What positions do we address?

walzav29

I agree about LaMichael James not being a 1st round pick. He's good but not an every down back and that's the only reason to take a RB in the 1st. If Trent Richardson is there when our first 1st round pick :bengal: then I take him without blinking. I've heard this Lamar Miller name being thrown about from Miami and I've watched him a couple of times and I just don't see it.

I love our LB's right now but a lot of it is up in the air for the future. I know Burfict is the kind of player that people either hate or love and I happen to be latter. I know he makes hotheaded dumn plays but he's also a heat-seeking missile that terrifies people and I think that's missing. Does anyone think there are any other LB's worth a 1st that I should put on my radar?

If there is a 1st round pick worthy guard then I don't hesitate but I also didn't dislike the idea of paying Ben Grubbs from Baltimore. Is Andre forreal? I've been encouraged but not completely sold. Perhaps if the BPA is a tackle then why not?

There are plenty of good recievers either college or free agency or even currently on the team (Simpson).

Corner is definitely on the wish list. Kirkpatrick and Claiborne are the only ones that would be worth a 1st but Kirkpatrick is in my Top 3 overall.

Thoughts?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaMichael James will not be a 1st round pick. I'd be willing to bet on that.

Brandon Merriweather is not a good safety. He got benched in Chicago and cut from the Pats for a reason. Zim could help him, but everything right now indicates that he hasn't been willing to buy in and play disciplined football consistently. If he can't do that in 'heaven' in New England then I don't even want to take a chance.

I think Devier will be available in the 3rd round and that would be a solid pick. I just like the fact that we have options and flexibility with these picks.

I'm not sure why you are so down on James. The guy looks like a Thomlinson clone. That's a guy I would love to have in this Bengal's backfield for 6-8 years.

O_O Are you familiar with LT before his decline in NY? I'm not sure you're serious right now. :lmao: I'm not down on him but he's not a 1st round pick. RBs at his size do not usually end up in the 1st round.

If Pac Man comes back and plays at a high level then I'm not pressed to go CB in the 1st round. With the way he played last year he showed that he can still be a starting corner, but we just don't know how he will look coming off of a neck injury.

LaMichael James will not be a 1st round pick. I'd be willing to bet on that.

Brandon Merriweather is not a good safety. He got benched in Chicago and cut from the Pats for a reason. Zim could help him, but everything right now indicates that he hasn't been willing to buy in and play disciplined football consistently. If he can't do that in 'heaven' in New England then I don't even want to take a chance.

I think Devier will be available in the 3rd round and that would be a solid pick. I just like the fact that we have options and flexibility with these picks.

I'm not sure why you are so down on James. The guy looks like a Thomlinson clone. That's a guy I would love to have in this Bengal's backfield for 6-8 years.

O_O Are you familiar with LT before his decline in NY? I'm not sure you're serious right now. :lmao: I'm not down on him but he's not a 1st round pick. RBs at his size do not usually end up in the 1st round.

If Pac Man comes back and plays at a high level then I'm not pressed to go CB in the 1st round. With the way he played last year he showed that he can still be a starting corner, but we just don't know how he will look coming off of a neck injury.

Yeah I am real familiar with it. LT is 5'10 and 215 pounds, James is 5'9" and 200 pounds. James still hasn't finished maturing and can probably put on a few pounds which would almost put him at the same stats as LT. James puts up big time stats in a power conference, the PAC 10.

I'm not proclaiming him to have the same career as LT, that's like picking the numbers in the lottery, what I am saying is, he looks and plays the same style as LT. I would be more than ecstatic to see him picked by the Bengals in the middle to late first round.

280 tackles, 2 sacks, 29 passes defensed, 12 INT's and 5 forced fumbles. He's a good Safety. A good STRONG Safety. He ISN'T a Free Safety which is where Chicago put him, he's a strong safety with coverage skills and better than anyone we've had playing SS here in years. His problems in New England are whatever, I could care less how Belicheat views him or that he wanted to make a statement with his locker room. The fact is he cut a good Safety that would be an upgrade on this team and I have faith in Zimmer's ability to get maximum effort out of players including Meriweather.

