If we can see it...

Spor_tees

Each game we watch and comment online about the good plays, the bad plays, the good players, and the bad players. For some reasons, the same names keep coming up, but yet the coaches don't do anything about it.

Tate is a VERY inconsistent kick returner. One play he will let a punt hit the ground and it will bounce another 20 yards, then the next he'll make a 15 yard return. One play he will catch a kickoff in the endzone and return it to the 15, the next he returns a kick to the 40. His habit of catching punts inside the 10 yard line is very discouraging too. I don't know I would like to see Hawkins back there giving a try to see if there are different results.

Nate Livings...well only one thing to say about the guy, he sucks balls. The guy gets pushed into the backfield on run plays, pass plays, and I bet the defense pushes him past the Gatorade cooler on the bench. The guy is aweful, I mean he got pancaked onto the quarterback for a sack! How humiliating!

Andre Smith is officially a bust. I think the Bengals are admitting to that when they didn't pick up his club option year. He is bad in pass blocking and he can't run block unless he is engaging the man in front of him. Every play I see that he is pulling outside to block a safety or outside linebacker, he misses the block or doesn't move them out of the hole. His position needs to be filled early in the draft.

Cedric Benson was definitely not at his best today. On several occasions he moved laterally too much which allowed backside coverage to make plays. One thing that also struck me today was Benson not following his blocks. Pressly would hit right off the tackle and there would be a hole there, but instead Benson would bump outside behind Gresham's block and end up getting tackled. There were also several times Dalton would put the TE in motion, then Benson would run to the opposite side. I'm not sure if this was designed or not, but it didn't work. I know part of Benson's problems today came from poor run blocking, but he also needs to take some blame for making poor choices.

I am really glad they won today, because even though the Jags are a poor team, it still means something to win on the road in the NFL.

They really need to practice there running game it was awful. If they want to keep winning they need to run the ball and run it consitantly.

Am I the only one who can see this or what? The Bengals offensive line simply cannot support a steady running game! They are not that good.

They really need to practice there running game it was awful. If they want to keep winning they need to run the ball and run it consitantly.

Some things you can't practice. Benson having the vision to hit the holes and follow his blockers is something he either has, or doesn't have. For some reason today he kept running into the backs of the linemen, forcing the runs outside, and not following his blockers into the hole. I am not sure whether this was just a lapse on his part, or he was pressing too much and trying to make the homerun play each time instead of settling for 10-20 yard runs. We did see Scott a few more times, and it seems they are slowly working him into the offense. Two carries one week, four the next, six the next, and so on. I thought Scott had good hands, but yet I think today is the first pass I have seen to him.

The other big problems, as I already mentioned in the first post, is the poor line play. I wonder at what point it takes before the coaching staff starts to make changes. Right now they are winning despite their line, and IMO they need to fix it before they start losing, not after. Maybe Start subbing lineman and see what makes the best unit? Who knows.

Am I the only one who can see this or what? The Bengals offensive line simply cannot support a steady running game! They are not that good.

Well you have to take into account you got a weak link on both sides of the line. Andre Smith can not block very well on the right side, and Livings is about as useful as a traffic cone on the left side. So it is what it is until something gets changed. If I ever see Nate Livings out somewhere parking his car, I'm going to drain the main vein on his tire.

That guy on NFL network said we should be thanking the bengals o-line for being good, and helping the rookie QB LOL LOL.

This is pretty much the same o-line as 09 which pounded the ball almost every game. They do need to figure something out different formations, how about the extra tackle or something. Something though needs to be done, because they need to run the ball to keep winning esp, againt really good teams.

Benson vision is horrible, they actully did open up some holes today and Benson missed them or decided not to use them. Lap said the same thing why is he not running in the hole the o-line is giving him.

Benson vision is horrible, they actully did open up some holes today and Benson missed them or decided not to use them. Lap said the same thing why is he not running in the hole the o-line is giving him.

I'm not buying that.

I'm not buying that.

You dont have too, but im telling you i know of one play where Gresham took his guy out of the play, but instead of running inside through the hole that he provided, he took it outside. Lap was killing Benson for not taking that hole. Im not saying the o-line made holes all game, but when they did Benson missed them. It would have been huge if he did hit the hole hard, because i think they could have gotten some kind of ground game going.

Each game we watch and comment online about the good plays, the bad plays, the good players, and the bad players. For some reasons, the same names keep coming up, but yet the coaches don't do anything about it.

Because maybe...just maybe...

...and you might want to sit down for this one...

...the coaches know more than we do?

