Are We Going To Suffer Wile E. Coyote Syndrome?

walzav29

I have been a Bengal fan for 23 years. I am absolutely convinced that Marvin will get the Bengals a Superbowl victory. I have wanted this for so long, as well as all of you have. Will we still have the passion after we get it? After you finally catch the road runner, then what? Oh well. I can't wait to find out. I just hope that the anticipation doesn't beat the destination. I'm just glad that damn Montana is gone!

I don't think we need to start worrying about how we would respond after winning a Super Bowl just yet.

If now now...when, or do we ever?

I agree with Tecmo - Let's have a winning season first before we go off claiming Super Bowl ambitions.

In 1987, the bengals finished with a 4-11 record. The following year, they were 12-4 and appeared in their second superbowl. Going from 8-8 last year to the superbowl this year is allot easier to believe than going from 4-11 to the superbowl in 87-88. I'm with you guys. I don't think it's going to happen this year either, but stranger things have definitely happened. And as Billy said, if not now..when, or do we ever?

Yea, it's definitely possible and for all I know, we could go undefeated. I think the Bengals, as a team, haven't promoted themselves (including Lewis among players) of a dead-sight aim with a Championship team. Sure they want to win it all, that's every players goal on every team in every season.. but that's not the buzz of the town at all.

The answer to your question: 2005. It's the 3rd season of Lewis' reign, and in most circumstances, the coaches 3rd season is usually a great one. We just need to keep that patience mentality for now (even though I'll probably go off onto some kind of rant at some point this season) and know we're almost through that 13-year tunnel into the light of greatness -- man, that was good. :D

Yea, it's definitely possible and for all I know, we could go undefeated.  I think the Bengals, as a team, haven't promoted themselves (including Lewis among players) of a dead-sight aim with a Championship team.  Sure they want to win it all, that's every players goal on every team in every season.. but that's not the buzz of the town at all.

The answer to your question: 2005.  It's the 3rd season of Lewis' reign, and in most circumstances, the coaches 3rd season is usually a great one.  We just need to keep that patience mentality for now (even though I'll probably go off onto some kind of rant at some point this season) and know we're almost through that 13-year tunnel into the light of greatness -- man, that was good.  :D

That was pure gold Josh :D

I think you're right on the money about '05. Marvin needs one more draft, a couple more FA's next year, and the coming of age of some of this year's and last year's draft picks, and we'll be in a great spot to contend and go to the show.

And, I've seen this written many times, but I agree. We could have a worse record this year, and still be a better team than we were last year. We gotta just keep the faith. Hmmmm. I think I've heard that somewhere during the last 13+ years.

That was pure gold Josh  :D

I think you're right on the money about '05.  Marvin needs one more draft, a couple more FA's next year, and the coming of age of some of this year's and last year's draft picks, and we'll be in a great spot to contend and go to the show.

And, I've seen this written many times, but I agree.  We could have a worse record this year, and still be a better team than we were last year.  We gotta just keep the faith.  Hmmmm.  I think I've heard that somewhere during the last 13+ years.

I look at it this way. After the 2001 season, if anyone told me that the Panthers would be in the SuperBowl in 2 years, I would have either laughed myself silly or had the carted away for a 72 hour eval. I mean, get real! A 1-15 team who had just lost their Number 1 receiver, courtesy of a murder charge? I want some of what you're smoking,! It's gotta be good if you can dream up that kind of stuff.

Looking back, I totally underestimated the impact of a new head coach. John Fox did an outstanding job and richly deserved the extension to 2008 he got.

All that being said, I just can't believe that John Fox is THAT much of a better head coach than Mavin Lewis.

I do so like Marvin's response to Carolina's success, "Why NOT us?"

We've got to win one if not both of the first two games before we play Baltimore and Pittsburgh before the bye. 3-1 or 2-2 is essential before the bye week. We play the Browns then Denver in the Monday nighter. I can't wait! In Marvin we trust!