280 tackles, 2 sacks, 29 passes defensed, 12 INT's and 5 forced fumbles. He's a good Safety. A good STRONG Safety. He ISN'T a Free Safety which is where Chicago put him, he's a strong safety with coverage skills and better than anyone we've had playing SS here in years. His problems in New England are whatever, I could care less how Belicheat views him or that he wanted to make a statement with his locker room. The fact is he cut a good Safety that would be an upgrade on this team and I have faith in Zimmer's ability to get maximum effort out of players including Meriweather.

Merriwaether's problem is he plays to loose and out of control. He easily got in the doghouse in New England because he racked up 15 yard penalties and tons of fines. The NFL is all about controlled aggression. Making a good play to hold a team to third and 10, and then giving up a first down because you knock the helmet off a guy on a 5 yard crossing route will kill a defenses momentum. New England just got tired of seeing that same broken record story. It actually reminds me of Chris Crocker in his early years, so maybe Merriweather can be coached, maybe he can't.

Merriwaether's problem is he plays to loose and out of control. He easily got in the doghouse in New England because he racked up 15 yard penalties and tons of fines. The NFL is all about controlled aggression. Making a good play to hold a team to third and 10, and then giving up a first down because you knock the helmet off a guy on a 5 yard crossing route will kill a defenses momentum. New England just got tired of seeing that same broken record story. It actually reminds me of Chris Crocker in his early years, so maybe Merriweather can be coached, maybe he can't.

IMO it's worth a shot. If he doesn't change up a bit or pay attention cut him loose and draft a new SS in 2013.

So yeah i'd go 1a: Manti T'eo/Vontaze Burfict, 1b: WR/DE-DT/CB, 2nd: CB(Janoris Jenkins has skills and is falling, trade up if you have to, it's good value)/OG/RT(Yeah it'll take more than one season for me to trust Andre), 3a: RB/OG, 3b: Whichever one I didn't draft with the first 3rd. Use 4th-7th for depth and projects. Hell i'd even use the 4th to grab another Guard, grab two huge assed cornfed midwestern farmboys, you can't go wrong.

Somehow Burfict seems like the perfect Bengal. He'd be Odell Thurmond II. I don't like risking a 1st rd pick on this guy but my guess is MB won't be able to resist. I think there'll be other highly talented, less risky guys to choose at that point

Every thing now is pure speculation because you know as well as I do that a good/bad draft combine can mean the difference in at least 2 rounds in the actual draft. Posey could go out and run a 4.4 40 and sky rocket back into the first round, who knows. I just seem to like the combination of RB, OG, and WR, just not in a certain order. Cordy seems to be one of the top OGs in the draft but not good enough to crack the top half of the first round. I did say in another draft thread I wouldn't be opposed to the Bengals trading up and getting OT Kahlil. Smith's option for next year wasn't picked up so I believe he is a restricted free agent. So OT may be a need in the offseason.

Smith is signed through next year

/>http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5099/andre-smith

Now that we have 2 #1's what spots should we improve. I would like to see a safety picked and a LB. I still say that the D needs a vocal killer type defender. Of course there are other positions of need, but those 2 jump out. What do you think?

The only reason I'm discussing the draft instead of our Super Bowl drive is it's the bye-week.

Guard, safety, linebacker, starting running back.

Also does anything really think they will draft two guys in the first round next year? I think they might trade down and get multiple lower round picks for 2012 and in the future. Its been successful for NE, maybe we can try it and have multiple options in the future.

Somehow Burfict seems like the perfect Bengal. He'd be Odell Thurmond II. I don't like risking a 1st rd pick on this guy but my guess is MB won't be able to resist. I think there'll be other highly talented, less risky guys to choose at that point

Yeah I kinda waiver on Burfict somewhat. On one hand I love players like that, the guy plays with a chip on his shoulder and loves getting physical. He's like Roy Williams at linebacker. On the other hand Goodell won't stop until the NFL turns into flag football so a more cerebral type of LB like Luke Kuechly MAY be a better choice, or a hybrid like Manti 'Teo who can hit but also has the ability to change over to a more NFL approved style of play and rely on his mental game.