I know, it's a crazy and shocking thought to consider, but give it a try sometime.

I know, it's a crazy and shocking thought to consider, but give it a try sometime.

:lol:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, and I'll tell you why. Let's use Nate Livings as an example. Fans, press, and goodness knows who else have criticized Paul Alexander for using Nate Livings at LG despite how poor his play is. It got to the point where Alexander had to come out in the media and say Livings play was 'not as bad as people think.' To me, that is the answer of a man that is just refusing to admit he is wrong in grading Living talent. When you take the rest of the quote you can clearly see that Alexander is scared to make a true decision. He talks about how fans said Mike Goff was a bad player in Cincinnati and the fans basically forced him out of town where he became a Probowl player. So now it was the fans fault Goff left? So Alexander made a decision on Goff who ended playing well in San Diego, so now he is afraid to give up on Livings. That's a chicken s**t move on his part.

Livings sucks, everyone and anyone can see it. Go back and look at the sack on Dalton where Dalton has to get Livings off of him before he can get up. ;)

Here's something that might come as a shock to you as well, the coaches when they talk to the media, might not always tell the truth. So when something goes wrong, you might not have a clue as to why it went wrong. In fact if Hawkins hadn't tweeted as much, you wouldn't have known it was Reggie Nelson's fault for the blown coverage. Funny thing, I said it was Nelson long before the tweet was posted. So, yeah I guess I don't know anything.

Fans, press, and goodness knows who else have criticized Paul Alexander for using Nate Livings at LG despite how poor his play is. It got to the point where Alexander had to come out in the media and say Livings play was 'not as bad as people think.' To me, that is the answer of a man that is just refusing to admit he is wrong in grading Living talent.

That was after the Lions game when everyone was killing Livings.

Joe Goodberry also thought Livings was terrible... but decided to go back and watch Livings on every play, and then he wrote this Report Card... with his final thought being:

I thought Nate Livings played much better when I focused on his game alone. When I originally watched the game, I too thought he was to blame for the offensive line failures. He graded positively in this game.

So yeah... I'm going to stick with the thought that the coaches know more than us. More specifically, they know what plays were called and what assignments were missed, and are able to grade players out much more accurately than some fan sitting on his couch who thinks he knows what happened... but probably doesn't.

Here's something that might come as a shock to you as well, the coaches when they talk to the media, might not always tell the truth. So when something goes wrong, you might not have a clue as to why it went wrong. In fact if Hawkins hadn't tweeted as much, you wouldn't have known it was Reggie Nelson's fault for the blown coverage. Funny thing, I said it was Nelson long before the tweet was posted. So, yeah I guess I don't know anything.

I wouldn't have known that it was Nelson's fault? I guess I'll have to bring my wife in here to explain why I was cursing Nelson's name to the heavens after that play. Congrats on spotting the obvious, Sherlock.

As for the coaches lying to the media, why would that be a shock to me? I would fire a coach on the spot if they ever decided to be entirely honest during a press conference. Some things need to stay in house, which is pretty much my point in the first place.

If you're right that Livings sucks, then I guarantee you the coaches know it as well. As for why they "don't do anything about it", I would guess that they have their reasons. Yes, reasons that even your keen intellect and insightful knowledge into all things Bengals might sometimes fail to comprehend.

Joe also wrote this article grading out the O-Line through 4 games... and wrote the following about Livings:

There’s nothing wrong with Nate Livings when the Bengals are a running team. Nate is a much better run blocker than he is a pass protector. Most of us liked him during the 2009 season when the Bengals were a run-first offense. Then in 2010, the offense morphed into a pass-first offense. In result, we as fans wanted Nate Livings’ head on a stick. This season, Livings has been nothing but solid. Even against great competition in Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus last week, Livings still posted 12 Positive/Winning blocks and only 2 Negative/Losing blocks in the run game. As a pass protector, Livings was the opposite. He was dominated for the most part. Livings had 3 Winning blocks and 4 losing blocks. For the season, Livings is still at +4.0 as a pass blocker and +8.5 as a run blocker. He’s definitely winning more than he’s losing and hasn’t been the weak link.

So yeah... you're wrong about Nate Livings. So thanks for proving Skyline's point. :lol:

If we're right that Livings sucks, then I guarantee you the coaches know it as well. As for why they "don't do anything about it", I would guess that they have their reasons. Yes, reasons that even your keen intellect and insightful knowledge into all things Bengals might sometimes fail to comprehend.

As Joe Goodberry proved in the article I posted above... while Livings may not be a Pro-Bowler, he's also not a weak link on this O-Line, and has certainly played better than Boling or McGlynn... the guys that people want to see start.

