Still no love!!

combatbengal

You know, every so-called football exert wrote us off before training camp even started this season. All they spoke about was Palmer being retired, 85 departed, we had a raw rookie QB and weren’t going to win with such a young team. However, we’ve shocked the world with our results thus far. But, we still aren’t getting any love. During the half time show in the Ravens, Pitt game last night, neither our game nor our win was mentioned. On NFL.com this morning, we’re not mentioned in the headlines either! Even though the Steelers lost and we’re in the hunt for another division title, we’re treated as though we don’t exist!

I absolutely hate our local sports anchors here in Columbus. They’ll talk about the Buckeyes (which I have no issue with), the Clowns and the Steelers, but hardly ever mention the Bengals! Not sure what we’ll have to do to get noticed, but then maybe that’s a good thing. Nobody expects us to go anywhere! I’d love to see us win the division, win some playoff games and ……. Who Dey!!

Oh, I don't know. We're not going to get the attention perennial winners get, because....we haven't been perennial winners. That said, if you go check out the Media Shift thread, you'll see that people are taking notice.

Regradless, if the Bengals want some recognition, there's an easy answer. Beat Pitt. this weekend, and watch the love fest begin.

Reedy says that the Steelers are going to open as 3 point favorites in Cincinnati.

I love it! The perception is that the Steelers are a good team, but the Bengals got lucky with an easy schedule.

But both teams have 6 wins. Cincy's wins came against teams that are a combined 16-32. Pittsburgh's wins came against teams that are a combined 15-33.

Four of Pittsburgh's six wins came against common opponents (Sea, Indy, Tenn, Jac... their other 2 wins are against Ari and NE). Only 4 of their opponents all season have a winning record (NE, Hou, and Balt x2), and they are 1-3 in those games.

I'll take the points. Thanks Vegas!

Bengals have 5 home games and 3 road games remaining. Of the road games 1 each are at Pit. and Balt. and the 3rd is at St. Louis. Balt. still has road games at Seattle and San Diego which are tough travel games typically. Pitt. still has to travel to SF. All in all, there's at least some reason to feel like, at worst, we have comparable remaining schedules if not more favorable. Overall, Pit. probably has the easiest teams to play against, but that SF game is looming for them.

Most of what I've read since about the 3rd week amounts to..."Bengals look good now, but I'm reserving judgment til after next week when they play ________..." The fact is, if they can play around even in the 4 vs. Pit. and Balt. this could still be close when it comes down to week 17 vs. Balt. at home. For all the world, it looks like the Rats are most likely to be the biggest obstacle.

This from CBS Sportsline:

"There's plenty of football left, but the Ravens have swept the Steelers in their two games and, unless Cincinnati is for real, have a clear path to the division title."

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers

Well, that pretty much sums up the general outsider sentiment, huh?

This from CBS Sportsline:

"There's plenty of football left, but the Ravens have swept the Steelers in their two games and, unless Cincinnati is for real, have a clear path to the division title."

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers

Well, that pretty much sums up the general outsider sentiment, huh?

I don't think that's unreasonable. The Ravens have been fairly consistent winners for a number of years. The Bengals have occasional good seasons. This year, they started with expectations of putridity, and are doing very well, but don't have a signature win yet. This last one is certainly close in that regard. Still, until they beat Baltimore or Pittsburgh, that's how it will be. And honestly, I have no problem with that. This is the AFC north, that's how it goes.

If they go 2-2 against Balt and Pitt, they may win the division. If they go 0-4, they have no right to complain. Seems fair.

Still, the media sentiment is shifting gradually with every week.

yeah same thing at pft

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/07/its-looking-like-a-ravens-year-in-the-afc-north/

It’s Baltimore’s division to lose now. They are a game ahead of Pittsburgh in the loss column, and they have the season sweep.

why is it not bengals' divison to lose?

I love what the Bengals are doing, but they still have four games left against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. If the Bengals are still tied for first place in two weeks (after facing the Steelers then traveling to Baltimore), then the Bengals are right in the mix.

bengals cant be in lead in 2 weeks???? best chance they can hope for is TIE???

I'm sorry but the Ravens are not nearly as good as what they are made out to be. Every year we hear how they will dismantle the Bengals. The Bengals have taken the last 3 of 4 games and nearly won the last game played in Baltimore.

Marvin is 10-6 versus the Ravens with the most recent wins coming from the Bengals DEFENSE stopping Baltimore and not depending on Palmer for big games. I just don't see what the media sees with Baltimore. They are a good team and they may win the division but I think handing them the AFCN WITHOUT having faced the Bengals yet is rediculous.

However, I do like the media completely ignoring the Bengals and ask them to continue to do so. So far, it's working.

And I forgot to add, the Ravens will LOSE at Seattle this weekend. Flacco and the Ravens get rattled on the road.

I'm hoping they take Seattle lightly and underestimate that place

And I forgot to add, the Ravens will LOSE at Seattle this weekend. Flacco and the Ravens get rattled on the road.

I honestly think that the 12th man will be too much for the Ravens. Flacco is not consistent enough for them to run away with the AFCN.

If the Bengals just keep playing a game at a time and for each other, they will be fine. They have a good shot at the playoffs with their current mindset. Nobody believes in them and they are just taking down as many teams as they can right now.

Win or lose, you have to LOVE this team!

of course they will, if bengals beat them then seahawks must be nothing

Honestly, Flacco isn't as good now as when he was a rookie. Bill Simmons of ESPN did his QB rankings a couple weeks ago. He had Dalton (a rookie) and Flacco tied for 17th best (I believe). Simmons followed that by saying that he'd have put Dalton 6 places higher but didn't want his readers laughing at him.

Just saying - it's not just Bengals fans seeing things this way. Dalton's getting some real attention for playing well, and Dalton's suckage has been noticed as well.

Come out of the next four at 8-4 and the love wil be there.

Not necessarily. If the two loses are Pittsburgh and Baltimore, then, even at 8-4, the love will not be there. Need to take at least one of those.

If we get to 8-4 we'd have to beat Balt/Pitt at least once, since 3 of the next 4 games involve those two teams