Bills @ Bengals Game Thread

Scottishbengal

One of the most important plays of the game that Dalton made was with his feet when he ran and stretched out for a first down on third and long.

Everyone is comparing Dalton's first half and second half performances and not looking at the difference in play calling. First half was full of medium to long routes early in the down, and lots of long third down plays. The second half consisted of more running plays (draws and pitch outs vs. dives), and screen plays. The play calling made it easier for Dalton to succeed.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most important plays of the game that Dalton made was with his feet when he ran and stretched out for a first down on third and long.

Don't forget Marvin finally made a successful challenge on that play.

Don't forget Marvin finally made a successful challenge on that play.

No Billy, it was under 2 minutes and reviews can only come from the booth...

:sure:

So Marvin still sucks at challenges! lol

Pimp, you are closing in on DontPushMe level of dumb.

C'mon Mem, i'm a LOOONG way from that......I mean, I'd like to become a Dalton fan, he just has to convince me......Truth of the matter is....I'm in the minority because I always supported Carson, and still miss the dude.....I know that sets me up for some bashing, but.....I expect it a bit.......

Carson's f**kin' gone.

Because he f**kin' quit.

Move on.

The rookie, dealing with all the s**t cheeseland just covered, is 2-2. New day.

I know, I know, It's just gonna take time.....I keep imagining in my head Carson throwing 65 yard bombs to AJ Green and it makes me sick.....

When is the last time that Carson threw a 65 yd bomb? The guy was a shell of himself.

The play calling made it easier for Dalton to succeed.

I think it was more the o-line. In the first half the o-line was horrid. They got dominated the same way they had the last two games. But in the second half they suddenly found a set of balls. They started opening holes even I could run through for Benson and that in turn opened everything up. I do agree the playcalling got better in the the second half in that they started to get more guys involved, particularly Gresham and Leonard. But it all started up front.

The play calling made it easier for Dalton to succeed.

I think it was more the o-line. In the first half the o-line was horrid. They got dominated the same way they had the last two games. But in the second half they suddenly found a set of balls. They started opening holes even I could run through for Benson and that in turn opened everything up. I do agree the playcalling got better in the the second half in that they started to get more guys involved, particularly Gresham and Leonard. But it all started up front.

I'll agree with you to an extent, but I'll tell you why. The play calling actually made it easier for the guys to block. Now listen to me before you get argumentative about what I have to say. In the second half, the mix of plays that included draws, screens, short routes, and quick pitch running plays outside made it easier for the guys up front to block because they didn't have to sustain their blocks very long. Then when they did run the dive plays, the defense was on their heels a bit protecting against the screens and such. They couldn't just push up field and knock guys like Livings 2 yards in the backfield.

I've been saying this for a few weeks now. You have to coach to your strength, and this team is actually set up for the West Coast offense. The line just isn't physical enough to plow guys straight ahead all game long. They require a little element of surprise. I'd still like to see some bubble screens to Gresham and Green, and I really like those 7-10 yard button patterns to Green. With his big body he can shield the defender off him and the ball. Let's hope Gruden learns from this second half game film and continues it into the future.

I'll agree with you to an extent, but I'll tell you why. The play calling actually made it easier for the guys to block.

I wouldn't argue with that. But what I saw in the first half was an o-line getting its ass kicked. Playcalling might have helped some, but Livings and Smith in particular were playing at bench-me-now levels. I wouldn't have given you two cents for their chances to succeed no matter what plays were called. I don't know what happened at halftime, maybe Simpson broke out some of his "special" stash or something, but suddenly they looked like football players.

Just got home from the game.

My impression...

1st half: Gresham was invisible. Dalton looked like a rookie... it seemed like the game was too fast for him. Running game wasn't a priority. A.J. Green and the Defense looked good.

2nd half: Gresham put on his big boy pants. Dalton looked like a different guy... confident, poised, accurate. Benson was stud. A.J. Green and Defense continued to shine.

All in all... as bad as it was in the 1st half, I loved the character this team showed. It was one of the most fun football games I've ever been to.

By the way... I just did the math.

Andy Dalton's passer rating in the 1st half: 15.8

Andy Dalton's passer rating in the 2nd half: 127.6

Say what you want about this dude... but it appears he is impossible to rattle. To have things go that poorly in the first half, and not have it negatively effect his performance in the 2nd half in f**king impressive.

Two other points: I pointed out a couple times seal blocks on the edge by Gresham. It makes me wonder if it is just his blocking technique that needs improved because he did better on cross blocks and crack back blocks than straight up blocks where he has to turn the defender inside.

Baby Hawk was much better than Caldwell and I would like to see him returning kicks and punts. Tate at this point has been a disappointment, and it has to say something that Baby Hawk gets on the field in passing situations and Tate doesn't.

