Need Your Help Bengal Fans, our past drafts.

kenyon1977

So I have a pay fantasy league that has been running for 12 years now. The only other member that has been in it for all 12 seasons is a damn Steeler fan. He has given me so much crap over the past twelve years. Now he has decided to talk sh&t about the Palmer trade. He said the Raiders are morons for giving the two first rounders (possibly 1, and a 2), but it doesn't matter because the Bengals will just screw it all up anyways. Now I know the past past hasn't been all that good when it comes to draft day decisions, and usually when this fellow talks his trash I'm there face to face and just lash out drunkenly to shut him up, however he's in the Air Force stationed over seas currently and that puts a hamper on things so now I need stats, and proof.

So does anyone have a list of the past drafts compiled? with who are starters now across the league? and for the current team that is 4-2? or any other ammo would be nice.

Grrrrr, tired of this year after year, just want to shut him the hell up for a little while.

Thanks all,

DANIMAL

First thing to do, is tell him you were drunk for most of the 90's so you don't remember anything and much of it is a blur. After that you should be fine. Honestly when talking to a Steelers fan about the draft there isn't much you can do because in like a 4 year stretch they drafted almost all the components of their dynasty. It was pretty remarkable really.

The Steelers' history of bad luck changed with the hiring of coach Chuck Noll for the 1969 season. Noll's most remarkable talent was in his draft selections, taking Hall of Famers "Mean" Joe Greene in 1969, Terry Bradshaw and Mel Blount in 1970, Jack Ham in 1971, Franco Harris in 1972,[13] and finally, in 1974, pulled off the incredible feat of selecting four Hall of Famers in one draft year, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, and Mike Webster.[14] The Pittsburgh Steelers' 1974 draft was their best ever, and no other team has ever drafted four future Hall of Famers in one year, and only very few (including the 1970 Steelers) have drafted two or more in one year.

That's from the Wikipedia page. Honestly if the guy knows his stuff it isn't worth arguing about. Change the subject to the last year the Steelers swept the division, or something like that.

I think the choices made in the past few drafts in rounds 1 and 2 (since the framework here is how well the Bengals expect to do with the r1 and r2 pick from the Raiders) really speak for themselves.

Marvin has done well above average with his picks in r1 and r2 for the last 6 years, with the last stinker all the way back in 2005 - Pollack, Odell, and Cheech Henry - and if those players had managed to avoid injury, alcohol, and/or sheer idiocy (in that order, more or less) that draft might actually have been considered better than the drafts thereafter. Coulda woulda shoulda, ah well.

so

2011: I doubt there are many teams who can legitimately claim to have done so well with their 1&2, at least so far

1 - WR AJ Green

2 - Andy Dalton

2010: a solid starter with upside and a budding star passrushing DE. Pretty darned good.

1 - Jermain Gresham

2 - Carlos Dunlap

2009: Two starters. Better than average results, overall

1 - Andre Smith

2 - Rey Maualuga

2008: One a starter this year, the other a starter the previous two years. Again, a better than average haul

1 - Keith Rivers

2 - Jerome Simpson

2007: a solid starter and an injury settlement. This is the weakest of the most recent drafts. And Kenny really looked good before he went down, really really good.

1 - Leon Hall

2 - Kenny Irons

2006: two well above average starters, one was one of the top most coveted free agents in the league this past offseason, and whose loss will earn us a comp-3 in 2012

1 - Jonathan Joseph

2 - Andrew Whitworth

But TJ those are only the top 2 picks. I once heard a saying about the draft that said, it's easy to pick good players in the early rounds, but when you get the good ones in the late rounds, that is what will make you a great team. That's not the exact wording of it but you get the point.

Lets say you only draft two starting quality players each year, and in a perfect world after 11 years you get a full team of first and second round picks, some guys are going to be ready to retire, or will have already done so by that point. You got to avoid failure in the early rounds, but be very successful in the late rounds. Sounds corny but its true.

BB - I understand what you are saying, and agree

but

in reading Danimals original post, the point where his overseas associate claims we'll blow the picks we gained in the Carson trade is generally disproven by the quality of player the Bengals have obtained with picks in those same rounds over the past 6 years

I am only addressing that one "point" (if you can call it that, tho I'd liken it more to drunken babbling) in my post

I do realize Danimal wanted more ammunition - but thats all I have for the moment

but

in reading Danimals original post, the point where his overseas associate claims we'll blow the picks we gained in the Carson trade is generally disproven by the quality of player the Bengals have obtained with picks in those same rounds over the past 6 years

I am only addressing that one "point" (if you can call it that, tho I'd liken it more to drunken babbling) in my post

Yeah I don't see how anyone in their right mind (Which Steeler's fans usually aren't) could say the Bengals can't get some real value out of a first and second round pick for Palmer.

Palmer was never going to suit up in a Bengals uniform ever again so it would be the equivalent to trading a VCR to someone for a Blu-ray and a subscription to Netflix. There is no comparison.

but

I do realize Danimal wanted more ammunition - but thats all I have for the moment

This is were I should stick to. 1st and 2nd round picks. That's my arguement. The Bengals have done well with early round picks recently and there's no reason to believe that; that would change. I mean somewhere along the line our one scout must have gotten himself DSL and dropped the AOL dial-up.

Was there anything good in the 3rd and 4th rounds out of those years listed above?

a few

see for yourself: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0920&type=team

my favorite recent mid round picks are Huber at 5, Geno at 4, and Boling at 4. My favorite recent late round pick by far was Bernard Scott at 6.

and of course, we pick some Otis's too, but lets not talk about Otis :)

I like the help you guys have posted so far. Was there anything good in the 3rd and 4th rounds out of those years listed above?

Just go to this link and you can get everything you want and more.

Bengals draft history

Sweet, thanks for the link. Hell exclude Perry and Pollack and they have had good drafts back to 2003. That's a pretty damn good run. Where it lists 2011 status of the players and it says they are a free-agent, starter, possible starter, etc etc, it's weird to see Deceased next to Chris Henry's name still.

I like the help you guys have posted so far. Was there anything good in the 3rd and 4th rounds out of those years listed above?

Just go to this link and you can get everything you want and more.

Bengals draft history

Sweet, thanks for the link. Hell exclude Perry and Pollack and they have had good drafts back to 2003. That's a pretty damn good run. Where it lists 2011 status of the players and it says they are a free-agent, starter, possible starter, etc etc, it's weird to see Deceased next to Chris Henry's name still.

Yeah its kinda not good that every player the Bengals draft in 2005 is out of the league. That's only been 6 years ago.

its kinda not good that every player the Bengals draft in 2005 is out of the league. That's only been 6 years ago.

A rather large Samoan fellow named Johnathan Fanene is waiting out in the parking lot for you. He doesn't look happy.

Fanene loosely translates to 'runt of the litter' in Samoan. I'm not scared.

its kinda not good that every player the Bengals draft in 2005 is out of the league. That's only been 6 years ago.

A rather large Samoan fellow named Johnathan Fanene is waiting out in the parking lot for you. He doesn't look happy.

Fanene loosely translates to 'runt of the litter' in Samoan. I'm not scared.

Hey, hey, hey.....Fanene is leading the Bengals in Sacks this year.....Granted it's only 3, but he's still leading the Team.

Well, keep in mind that this is a Steelers fan, BB, with a median IQ not quite approaching agreen/gizzle's

so there's that

Oh he was by recently and left a package for you...he said something about it being important.

Could this be Spains missing football jersey finally returned from the postal service ????? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: