Not piling on old Mike Brown

walzav29

I just read that Schefter did a story yesterday on how Brown had to be talked out of drafting Mallet, and to take Andy Dalton. You know they had to talk him into trading Palmer and what a deal. I wish Schefter, Lacanfora, Mortenson, or Glazer could find out how much say Marv has now compared to past seasons. Marv has done a tremendous job in Cincinnati. You have to wonder if Mike would have listened to Marv years ago if things would have turned out different. Get rid of Chad and the other morons. Carson did us a huge favor by being such a wuss.

• Like 1

Ryan Mallett has Mike Brown selection written all over him. Huge upside, devalued in the draft due to character questions. Better downfield arm than Dalton, but you can count on Dalton to show up and play football. Mallett is still an unknown quantity.

Typical Mike though, hire an OC, then pick a quarterback to run a different offense.

Ryan Mallett has Mike Brown selection written all over him. Huge upside, devalued in the draft due to character questions. Better downfield arm than Dalton, but you can count on Dalton to show up and play football. Mallett is still an unknown quantity.

Typical Mike though, hire an OC, then pick a quarterback to run a different offense.

I don't see why you'd criticize for something that didn't actually happen. There's enough to criticize, isn't there?

Nothing is "not" true about this most likely.

Mike Brown has always been better off listening to his coaches and scouts than to himself. If he gets out of the way and lets the people who have experience in other organizations make decisions and draft the players they want and have to coach every second of the day, maybe seasons like this will happen more often (even if they end up 8-8, they can at least work with what they have and not have to worry so much about players being suspended, quitting, or holding out constantly).

I don't see why you'd criticize for something that didn't actually happen. There's enough to criticize, isn't there?

Here's something that did actually happen: THe last twenty years.

Time will tell whether it was a good move. We don't know anything about Mallett as a pro yet. I thought he was the best looking QB coming out last year but I must say I don't know much about what's going on between his ears. I think he will do very well taking over for Brady in NE at some point

Time will tell whether it was a good move. We don't know anything about Mallett as a pro yet. I thought he was the best looking QB coming out last year but I must say I don't know much about what's going on between his ears. I think he will do very well taking over for Brady in NE at some point

Ryan Mallett has not thrown a regular season pass yet but people are acting like Mike Brown was an idiot to suggest Mallet over Dalton. This wasn't the first pick of the draft that Mike Brown was arguing over, it was a guy that all the scouts agreed had the best arm of the quarterbacks coming out but had zero escape ability and maybe liked to smoke those funny cigarettes even though it was never proven. If we would have drafted Mallett well Gruden better had learned to call plays that played to his strength that's his job. What I saw of them in college Dalton has a better pocket presence than Mallet but damn sure Mallet has a better arm. Jury is still out, I'm just praying that Dalton ceiling is a lot higher than what most people think it is.

The rumors about Brown swooning over Mallet go way back to before the draft. I have no idea if they were/are true, but like COB says Mallet is certainly in that class of big, cannon-armed, immobile QBs (think Bledsoe and Palmer) that he's always liked.

FWIW, had Palmer not quit I can easily see a scenario in which Mallet is our No. 2 QB right now. If Carson doesn't walk out on them, then the Bengals probably stick with the "continuity" theme in the offseason. So there's no change in the offensive system or the OC, though perhaps they bring someone in to (ahem) "assist" Bratkowski (supposedly they offered Childress something along those lines, which he declined).

At the same time, Marvin has confessed that the team was discussing replacing Palmer internally at least a year before he issued his trade demand. So they were clearly edging into the market for a "QB of the Future," even if they weren't ready to plunge in with a top pick. And with no change in the offense they wouldn't be looking for a WCO QB, but a Palmer clone. Given all that, I can't see them passing on Mallet in the third last April. He might not have made it past them in the second.

