.

/>http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight

Sad that such a remarkable career ended the way it did.

Well it didn't have to end that way had he done what was right and made sure the pedophile Sandusky was brought to justice. Sure, Joe advised his superiors, but nothing happened and he let it go. Wrong decision there.

I will say Joe did many great and good things in his lifetime, but as one ex-boss of mine explained to me before letting me go, "One big f**k up will erase a thousand attaboys".

Well it didn't have to end that way had he done what was right and made sure the pedophile Sandusky was brought to justice.

Yup. He found out about it, had the vp of finance and the AD over to his house in the evening for a secret meeting about it, and from that point on no one else found out about it. Obviously, they conspired to cover it up, allowing more little kids to get raped by that pervert. But they protected Joe's good name, which by then had become the paramount concern in State College. Protect our little national treasure, who cares if some fatherless kids are getting raped on campus?

The chickens came home to roost in this case. The only positive thing I can say about Joe Paeterno is that once he was found out he was consistently contrite, openly saying he should have done more.

Was he wrong for how he handled (or didn't) the situation ?? Obviously. It was quite the f*ck up on his part.

That being said, there's no discounting his contribution to college football and him being one of the greats of all time.

I wonder how they go about honoring his life after being fired from the university ??

Quite the sad situation and i'm glad I don't have to handle that.

Prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

• 4 months later...

Somehow, some way, the spin I'm getting from watching the media coverage of this trial it seems Jerry may be aquitted from these charges. I honestly cannot see how. Then again I didn't see O.J. walking on his murder charges either.

They better convict this pedophile in this case, or I've lost all faith in our legal system. He didn't even have the guts to take the stand in his own defense, and let me tell you boys if I was wrongfully accused of a crime, you couldn't get me off the stand. He's hiding behind a well bought team of lawyers just as Simpson did. I pray the jury sees through this BS.

• 3 weeks later...

As more info comes out about this Sandusky/Penn State investigation, the worse it looks on all of those involved. And the Paterno family has the nerve to say Joe's legacy is being unduly besmirched. If you ask me his legacy is shot.

And the Freeh Report is out.

/>http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8159195/report-says-penn-state-nittany-lions-senior-officials-disregarded-children-welfare

I had some time this a.m. so I actually downloaded a copy and skimmed through it. Nothing we didn't already know -- but the length of the report and level of detail really brings it all home. I love how everyone claims they didn't know what was "really" going on, but that's only because they made every effort not to find out. The level of cowardice on display is simply stunning.

Penn State is shocked! Shocked.

How can you be shocked. Your coach used his influence and power to hang onto the job long after he could actually even do the job. To the point where he didn't even go to work a lot of days, he "coached from home," as they called it. Now they are surprised when he acted selfishly and did something that served only himself, at the expense of others? The mere fact that he was even the head coach for those last 15 years was an ultimate act of selfishness.

No one had the balls to walk up to him and tell him he was too old and feeble to do the very demanding job of head coach at a major college. He rightly figured no one would have the balls to walk up to him and say your assistant coach is a child molesting piece of crap and I'm calling the cops. He was right, too. No one ever did that.

He knew this s**t was going on for like 13 years. Shame on him, his legacy is in tatters. He deserves the infamy.

And now they are considering "IF" they should take down his statue.

Hmmmmmm...

The statue is at fault? Ok... I guess the real Paterno and the bronze statue of Paterno made the same amount of effort to stop a child molester.

Although, to honor the true character of Joe Paterno, they should change the statue so that it is looking the other way.

I heard the Paterno family blathering right after the Freeh report came out. They said something like, "no right minded person like Joe Paterno would knowingly cover up for a pedophile."

As if those were Joe's options: cover up a pedophile scandal or don't cover it up. Wake the f**k up. No way in hell did Joe Paterno want to cover up for a pedophile. He just wanted to endure a pedophile scandal, that would stain his legacy and possibly get him fired, even less than he wanted to cover up for a pedophile.

Sorry Paterno family. The email trail is convincing and irrefutable. The authorities at Penn State planned to turn Sandusky in to the police. Then one of them had a meeting with Joe Paterno. Then, based on feedback from Joe at that meeting, they changed their minds and didn't report it.

Case f**king closed.

Joe doesn't have many defenders right now but here's one, baseball guru Bill James:

--The Freeh reports states quite explicitly and at least six times (a) that the 1998 incident did NOT involve any criminal conduct -- on the part of Sandusky or anyone else -- and that Paterno had forced the resignation of Sandusky before the 1998 incident occurred.

In any case, what EXACTLY is it that Paterno should have done? Fire him again? It is preposterous to argue, in my view, that PATERNO should have taken action after all of the people who were legally charged to take action had thoroughly examined the case and decided that no action was appropriate.

The 1998 incident was perceived AT THE TIME to involve no criminal conduct. The May 3, 1998 incident was very, very, very thoroughly investigated by at least four different agencies (University police, state police, and two different child welfare agencies), all four of which issued written reports stating that no criminal event had occurred. In retrospect, since the actions were part of a pattern of criminal conduct, it may be said that they were criminal conduct in and of themselves, but no one saw that at the time.

--It's very hard, in fact I think it's impossible, to explain why Paterno should have been the person to go to the police. Paterno didn't see anything. Paterno was not the reporting authority. Sandusky did not work for Paterno. Paterno had no supervised authority over Sandusky. It's extremely difficult to explain why it was Paterno's responsibility to go to the police. He knew less about it than everybody else there.

--False. Absolutely false. That's the key thing. You're saying everything revolves around him. It's total nonsense. He had very few allies. He was isolated, and he was not nearly as powerful as people imagine him to have been. And he had poor sources.

/>http://deadspin.com/5926485/red-sox-...ng-joe-paterno