Will Carson & TJ Be Successful in Oakland?

Sea Ray

maybe Carson should sit his first year out and learn from savvy vet Boller?

his feet looked really, really slow in the part that I saw, but I still think that Oakland's a good offense for Carson. He can play the Daryl Lamonica/Jim Plunkett deep arm role, which spreads the defense for Oakland's run game. Just don't depend on him on third and short.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt see much of the game, but it sounded like he played better than Boller did. They also lost a big part of the offense when D-Mac went down. I dont think you could have expected anything different from a guy that the head coach knew wasnt ready, but was thrown in anyway because of the suckatude of one Kyle Boller.

I know many will paint that as being the case, in re Palmer playing better than Boller, but, first, that's like saying the Pinto is a better car than a Yugo, and second, the numbers don't bear that out.

Palmer's day--3 picks, one to the house, 17-something QB rating

Boller's day--3 picks, one to the house, 20-something QB rating

bottom line--both played like crap. Even the 'winning' QB, Cassel, threw two picks and ended up with a QB rating of 38.

More than one crazy Raider apologist has been quick to point out that he's only had the playbook four days, hasn't thrown a pass in almost a year... yada yada yada.

First, not my fault. Shouldn't have quit on your team there Carson ole' buddy.

Second, I agree with those that have stated he looked in midseason form for him.

Third, I officially offer my opinion that SoP made one of the greatest, if not greatest, deals in team history. Palmer can look like Brady the rest of the year, but this game was sooooo satisfying I really would like to have a second helping of it.

I agree with most of what your offering here, but still think that he will have some success in Oakland. He will still make those dumb throws and kill the team, but he will put up solid yardage #'s. He just isnt the elite QB he was in 2005 anymore.

I don't disagree here. I do also think he'll put up second-tier qb numbers. He'll never be elite. He'll certainly prove to be much better than Boller, perhaps even better than Campbell. I think in the long run, Palmer will not bring them a trophy, might bring them a wild card playoff win or two, but won't get to an AFC championship game. Ultimately the Raiders will discover they've paid way too much for him, both in terms of money and the cost of picks. As success in the NFL is gauged in trophies, I still think the trade will be much better remembered for the Bengals than the Raiders.

Let me say I loved the trade.

But I disagree with what some of you guys are saying about Carson.

Has Carson's numbers slowly declined over the last few years? Yes.

Did Carson quit on his team? Yes.

Does Carson have a bum knee and a throwing elbow that can blow out at anytime? Yes.

Does Carson make poor decisions and force throws that turn into INTs and pick-6's? Yes.

With that said let's look at Carson's last year with the Bengals though.

Did TO on several occasions give up on plays or grow alligator arms that led to INTs? Yes.

With Chad's difficulties learning formations and pass patterns in New England, can we now surmise that when Carson threw an INT on a pass intended for Chad and they had a heated discussion about it, that it was more than likely Chad's fault? Yes!

With all that said, I don't believe you can totally blame Carson's poor play last year on him, but that doesn't mean he should have quit on the other 50 guys on the team because of those two jokers.

Does Carson have a bum knee and a throwing elbow that can blow out at anytime? Yes.

Does Carson make poor decisions and force throws that turn into INTs and pick-6's? Yes.

I'm sorry...what were you saying??

I'm sorry...what were you saying??

That even though Carson has a lot of the blame, you can't place ALL of the blame on his poor play. Numbers can be deceiving. For example if a play called for Carson to throw to a spot on an out pattern to Chad, and Chad turns inside instead of the way he was supposed to, and the ball gets picked and returned for a TD, in the stat column there isn't an asterix that says, "Chad ran the wrong route."

Don't give a s**t. Tired of you protecting stupidity. This board's quality suffers because you do so. And you are killing the board with it.

he is not ruining this site at all, remember several months ago i leave this forum because it was losing control and i cant stand it anymore, so i am glad that i am seeing this happen now. several years ago, this forum was very friendly and no personal attacks, just reasonable feedbacks.

