Farewell, Houston

HoosierCat

Looks like the Astros will make the long-rumored move to the AL West.

Honestly I think if they are going to do some realigning they should redo the whole thing. Make more interstate rivalries in the same division. Put the Yankees and Mets in the division together. Put the Reds and Indians together, and so on.

Could you imagine a division with the Reds, Indians, Cubs, and Brewers? It sure would make it easier for visiting teams fans to travel and fill up ball parks. It might be great for overall MLB attendance.

Looks like the Astros will make the long-rumored move to the AL West.

Honestly I think if they are going to do some realigning they should redo the whole thing. Make more interstate rivalries in the same division. Put the Yankees and Mets in the division together. Put the Reds and Indians together, and so on.

Could you imagine a division with the Reds, Indians, Cubs, and Brewers? It sure would make it easier for visiting teams fans to travel and fill up ball parks. It might be great for overall MLB attendance.

I agree completely. But they'll never do it.

I gave the idea a little more thought and here are the divisions I came up with:

AL West

Seattle

LA Angels

LA Dodgers

San Fransico Giants

Oakland A's

AL Central

Milwaukee Brewers

Kansas City Royals

St. Louis Cardinals

Minnesota Twins

Detroit Tigers

AL East

Toronto Blue Jays

NY Mets

NY Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Philadelphia Philles

NL West

Colorado Rockies

Arizona Diamondbacks

Houston Astros

Texas Rangers

San Diego Padres

NL Central

Chicago White Sox

Chicago Cubs

Cleveland Indians

Cincinnati Reds

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL East

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Nationals

Atlanta Braves

Tampa Bay Rays

Florida Marlins

Pretty much all of them make geographical sense except having San Diego in a different division than the other California teams, but because of the location of Seattle in comparison to the other teams in only makes sense to put them there. San Diego is still in a Western Division but the farthest they have to travel is Texas for a divisional game.

What I find more interesting are the possible repercussions of this due to their being an even # of AL and NL teams. Specifically:

1) Interleague games played throughout the season.

2) Both leagues taking up the DH or neither league using it.

Well even with the fact that before there were more NL teams than AL teams, the AL generally won more games. That has been pretty much a trend since inter-league started. It was also a trend at All-star games, where it was AL dominated up until the last couple of years.

As for the DH, I think they did a poll recently and found that more teams thought it was unnecessary than those who thought it should stay. Myself, I'm a baseball purest and think that making the pitcher hit, and the subsequent managerial moves that have to be made involving pinch hitters, double switches, etc. is what brings some excitement to the game.