Mallet would have been horrible in Gruden's offense. Mallet came from an offense at Arkansas where it was close to an Oakland Raiders style with a heavy running game and deep vertical passing game. I don't think Mallet even fits into the Pats style of play and quite honestly from what I have heard, I don't think he is smart enough to run it. I think they may have drafted him just for the value of the pick and with hopes in the future they can get something in return for him. We'll see.

The rumors about Brown swooning over Mallet go way back to before the draft. I have no idea if they were/are true, but like COB says Mallet is certainly in that class of big, cannon-armed, immobile QBs (think Bledsoe and Palmer) that he's always liked.

FWIW, had Palmer not quit I can easily see a scenario in which Mallet is our No. 2 QB right now. If Carson doesn't walk out on them, then the Bengals probably stick with the "continuity" theme in the offseason. So there's no change in the offensive system or the OC, though perhaps they bring someone in to (ahem) "assist" Bratkowski (supposedly they offered Childress something along those lines, which he declined).

At the same time, Marvin has confessed that the team was discussing replacing Palmer internally at least a year before he issued his trade demand. So they were clearly edging into the market for a "QB of the Future," even if they weren't ready to plunge in with a top pick. And with no change in the offense they wouldn't be looking for a WCO QB, but a Palmer clone. Given all that, I can't see them passing on Mallet in the third last April. He might not have made it past them in the second.

That's all good stuff there. I agree we would have taken him had Palmer not quit. If he truly is a cannibas enthusiast, he and Jerome would probably have been roommates, and he'd probably be facing the same thing Jerome is facing. So Carson quitting probably saved Ryan Mallett from a felony conviction, a year in prison, and a smeared reputation that could have ruined his young career. So Carson saved the Cincinnati offense and fan base, and among other things he saved Ryan Mallett. Carson's pretty heroic, when you think about it.

Unless you're a Raider fan.

I just read that Schefter did a story yesterday on how Brown had to be talked out of drafting Mallet, and to take Andy Dalton. You know they had to talk him into trading Palmer and what a deal. I wish Schefter, Lacanfora, Mortenson, or Glazer could find out how much say Marv has now compared to past seasons. Marv has done a tremendous job in Cincinnati. You have to wonder if Mike would have listened to Marv years ago if things would have turned out different. Get rid of Chad and the other morons. Carson did us a huge favor by being such a wuss.

These stories now breaking don't surprise me at all. I knew and said it wasn't Mikey Boy pulling the strings on most of this, and never believed "the light suddenly came on" after 20 + years. Things don't happen that way. Marvin probably deserves more credit than any of us realize because by him not immediately signing an extension and getting Mikey to give up some control over decisions, he has helped shape this team the way he wants. Marvin did it the smart way, he had enough and told Mikey he needed more control or he wouldn't be back, and Mikey did the right thing and gave it to him....so Kudos to Mike Brown for finally doing something right for this franchise.

The haters always say Mike Brown is ultimately responsible for everything that happens on his watch, right?

This.

That's been the longstanding argument for years in order to make Mike Brown the scapegoat for all of the problems with this franchise.

It turns out that such an argument is a bit of a double-edged sword.

:cheers:

s**t i think brown deserves a lot of credit. after all mike is the end of the line here nothing happens unless he says so.

look at the f/a's he has brought in, nugent, howard, lawson, clements, crocker, benson. trades for guys like leonard, nelson, tate, mays. then add he completely raped the raiders in the deal for palmer and 2 damn good past drafts. mike has put together a damn good team with a very good core of young talent. plus future picks! is mike finally getting it, sure looks like it to me. i hope he keeps it up! hats of to the man! WHO f**king DEY MIKEY!

One other thing to keep in mind with the whole MB criticism train.

He was against the old CBA, and we struggled. The value on FA's and Draft picks was all whacky. This new CBA is much more business friendly, and I think you're going to see him work the system like master. Love him or hate him, if there's one thing you can say about MB, it's that he's a helluva business man.