The Young QB Class

Spor_tees

One thing about Andy that i love is he never seems to be rattled. How many times did we see stupid holding penalties, and because of Andy they got out of it by getting a first down. 3rd and 18 who cares, Andy will throw it to AJ for 19 yards, its like nothing matters he will just keep throwing down the field.

With the Steelers coming in this week, ill be watching to see if he is rattled at all, but so far this season i have not seen it once. Its like he is so mature beyond his years, and sure am glad he is here.

Its like he is so mature beyond his years, and sure am glad he is here.

Give some credit to coaching, specifically Jay Gruden.

In all the years that I have watched the Bengals, one of the most annoying traits the team has had is deciding on a system, and then trying to cram players, particularly QBs, into it. Gruden looked at what Dalton did well and said, "yeah, lets do that."

Cincy has done a great job of playing to their players' strengths this year, and that may be the biggest change of all.

One thing about Andy that i love is he never seems to be rattled. How many times did we see stupid holding penalties, and because of Andy they got out of it by getting a first down. 3rd and 18 who cares, Andy will throw it to AJ for 19 yards, its like nothing matters he will just keep throwing down the field.

With the Steelers coming in this week, ill be watching to see if he is rattled at all, but so far this season i have not seen it once. Its like he is so mature beyond his years, and sure am glad he is here.

We've seen Dalton get sacked and hit a couple of times, but he has yet to get one of those big blow up hits. I almost want to see it happen, just to see how he reacts. I don't think he is the kind of guy that would just pack it in for the day, but sometimes you want to see it with your own eyes to know for sure. He has had great pocket awareness to this point for a big hit to not occur, and let's hope it isn't just a lucky start.

In all the years that I have watched the Bengals, one of the most annoying traits the team has had is deciding on a system, and then trying to cram players, particularly QBs, into it. Gruden looked at what Dalton did well and said, "yeah, lets do that."

Cincy has done a great job of playing to their players' strengths this year, and that may be the biggest change of all.

Heh I think you got that backwards. Gruden came in saying, "This will be a West Coast Offense." Then he decided to go out and find the quarterback that would fit his system the best, something as you said, the Bengals rarely did. Do you think David Klinger's career would have been different if he was in Dalton's shoes now? Dalton gave them everything they needed and it has worked out great so far.

Oh, I do......Brat would have ruined this kid.

Gruden came in new, so he wasn't "set in stone" and I'm sure altered some of his playbook to accomodate Dalton....Brat would have stuck to the same old crap....I guess I have to throw an assist to Ken Zampese too....

Is "unrattable" a word? If so pin it on the dude.

Is "unrattable" a word? If so pin it on the dude.

Well there you go, maybe Dalton needs to steal Kenny Stabler's nickname "The Snake." You know, because he is unrattleable.

Heh I think you got that backwards. Gruden came in saying, "This will be a West Coast Offense." Then he decided to go out and find the quarterback that would fit his system the best, something as you said, the Bengals rarely did. Do you think David Klinger's career would have been different if he was in Dalton's shoes now? Dalton gave them everything they needed and it has worked out great so far.

It has worked out great, but if you look at what Gruden has said in the last few weeks, he didn't worry about what he wanted to do. That could be installed in time. Instead, he focused on what Dalton could do, and specifically on the TCU offense. Remember how there were all those question earlier this season around here about, "where's the WCO?" This wasn't about installing what he wanted -- yet -- it was about working with what he had. Gruden has done a damn good job. Once he and Andy mesh up, it will be even scarier.

It has worked out great, but if you look at what Gruden has said in the last few weeks, he didn't worry about what he wanted to do. That could be installed in time. Instead, he focused on what Dalton could do, and specifically on the TCU offense. Remember how there were all those question earlier this season around here about, "where's the WCO?" This wasn't about installing what he wanted -- yet -- it was about working with what he had. Gruden has done a damn good job. Once he and Andy mesh up, it will be even scarier.

You bring up a point. Earlier in the season they ran a lot of vanilla plays that looked nothing like the West Coast Offense and I was quite annoyed by that. Everyone kept saying "Don't worry it will evolve you'll see. They are just keeping things simple because he hasn't had time to grasp it all."

The funny thing is, in the first 3 games using this vanilla offense, they were a losing 1-2 team, since then and the installment of plays that has brought about a true West Coast Offense, they are 5-0. So my question is, "What would it have hurt to install the West Coast Offense from day one?" I mean they lost both games of the season while running the other plays, what would it have hurt? I mean yes I was the one that from week to week at the beginning of the season was yelling for certain plays to be installed, and they gradually were. Now in game 8 of the season we are finally seeing a full gamete of West Coast plays. I love it! I especially love the passes to the FB and screen to the TE.

So yes you might have been right about the type of plays they used at the beginning of the season that was used to ease Dalton into the league, but he was drafted over guys like Mallet for the specific purpose of running Gruden's style of offense. I just wish we would have seen these plays sooner. But I am still loving 6-2.

I'm sort of amused by the level of respect provided Dilfer the Player. I mean, there's no nice way to say this - but the guy totally sucked. Early in his career, late in his career, probably even when he played catch with his kids. Dude lucked into the best defense of the decade in the 2000 Ravens and cashed in. His head coach was so impressed he dumped him after a Super Bowl win.

As for the 'game manager' label for Dilfer - he had 12 TDs, 11 picks the year they won. Worse, his pick rate that year was 5%, which is pretty high. The only reason he didn't have more picks is because he didn't throw much - which makes sense, given that they had an incredible defense and Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes running the ball. So basically, you could say that Trent Dilfer handed the ball off as well as anyone. The best thing you can say about him is that 1) he was 6-2 as a starter that year (but he should have been, on that team!), and that he was better than Tony Banks (damned faint praise).

As for Dilfer the Analyst - let's just say he's an idiot, but he got this one right.

But bottom line - let's not try to compliment Dalton by comparing him to Dilfer. He ought to set his sights higher.

The funny thing is, in the first 3 games using this vanilla offense, they were a losing 1-2 team, since then and the installment of plays that has brought about a true West Coast Offense, they are 5-0. So my question is, "What would it have hurt to install the West Coast Offense from day one?"

Because it wasn't possible. Gruden had six weeks tops to work with his team. He took what he had and went, and while they may have been 1-2 in their first games they lost those two games by the slimmest of margins. In the most impossible f situations, it almost worked. Once they had time, it did.

Believe. We have something here. Gruden and Andy could be something special. In my mind, they already are.

I'll tell you what...SoP better break open the checkbook and lock Zimmer and Gruden in for the long haul. This team, while still not yet even reached its potential on either defense or offense, is the most complete Bengals unit since the 1988 (head bowed for reverence) AFC champ team.

As for Red Rover and Green Hornet, this tandem should end up in the same company as Anderson/Curtis and Esiason/Collinsworth.

And just for ArmyBengal...F@ck Palmer and Ochodoucho!!!

I'll tell you what...SoP better break open the checkbook and lock Zimmer and Gruden in for the long haul. This team, while still not yet even reached its potential on either defense or offense, is the most complete Bengals unit since the 1988 (head bowed for reverence) AFC champ team.

As for Red Rover and Green Hornet, this tandem should end up in the same company as Anderson/Curtis and Esiason/Collinsworth.

And just for ArmyBengal...F@ck Palmer and Ochodoucho!!!

That does worry me alittle bit these guys getting better job offers, but i would hope they would stay here to finish what they started. I hope MB does open his wallet, and give these guys what they deserve, and Marvin as well. Keep these guys toghter and with the picks for the next couple years draft, they could be something special.