Football Gameplan's Week 6 Preview Video - Bengals v Colts

EmDiggy

I really like your videos, EmDiggy. I've no major beef with anything you assert about this week's game, though I do wonder whether the Bengals will still attempt to run outside considering the recent rise in activity for Bernard Scott. He hasn't done terribly much of that, granted, but it's within his skillset. Benson will still get the brute of the carries.

I really like your videos, EmDiggy. I've no major beef with anything you assert about this week's game, though I do wonder whether the Bengals will still attempt to run outside considering the recent rise in activity for Bernard Scott. He hasn't done terribly much of that, granted, but it's within his skillset. Benson will still get the brute of the carries.

I'd like to see more of those pitch out plays where the tackle pulls outside of the TE, and the TE cross blocks down on the end. I think Scott could break a long one on one of those plays.

Thanks Gang!! I appreciate the feedback!! Like HoosierCat said, the Colts do provide some good matchups against the Bengals defense. The one factor I looked at this week was the "Painter" factor.. he's streaky and its that streakiness that will end up costing them the game. Plus, I think the matchup is even as far as Colts WRs vs Bengals CBs is concerned.. the question would be how much of a liability the safeties will be.

Offensively speaking, to take advantage of the Colts defensive flow, there's a run play that you see more common in Jax and LSU where it looks like a toss but its actually a dive. The QB & RB go through the whole pitch motion except the back cuts it up inside instead of continuing to bounce outside. That is a well designed play that gets those LBs in position to be blocked at better angles

Didn't Diggy suggest even MORE interior rush attempts? Last time I checked that's about all the Bengals try to do. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Bengals rush attempts behind both tackle positions is way below the NFL average, and the disparity is greatest when running behind the ORT....an outcome that may begin to change now that Bobby Williams has returned to stabilize the right side. And I agree that could be very important because the key to propping up Andre Smith in the passing game might be featuring him more in the running game. Because not only would you allow Smith to play with more confidence, but also....more aggression. Let him tee off for once and slow the pass rush down at the same time.

And FWIW the Dallas Clark matchup still scares me but not nearly as much as it once did, in part because Painter isn't as well equiped to take advantage of the matchup as Manning might have, but also due to the improved pass coverage skills of all three Bengal LB's....especially Thomas Howard.

Thanks Gang!! I appreciate the feedback!! Like HoosierCat said, the Colts do provide some good matchups against the Bengals defense. The one factor I looked at this week was the "Painter" factor.. he's streaky and its that streakiness that will end up costing them the game.

As a Bengal fan I'd love to see Cincy get points on a couple of early drives so that their defensive line can play more agressively. IMHO the Colt's do look much improved from Week 1 but I still have my doubts about that teams ability to produce late game comebacks and heroics.

Didn't Diggy suggest even MORE interior rush attempts? Last time I checked that's about all the Bengals try to do. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Bengals rush attempts behind both tackle positions is way below the NFL average, and the disparity is greatest when running behind the ORT....an outcome that may begin to change now that Bobby Williams has returned to stabilize the right side. And I agree that could be very important because the key to propping up Andre Smith in the passing game might be featuring him more in the running game. Because not only would you allow Smith to play with more confidence, but also....more aggression. Let him tee off for once and slow the pass rush down at the same time.

And FWIW the Dallas Clark matchup still scares me but not nearly as much as it once did, in part because Painter isn't as well equiped to take advantage of the matchup as Manning might have, but also due to the improved pass coverage skills of all three Bengal LB's....especially Thomas Howard.

I think where he is becoming confused is the Cedric seems to bounce his runs to the outside a lot and not wait for the holes to open up. I've never been a fan of the zone blocking scheme, I think using combo blocks, cross blocks, and pulling lineman have always been better in the run game. It just seems that since Denver came up with the whole zone blocking scheme it has spread across the NFL. Now the problem with that is, Denver had a lot of lightweight mobile guys that could make up for the defensive guy running free through the line. Personally with the big set of guy the Bengals have I would prefer to see more old school blocking that takes advantage of thier size.