The Death of the Big East

Spor_tees

Just yesterday the Big East was a power conference that had the best basketball in college athletics and had an up and coming football conference with the emergence of teams like Cincinnati, Rutgers, Connecticut, and powerhouse West Virginia. Now they are bottom feeding to just fill a conference looking for the likes of the service academies, Central Florida, SMU, and the like. What the hell happened? I'm a Notre Dame fan and now the Big East isn't looking so appealing for basketball. Should Notre Dame move, or just go back to independent in all sports? I'd say they could move to the Big 10 (or whatever it calls itself now) but they won't offer Notre Dame a spot unless they move football to the conference too.

I just think it is so sad we are seeing the death of a once great Conference, and such a change in college tradition across the nation. Nebraska in the Big 10? Tom Osborne must be rolling over in his grave. No more Red River Rivalry. Missouri in the SEC? How does that make sense? WVU in the Big 12? Might as well put Hawaii in the Big East. It's just dumb.

Do you think the Big East would be collapsing if Notre Dame had joined for football as well as basketball? Not likely. Notre Dame's selfish me-first attitude towards its football program is what helped destroy the Big East.

They joined in EVERY sport but Football. If you haven't noticed Notre Dame has a pretty good athletic program other than football. Almost every year they are competing for the all around college athletics trophy. If you were Notre Dame and you had an exclusive contract with NBC that paid you millions of dollars would you give that up? No. No way. What Notre Dame gives the Big East, even without the football program, is more than what most other schools do.

Speaking in terms of strictly division I college football, there seems to be none stronger than the SEC. Two teams (LSU and Alabama) sit solidly upon the top of the rankings, and I doubt that will change.

Neither will who comes out on top for the NCAA Championship. The SEC has dominated for the past 5+ years. It shall continue.

Speaking in terms of strictly division I college football, there seems to be none stronger than the SEC. Two teams (LSU and Alabama) sit solidly upon the top of the rankings, and I doubt that will change.

Neither will who comes out on top for the NCAA Championship. The SEC has dominated for the past 5+ years. It shall continue.

I'm not talking about just football. I am talking about the whole of college athletics. Think of all the rivalries and traditions that will soon be lost. I guess this also makes a point in Notre Dame's favor to stay independent in football. If they were to join a conference they would no longer be able to schedule all the rivalry games they do now. I know the service academies in particular would lose out because it is usually the game of the year for them to play the Irish. The Notre Dame and USC game is one of the oldest rivalries in football. Michigan and Notre Dame has gone back many years as well. Maybe I am becoming an old fool, but I think all this change is going to do nothing but hurt college athletics. With the new $2,000 athlete grant being proposed it is making college athletics more like a 'minor league' for the pros than a college. Its a crying shame.