Where are they now 50 draft busts

Spor_tees

Came across this article after reading an article about Kyle Turley's new rock band. It is a "Where are they now? Draft's Top 50 Busts." (No they are not talking about Andre Smith like Bust)

Top 50 Busts Where are they now?

42. Akili Smith, Oregon, QB (No. 3 overall, 1995): Started just 17 games over four seasons with the Bengals and three 13 picks to just five touchdowns. He�s now an assistant coach at Cal under his old offensive coordinator, Jeff Tedford. [uPDATE: Smith is no longer on Tedford's staff and is now an assistant at his old high school in San Diego.]

41. Reggie Rembert, West Virginia, WR (No. 28 overall, 1990): Never signed with the team who drafted him (Jets) and went to Cincinnati for a mediocre three seasons. His whereabouts are unknown.

26. Jack Thompson, Washington State, QB (No. 3 overall, 1979): The “Throwin’ Samoan” could never unseat Ken Anderson, the starter at Cincinnati. He recently helped Washington State and World Vision to help raise money for the tsunami in American Samoa.

17. David Klingler, Houston, QB (No. 6 overall, 1992): Went 4-20 as a starter with 20 interceptions to 15 touchdowns. Now has a master�s in theology and helps with Sunday school at Katy First Baptist Church in Katy, TX.

16. Peter Warrick, Florida State, WR (No. 4 overall, 2000): Had five mediocre years in the NFL then bounced around other pro leagues, most recently cut in the UFL last fall. Now lives in Atlanta, GA, and owns an Applebee�s in Sarasota, FL. He hasn’t ruled out another comeback attempt. [uPDATE: Warrick is now an assistant at his old high school in Bradenton, FL.]

How the hell is Ki-Jana Carter not on this list? In case you are wondering yes, Ryan Leaf was #1.

And didn't the No. 50 selection Michael Westbrook play a season in Cincy too ??

How is Dan Wilkinson not on the list...

I don't think Wilkinson makes the list simply because of his longevity. He played 10+ years in the league. On a side note, here is a number to remember about Wilkinson, 11. Believe it or not, in his career he had 11 interceptions!

Last I heard about Kyle Turley, he was suffering some very serious symptoms related to concussions/head trauma. Has he recovered from that?

Here is the link to the article. It mentions a lot of the problems he still has, and mentions he will be playing a tailgate party at the Bengals/Titans game.

Kyle Turley Rockband

Kyle Turley also has a beef with former Buckeye and Minnesota Viking Robert Smith. I guess along with all of Smith's TV duties, he is also the guy that determines if an NFL player gets retirement benefits or not. Turley says, "He's no doctor." So I decided to look it up because I knew Smith went to Med School. Well on his Wikipedia page it doesn't say anything about becoming a doctor, just that he attended Med School, so who knows.

One crazy fact I found on there:

Holds the all-time NFL record for average yards per touchdown run at 27.2

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There are some players right now that are lucky if they get one of those in a season! Benson has one this year...ONE. This record was over a career. A career of 32 touchdowns!

Kyle Turley also has a beef with former Buckeye and Minnesota Viking Robert Smith. I guess along with all of Smith's TV duties, he is also the guy that determines if an NFL player gets retirement benefits or not. Turley says, "He's no doctor." So I decided to look it up because I knew Smith went to Med School. Well on his Wikipedia page it doesn't say anything about becoming a doctor, just that he attended Med School, so who knows.

One crazy fact I found on there:

Holds the all-time NFL record for average yards per touchdown run at 27.2

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There are some players right now that are lucky if they get one of those in a season! Benson has one this year...ONE. This record was over a career. A career of 32 touchdowns!

I don't remember Smith going to medical school. I remember when he was at Ohio State he bitched a lot about having to practice because he wanted to spend more time studying, because he planned to be a doctor. Then he left after 3 years with no undergraduate degree. To my knowledge he has never even obtained his bachelors, let alone attended medical school. I checked his wikipedia page and it didn't say he attended medical school.

I guess I read his bio wrong it said he intended on returning to Med School. I can't find any new news on whether he ever did, and the newest article that talks about it is from 2003. I would find it hard to believe the NFL would put him in a position like that without some kind of degree or Medical knowledge.

I would find it hard to believe the NFL would put him in a position like that without some kind of degree or Medical knowledge.

I guess thus Turley's frustration with the whole situation. In defense of the NFL, I think Smith is just one member of a committee that makes the decisions.

Odd side note: Back when Smith was like a sophomore, I found myself in Syracuse, New York, on the weekend the buckeyes were playing Syracuse in their dome. I think Syracuse was ranked number one at the time. Anyway I scrounged a ticket and saw the Buckeyes beat them pretty bad with Smith really playing well. The odd thing was, at the end of one touchdown run, while he was still moving across the endzone, the contents of his stomach projectiled out from behind his facemask onto the plastic turf. Let's see Chad duplicate that celebration!

I would find it hard to believe the NFL would put him in a position like that without some kind of degree or Medical knowledge.

I guess thus Turley's frustration with the whole situation. In defense of the NFL, I think Smith is just one member of a committee that makes the decisions.

Odd side note: Back when Smith was like a sophomore, I found myself in Syracuse, New York, on the weekend the buckeyes were playing Syracuse in their dome. I think Syracuse was ranked number one at the time. Anyway I scrounged a ticket and saw the Buckeyes beat them pretty bad with Smith really playing well. The odd thing was, at the end of one touchdown run, while he was still moving across the endzone, the contents of his stomach projectiled out from behind his facemask onto the plastic turf. Let's see Chad duplicate that celebration!

Yummy A la "Steam'n" Willie Beamon!

I still can't get over how remarkable it is that he averaged 27.2 yards per TD run in his career. That's crazy sick.

How the hell is Ki-Jana Carter not on this list?

Let me just tell you, had Ki-Jana Carter not tore up his knee, or if the surgery back then was as good as it is Today (16 years later) he would have been one hell of a RB. I don't think a player should be on the list due to Injury. Only if they just sucked.

Nobody knows for sure, but I was on the sidelines helpless, watching this dude rip us apart in the '95 Rose Bowl game......All our guys were talking about his burst, and how strong his legs were......

He could have been special......

How the hell is Ki-Jana Carter not on this list?

Let me just tell you, had Ki-Jana Carter not tore up his knee, or if the surgery back then was as good as it is Today (16 years later) he would have been one hell of a RB. I don't think a player should be on the list due to Injury. Only if they just sucked.

Nobody knows for sure, but I was on the sidelines helpless, watching this dude rip us apart in the '95 Rose Bowl game......All our guys were talking about his burst, and how strong his legs were......

He could have been special......

You make a good argument and I have to only speculate on how good he could have been.

Could he have been as good as fellow Penn State Runningbacks such as DJ Dozier, Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, Tony Hunt, Mazio Royster, and Micheal Robinson? I dunno.

He would have been lucky to have been even a shadow of Larry Johnson, and that is saying much considering the staying power of his talent.

So you're right he could have been special, but alas Corky was left with empty seat next to him on the bus.