In other words, the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team... or in this case, the back-up LG. But they are back-ups for a reason.

Re Joe and Livings, FWIW on our post-game radio show tonight Joe said his initial impression was that Livings was horrible today and IIRC gave him his Goat of the Game award. That could change once he has a chance to review things, but the early read is that Nate had a bad game.

I don't need to grade every play to see Livings getting blown up at the line of scrimmage. How embarrassed is he going to be in film sessions watching the sack play. One thing I don't understand on this board is how discussions quickly turn into slamfests and name calling.

You have no clue who I am, my background, or anything about me other than what I say on here. Likewise I have no clue about you, or anyone else on this board, but for some reason people make assumptions so quickly that the actual discussion gets lost.

I decide to make a thread to point out some points of the Bengals that appear to me to be more than obvious, yet the coaches haven't fixed them yet this season. I give examples of plays from game to game proving the point I am trying to make. Instead of a counter argument, I get a basic rebuttal in summation of 'You don't know what you are talking about, shut up, sit down.'

Come on man....

I don't need to grade every play to see Livings getting blown up at the line of scrimmage. How embarrassed is he going to be in film sessions watching the sack play.

Well, you are grading his entire game based on one play. Doesn't that strike you as a little unbalanced? I give you evidence from someone who was willing to do the legwork... and your response is "But did you see that one play? That sucked!"

Child, Please.

After every win you start one of these threads where you decide you want to have a bitch session about things you seem relatively uneducated about... and it's more than a little old.

You have no clue who I am, my background, or anything about me other than what I say on here. Likewise I have no clue about you, or anyone else on this board, but for some reason people make assumptions so quickly that the actual discussion gets lost.

I decide to make a thread to point out some points of the Bengals that appear to me to be more than obvious, yet the coaches haven't fixed them yet this season. I give examples of plays from game to game proving the point I am trying to make. Instead of a counter argument, I get a basic rebuttal in summation of 'You don't know what you are talking about, shut up, sit down.'

Come on man....

I apologize. I didn't realize that someone with the name "BallBreaker" would be so sensitive.

To be frank, I found the majority of your post boring and generally lacking in insight. I replied to the one sentence that actually piqued my interest.

The next time I'll do what I usually do when I see your posts: yawn and move on.

I don't need to grade every play to see Livings getting blown up at the line of scrimmage. How embarrassed is he going to be in film sessions watching the sack play.

Well, you are grading his entire game based on one play. Doesn't that strike you as a little unbalanced? I give you evidence from someone who was willing to do the legwork... and your response is "But did you see that one play? That sucked!"

Child, Please.

After every win you start one of these threads where you decide you want to have a bitch session about things you seem relatively uneducated about... and it's more than a little old.

The sack wasn't the only play, it was just the one that stood out most to people and could be easily remembered. I am happy as hell the Bengals won today, but they can't play this way every game and win. Do you think they should become complacent and not improve from week to week? Go back and look at the things I pointed out.

I have pointed out Nate Livings poor play from game one when on the first offensive snap of the season he got knocked 2 yards into the backfield, he landed at the feet of Cedric Benson who had just gotten the ball, he then had to cut it outside and was tackled for a 2 yard loss. Do you remember that play?

I've complained about Andre Smith, who many others have complained about his poor technique, his inability to pass block, and his inability to hold his blocks. He is a restricted free agent after this year, and the coaches need to be getting ready one way or another on what they are going to do.

The stats don't lie on Benson today. That was a horrible performance and time after time he was missing the hole and not following his lead blockers. Once again I am not the only one to point this out, but I'm the bad guy?

Listen Sportees... I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you.

But it's clear you don't study the film. Neither do I... so I'm not taking shots at you for that. But I also don't think you can form an accurate opinion just watching the game on Sunday. Specifically with O-Linemen, you will almost always only notice the negative. More importantly, the Lineman who ends up looking bad is not always the guy at fault.

All of that to say... you want Livings replaced, but the guys that are riding the bench had an opportunity to play RG earlier this year, and sucked. Ok? So he's the best we've got.

So you have a choice. You can complain about it after every damn game, pretending that there is a simple solution, when there isn't. OR... you can just relish the fact that a Bengals team that is currently the youngest team in the AFC is winning games and seems to have a bright future.

It's up to you. I'm not here to tell you what kind of fan to be... but by the same token, don't expect me to sit here and listen to you bitch after every win without pointing out how ridiculous you sound. Fair enough?

:cheers: