What positions do we address?

walzav29

Why even consider moving Whit from LT? He's playing as well as any tackle in the league. No way we draft a center in R2 or R3 with Cook just signing an extension. I would be very upset if we use a top pick on a Tackle. Our needs are on the interior, not at the tackles. Andre is playing much better and Whit is one of the best LTs in the league.

I agree with everything said above by the poster with the ridiculously outdated user name.

The gimme a lineman crowd has lost their collective minds.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why even consider moving Whit from LT? He's playing as well as any tackle in the league. No way we draft a center in R2 or R3 with Cook just signing an extension. I would be very upset if we use a top pick on a Tackle. Our needs are on the interior, not at the tackles. Andre is playing much better and Whit is one of the best LTs in the league.

I agree with everything said above by the poster with the ridiculously outdated user name.

Also, IMHO we need to find the next Scott Koistra-type durable/versatile quality backup in the lower rounds at least as much as we need to find an early-round stud guard. It seems like the team has struck out on a number of low round OL picks in recent drafts who haven't been able to stay healthy enough to be useful.

Picks 1 & 2 for me would be the O line.

Based on this year the D is looking pretty set - imagine if we had a powerhouse of an O line how much of a complete team we'd be. Run the ball (and run it well), pass and catch when need to, defend the ball well ........... oooohhh almost as tasty as the worlds best whisky or the worlds biggest cleavage!!

LOL. :frustrated: Is there a way to change my user name?

Yeah. Go to your settings and you'll see a tab for change display name. You only get to change your name like once a year tho, so be sure you get the spelling right!

Also, your original name will still be the one you need to put in if you log out of the site and then log back in. (though your new name will come up once you log in).

Yeah. Go to your settings and you'll see a tab for change display name. You only get to change your name like once a year tho, so be sure you get the spelling right!

Also, your original name will still be the one you need to put in if you log out of the site and then log back in. (though your new name will come up once you log in).

Thanks. I am now the poster formerly known as chad711johnson.

Thanks. I am now the poster formerly known as chad711johnson.

Good decision on the name change. :sure:

Also, IMHO we need to find the next Scott Koistra-type durable/versatile quality backup in the lower rounds at least as much as we need to find an early-round stud guard. It seems like the team has struck out on a number of low round OL picks in recent drafts who haven't been able to stay healthy enough to be useful.

We have Collins. I'd say he is our durable high-level back-up. We *used* to have Evan Mathis, who was quite decent and some would argue is better than Livings.

Depth at Oline is always needed, so I can't argue with the idea but we do have decent depth right now. Just not the highest level starters at LG, RG and RT.

Well we need a running game and a back that can make good moves and hit holes hard so with the best pick available we take James or Richardson and go CB,OG, WR with other then 2nd rd take BPA or OG depending if we didn't go that way on the first. If we have a running game to go with the passing game that makes us a good playoff bet. Benson gone need a better back than what we have

Well we need a running game and a back that can make good moves and hit holes hard so with the best pick available we take James or Richardson and go CB,OG, WR with other then 2nd rd take BPA or OG depending if we didn't go that way on the first. If we have a running game to go with the passing game that makes us a good playoff bet. Benson gone need a better back than what we have

If one of the top RB's aren't available there is no reason to reach. There are a couple of stop gap replacements that will be free agents next year. Mike Tolbert out in San Diego and La'Ron McClain who is being under used in KC.

My wishlist would be Guard or Center and a Safety. Not necessarily in that order. Then perhaps a running back in 2nd or 3rd round, depending on how Benson and Scott fair the rest of the year.

Well I think if the Bengals look at Safety that is going to depend on the development of Taylor Mays the rest of the year. They already have a couple of other guys they are high on in Miles and Sands. They think Sands can be the pivot guy that can play both safety positions that Marvin likes. He is big, but he is fast. A safety combo of Sands and Mays would be awefully scary for any receiver going across the middle.

Geesh, what is this obsession Bengal fans have with first round offensive linemen? That seems to be the desired pick by a majority every year and i'm starting to think people want 5 1st rounders on the line.

The game's won in the trenches. *shrug*. I'm firmly of the opinion that linemen on both sides of the ball make everybody else better. It ain't sexy, but it wins games.

Besides, Bobbie's old - and let's just say his performance might decline now that it's no longer 'enhanced'. Titsy has to get moved because he is not an NFL tackle. Hopefully the one problem solves the other and that makes an RT the only 'have to', but would filling the other guard spot with higher-level talent hurt any feelings?

On the defensive side - would an elite pass rusher at DE kill us?

Not to say those are the only directions for Round 1. Youth and talent at CB is still a big need at a high value position. But I'd like to see a CB, T, or DE over a S any day as the first pick.