I was greatly amused reading this article. IMO he hasn't learned squat. He's the same guy he was here last season which was a pick six throwing machine.

Palmer calls Raiders debut learning experience

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)—As bad as Carson Palmer’s three-interception debut with the Oakland Raiders looked, he views it as a valuable teaching tool. Palmer took the field Tuesday for his first practice since that debacle to start what promises to be a learning-intensive bye week. Palmer had just three practices with the Raiders before making his debut in Sunday’s 28-0 loss to Kansas City. So the task this week will be to learn the offense, build a rapport on and off the field with his receivers and get back into football shape after more than nine months away from the

“This bye week may be the most valuable to me of anybody in the league, other than a guy who is really hurt or nursing a serious injury,” Palmer said. Carson Palmer has not been an elite quarterback since partially tearing a ligament and tendon in his passing elbow during the 2008 season.

That’s because Palmer arrived in Oakland just a week ago after spending training camp and the first six weeks of the season in retirement at home in Southern California. That ended when Jason Campbell broke his collarbone and the Raiders traded a 2012 first-round pick and a conditional second-rounder in 2013 to Cincinnati for Palmer.

The rest of the laughs are here.

Carson was on local talk radio in the Bay area the other day. He had some interesting comments.

[b]http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/10/27/raiders-bengals-trade-carson-palmer-nfl-week-8/

Carson: "No way I could have put in an ounce more of energy, or tried to be a better leader, watched more film or studied harder..."

"I put everything I could into my time there...it wasn't the end result I wanted...I don't look back with regret...I look forward"

Says it was never about getting back to West Coast.."it was about getting to a team trying to win right away and doing what it takes to win"

If he could explain to Raiders fans why he decided to walk out and quit on the Bengals:

“Well it’s been a long eight years. I’ve been through a lot, seen a lot within that organization, and just decided. I definitely realized it was a selfish decision that I was making. I talked about it a lot with my family and decided that I’d like to continue to play but it was time to move on. And it was time for them to move on. I’m just excited and happy and blessed to be in the situation I’m in now playing for Coach Jackson and with this organization. I’m excited where this one is headed, and it’s also good where the Bengals organization is headed — they’re headed in a great direction, they’ve got a good young nucleus of players, they’re playing really well, and I think it worked out well for both organizations.”

If he could explain to Raiders fans why he decided to walk out and quit on the Bengals:

“Well it’s been a long eight years. I’ve been through a lot, seen a lot within that organization, and just decided. I definitely realized it was a selfish decision that I was making. I talked about it a lot with my family and decided that I’d like to continue to play but it was time to move on. And it was time for them to move on. I’m just excited and happy and blessed to be in the situation I’m in now playing for Coach Jackson and with this organization. I’m excited where this one is headed, and it’s also good where the Bengals organization is headed — they’re headed in a great direction, they’ve got a good young nucleus of players, they’re playing really well, and I think it worked out well for both organizations.”

Let me translate: "Well the NFL isn't as easy as college. I thought I could come in and be competing for the Super Bowl every year. I guess I didn't realize the team that drafts a guy first had the worst record the year before, and probably needs more than just my help to get to the big game. I grew impatient and selfish and didn't care about the other 50 guys on the team. I decided I wanted to try and move to a team I thought was more convenient for ME. I didn't want to be part of the solution, I wanted to ride on the coat tails of others that were already turning around an organization. The best option for me became available when I could go to the Raiders and Coach Hue Jackson. Coach Jackson will listen to ME and let ME get my way on things because we have a history. With the Raiders I can try to make it all about ME and not the team, plus I now live an hour away from my wife and can be home to bang that hot body almost every night. Win-win right? As for the Bengals, they are really making ME look like an ass. They drafted some great young players that I could have done a lot to help, but instead they are doing it all on their own and doing a damn fine job. Hopefully I can do something in Oakland, because it looks like the Bengals are headed in the right direction, and I will look like a complete douche and probably get raped by some big, face painted men in the parking lot of Oakland if I don't"