Yeah I kinda waiver on Burfict somewhat. On one hand I love players like that, the guy plays with a chip on his shoulder and loves getting physical. He's like Roy Williams at linebacker. On the other hand Goodell won't stop until the NFL turns into flag football so a more cerebral type of LB like Luke Kuechly MAY be a better choice, or a hybrid like Manti 'Teo who can hit but also has the ability to change over to a more NFL approved style of play and rely on his mental game.

Let me preface this by saying I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan and I watch every game. So with that said, Teo is one of the MOST over rated LBs in all of college football. His stats are inflated with pile on tackles, and all of the awards groups must look only at stats, college name, and player name, because if they watched actual game footage he wouldn't even be a nominee.

Pros: He will lay the occasional big hit on a guy. Usually it only happens when the other player doesn't see it coming, he very rarely delivers a pop on a player head to head. He plays with passion and is a good leader on the field.

Cons: Plays wildly and often runs past the play or misses tackles because he doesn't break down at the point of attack. Too many times he 'catches' takles and allows the runner to get that extra yard or two. Teo is horrible in pass coverage. He trails the receiver too far in man 2 man, and in zone coverage often bites on the play fake or pump fake. He then gets out of position giving too much space in the zone for a receiver to sit into. A good example of this happened this week against USC.

Teo was highly recruited and I was stoked when he decided to come to Notre Dame, but I don't think he has really lived up to those expectations. He can disappear too often and games and that isn't something your MLB should do. Maybe he has just had poor coaching at Notre Dame and some of his problems can be fixed. If I was a team I would drafted him in the first round.

Also does anything really think they will draft two guys in the first round next year? I think they might trade down and get multiple lower round picks for 2012 and in the future. Its been successful for NE, maybe we can try it and have multiple options in the future.

To answer your question, yes. It's not Mike's style to wheel and deal like NE. I don't see that happenin'.

Gimme

OT (if LT, move Whit back to LG, if RT move Flesh Zeppelin to RG - but LT preferred)

Gimme A Lineman.....Too

I'd think that with 2 1st Rd picks, 1 of them HAS TO BE O-Line, and preferrably Tackle. I'd consider moving Dre to G, but he has played pretty well at RT this year, so we'll see what happens by the end of the season. The ONLY way I'd move Whit back to G is if they land a STUD LT. The problem is, it looks like both the Bengals and the Raiders will finish with records that will keep them out of the top half of the draft, meaning the best Tackles will likely be gone.

Tackle. Get El Fatador off the edge, his feet are too damn slow. Even when they're not broken. Draft for the line early and often.

CB would be nice any round too, RB or S after round 1. Preferably no Round 1 WR either - they hit lotto with A Green, but the bust rate for WR is too high for top half of round 1 in my opinion. If they keep winning like they have, all bets are off.

Aside from that, get value in round 1, I'm OK with need after that.

First 5 picks in 2012

Gimme

OT (if LT, move Whit back to LG, if RT move Flesh Zeppelin to RG - but LT preferred)

Man to Man CB

C

Two-way S

Power RB

I think we have our RG on the roster already in the kid from Georgia

Why even consider moving Whit from LT? He's playing as well as any tackle in the league. No way we draft a center in R2 or R3 with Cook just signing an extension. I would be very upset if we use a top pick on a Tackle. Our needs are on the interior, not at the tackles. Andre is playing much better and Whit is one of the best LTs in the league.

To answer your question, yes. It's not Mike's style to wheel and deal like NE. I don't see that happenin'.

Not to mention... with the new CBA, first round picks are not the make-or-break propositions financially they used to be. I wouldn't be surprised if teams like NE adjust their draft strategies accordingly in the future.