In Marvins presser he said they went into halftime, and told his guys we need to run the ball if we want to win we need to run the ball. HMMMM really i think everybody here has been saying that. Marvin said they got away from it, which i still cant understand why they did. Looked what happens when this team can run the ball, all of a sudden everyone becomes more confident.

I was one of the first today to say how horrible Gruden was in the first half, but i will give him credit for that halftime adjustment with some great calls in the 2nd half. I just hope this changes his mind about running the ball, and they continue to find a way to pound the ball, and run it as much as they can. When they run the ball, Andy some how finds his rythem and looks good.

Hope today helps Andy get better, and helps him reaize that he can be an NFL QB, and he can be good if he just keeps his head up. It was crazy seeing him in the 1st half, and they the 2nd it was like night and day. So way to keep your head up. Now i want to see them use all 3 RBs from now on.

In Marvins presser he said they went into halftime, and told his guys we need to run the ball if we want to win we need to run the ball. HMMMM really i think everybody here has been

According to Hobson, the guy who made the difference at halftime was Clements, who basically told everyone they were mailing it in and needed to get out and play.

In other words, one of the FAs they brought in this offseason had the balls to tell the rest of the team to quit f**king quitting.

And they did.

I like it. More, please.

In Marvins presser he said they went into halftime, and told his guys we need to run the ball if we want to win we need to run the ball. HMMMM really i think everybody here has been

According to Hobson, the guy who made the difference at halftime was Clements, who basically told everyone they were mailing it in and needed to get out and play.

In other words, one of the FAs they brought in this offseason had the balls to tell the rest of the team to quit f**king quitting.

And they did.

I like it. More, please.

That's kinda sad. I would hope that a guy like Whitworth would be the one to stand up and make a speech, but it seems like Whit is more of the silent type that handles business (i.e. NFLPA Rep).

It's not sad at all. Whit has been one of the guys carrying this team. He doesn't need to say more -- he needs support. And if Clements is giving that, more power to him.

The bottom line is that the more guys the Bengals have who aren't satisfied with mediocrity, and are willing to say so, the better off the team is.

It's not sad at all. Whit has been one of the guys carrying this team. He doesn't need to say more -- he needs support. And if Clements is giving that, more power to him.

The bottom line is that the more guys the Bengals have who aren't satisfied with mediocrity, and are willing to say so, the better off the team is.

I guess I came across wrong when I said it was sad. What I mean is, that it takes a new guy instead of a guy that has spent all these years dealing with this attitude of giving up and losing, to be the one to stand up and give a motivational speech.

On the other hand, it's good because maybe this will be an injection of a different type of attitude that the rookies and Bengal veterans can grasp on to.

What I mean is, that it takes a new guy instead of a guy that has spent all these years dealing with this attitude of giving up and losing, to be the one to stand up and give a motivational speech.

Well... Clements is one of only two players on this team that isn't in his 20's.

This is an incredibly young team. So the very few veterans this team has need to do what he did. It's not sad that he has to step up to be a veteran leader. There isn't anybody else.

It's a hell of a lot better than the veterans on this team being Palmer and Chad... no?

What I mean is, that it takes a new guy instead of a guy that has spent all these years dealing with this attitude of giving up and losing, to be the one to stand up and give a motivational speech.

Well... Clements is one of only two players on this team that isn't in his 20's.

This is an incredibly young team. So the very few veterans this team has need to do what he did. It's not sad that he has to step up to be a veteran leader. There isn't anybody else.

It's a hell of a lot better than the veterans on this team being Palmer and Chad... no?

Oh I understand that, but you still got guys with age and tenure in Whitworth, Benson, Peko, or Leon Hall even. Even one of the young Bengals like Rey, Michael Johnson, or whomever could have stood up and become a young leader. Hopefully Clements and some of these other free agents will instill something in these young guys.

glad to hear marvin went to gruden and told him to run the ball. about damn time!

the d ranked #1 wow that's scary considering this defense is still learning.

i bash the coaches all the time. today the coaching staff deserve props for a good second half. they actually made adjustments to win a game.

Pimp, you are closing in on DontPushMe level of dumb.

C'mon Mem, i'm a LOOONG way from that......I mean, I'd like to become a Dalton fan, he just has to convince me......Truth of the matter is....I'm in the minority because I always supported Carson, and still miss the dude.....I know that sets me up for some bashing, but.....I expect it a bit.......

Pimp, just think back to the Bills game last year. The Bills put on a spirited comeback in the 2nd half. They played with purpose, and Carson played like he didn't know the offense, and he played like a washed up journeyman who just didn't care.

Jump forward to this year. We have the same team in town. Instead of Carson folding like a pansy, we have Dalton playing like a bastard and helping to win the game. Get on board the Dalton bandwagon Pimp, while there is still room.