If one of the top RB's aren't available there is no reason to reach. There are a couple of stop gap replacements that will be free agents next year. Mike Tolbert out in San Diego and La'Ron McClain who is being under used in KC.

Michael Bush.

If we saw a Mays and Sands combo at Safety I might kill myself. Coverage would be putrid. Two guys that are naturally Strong Safeties.

Love you too babe :-)

Heh

I don't see the line getting much push in the running game, and I do think despite the extension that we can indeed improve on Cook, and I know for sure we can improve on Livings and Grampa Bobbie

Count me in the minority that says Whit played better at LG than at LT. I can live with that.

Bottom line - Overall, I don't see the OL Unit as one of the strengths of this team, and I want it to be. Always. I know the dunce signign the checks doesn't agree with my philosophy, but that does't change what __I__ want to see the team do. So I am not saying "they will do x" I am saying "I want them to do x"

And you can disagree with that as well, and like SoaG covert the flashy WRs and RBs over the workhorse lineman. Doesn't bother me none :-)

Oh, topical aside - the DL, which has been horrid for a long time, *IS* now a strong unit, and it shows on game day.

GIMME A LINEMAN

Count me in the minority that says Whit played better at LG than at LT. I can live with that.

Who cares anymore? Whit has become a very good LT and he's under contract for years. Let it go.

The Bengals DO need help at OG but c'mon now...there are so-called experts now claiming Whit is now better than Joe Thomas or Jake Long.

I'm OK with kicking the tires at LT in the draft just because Whit turns 30 in December and we've all seen tackles go from elite to crap real quick. No sign that that will happen with Whit but if there is a guy who they think is the next Munoz, okey-doke. He and Whit can figure it out and the line will be better. But as far as I know that guy isn't in the draft next year.

Still, if Palmer sucks and we get a high pick you can't rule it out.

Me, I'm thinking more along the lines of a right-side mauler, be it T or G, to team with Smith.

Basically. The messageboard contingent that wants Andre Smith to be moved with to G will be upset as well. It's not happening. I know everyone thinks that they can evaluate where he will play the best at, but it's highly unlikely that they're going to move him. Especially since he's finally coming on at the Tackle position. I wouldn't mind taking a top rated/immediate impact guard in the first round, but I think we're just going to have to see where our picks fall.

it looks like .... the Raiders will finish with records that will keep them out of the top half of the draft, meaning the best Tackles will likely be gone.

err.....did you see the Raiders-KC game?

Yeah, but the Raiders already have 4 wins, so even if they play sub .500 ball the rest of the way and go like 4-5 the rest of the way, that gives them an 8-8 record and likey a pick around the late teens. However, if McFadden is healthy, i don't see any reason (Carson included) that the Raiders dont end up with a winning record.....Especially in that division.

Michael Bush.

I've thrown this out there before, so I'll do it again. I'd like to see them go after a guy like Jonathan Stewart in Free Agency. He's a bigger back 5'10" 235 lbs with speed and very good hands in the passing game (21 receptions so far this season). He also carries with him a 4.7 yards per carry Career Average. There's no way Carolina is going to pay him when the just gave DeAngelo a huge contract and their QB has a penchant for running himself. I think that would be a good 1-2 punch with Scott .......Besides, he's from Oregon (Go Ducks!)

Michael Bush.

I've thrown this out there before, so I'll do it again. I'd like to see them go after a guy like Jonathan Stewart in Free Agency. He's a bigger back 5'10" 235 lbs with speed and very good hands in the passing game (21 receptions so far this season). He also carries with him a 4.7 yards per carry Career Average. There's no way Carolina is going to pay him when the just gave DeAngelo a huge contract and their QB has a penchant for running himself. I think that would be a good 1-2 punch with Scott .......Besides, he's from Oregon (Go Ducks!)

I am absolutely on board with this! DeAngelo Williams is a great back but Jonathan Stewart has never gotten his shot to be the guy and I think he could be the next Michael Turner...in terms of leaving the Chargers for the Falcons comparison...nobody else has that freakish of a lower body. We'll have money that we have to spend on something, right?

Basically. The messageboard contingent that wants Andre Smith to be moved with to G will be upset as well. It's not happening. I know everyone thinks that they can evaluate where he will play the best at, but it's highly unlikely that they're going to move him. Especially since he's finally coming on at the Tackle position. I wouldn't mind taking a top rated/immediate impact guard in the first round, but I think we're just going to have to see where our picks fall.

Sorry but Andre Smith needs to be moved to guard a la Leonard Davis and Robert Gallery. It might give him a chance to revive his career. He is much better at blocking the guy in front of him instead of blocking a guy on the move.