bye ced

membengal

Well it was reported that basically the players association through 8 players under the bus. In the new CBA they agreed to let Godell punish 8 guys, including Pacman and Benson, for their actions during the lockout.

Ok so what about the other players on that list what was there punishment??? I dont get this league sometimes and there punishment, you want to punish guys, then fine be consistant though and do it to everyone, not just bengal players!

Well it was reported that basically the players association through 8 players under the bus. In the new CBA they agreed to let Godell punish 8 guys, including Pacman and Benson, for their actions during the lockout.

Ok so what about the other players on that list what was there punishment??? I dont get this league sometimes and there punishment, you want to punish guys, then fine be consistant though and do it to everyone, not just bengal players!

Per PFT:

The eight players identified in the letter are: Talib, Britt, Benson, Albert Haynesworth, Clark Haggans, Johnny Jolly, Pacman Jones, and Brandon Underwood.

Britt and Talib were let off the hook by Godell. So once again he picks and chooses...that's the problem with the system!

Florio had it right (oblig. blind squirrel reference) - Ced should sue the damn union for selling him out. Could be some real questions as to whether it fairly represented him. Or whether it can make that deal with Goodell at all, since there was no union at the time.

I'm with Goodell to a degree in terms of cleaning up the sh*t. But this picking and choosing who to punish crap turns off everybody.

Florio had it right (oblig. blind squirrel reference) - Ced should sue the damn union for selling him out. Could be some real questions as to whether it fairly represented him. Or whether it can make that deal with Goodell at all, since there was no union at the time.

I'm with Goodell to a degree in terms of cleaning up the sh*t. But this picking and choosing who to punish crap turns off everybody.

If I was him, I would sue the living hell out of the league, Godell, and the NFLPA for some type of collusion against him that would affect his employment or ability to work. He can't go to the government because of anti-trust laws but he sure can make a civil case out of it.

PFT has a new article up saying the NFLPA DID NOT agree to let the 8 players be punished for stuff that happened during the lockout. Backtracking maybe to cover their own butts once the letter between them and the league office was made public.

The NFLPA feels differently. “We believe that no player should be subjected to discipline for incidents

occurring during the lockout,” NFLPA spokesman George Atallah told PFT via email tonight. “The NFL and the NFLPA signed a side letter to the CBA that resolved and absolved the overwhelming majority of players of conduct related issues. We retain all of our rights and ability to challenge any player discipline related to incidents occurring during the lockout.”

Here is a link to the article and a link to the actually letter from the NFLPA to the league office:

PFT article

NFLPA Letter

You decide!

PFT has a new article up saying the NFLPA DID NOT agree to let the 8 players be punished for stuff that happened during the lockout. Backtracking maybe to cover their own butts once the letter between them and the league office was made public.

You hit the nail on the head. I think the NFLPA is spinning and backtracking for sure.

First, let's look at the actual agreement, which is the only binding document. To me, this part of the original letter is clear - and remember, it's a jointly signed announcement:

"The Commissioner has determined that the following players are repeat offender subject to discipline for conduct during the Period: Cedric Benson, etc, etc"

Now, let's break down the new press release:

“We believe that no player should be subjected to discipline for incidents occurring during the lockout,”

Pretty soft statement, and doesn't contest Goodell's right to actually do so. That reads like a pageant answer.

“The NFL and the NFLPA signed a side letter to the CBA that resolved and absolved the overwhelming majority of players of conduct related issues.

Majority's not all. Also, by mentioning 'majority' they pretty clearly state that they didn't absolve some, which would be the 8.

We retain all of our rights and ability to challenge any player discipline related to incidents occurring during the lockout.”

The actual discipline, yes. The right of Goodell to do it, see above.

To me, it seems pretty clear: the NFLPA is engaging in damage control now that they got busted making a deal with the devil that surrendered rights of their members that they might not even have the right to bargain with. Smooth move, NFLPA.

Reedy is reporting that Larry Johnson is coming to Cincinnati for a workout.

I guess they are comfortable with Larry since he was here before, I would say where is Clinton Portis but you have to watch Clinton he can be a little mouthy if he doesn't agree about how stuff is being run. I think his reputation for having an attitude may have kept him off anybody training camp roster this year, Larry had a bad attitude at KC but he learned to shut the hell up when he was with the Bengals and Redskins so they probably talked glowingly about him when they were asked.

I just heard on sirius that Ced's lawyers filed an unfair labor practice complaint with the National Labor Relations Board.

The complaint claims the union had no right to make the discipline agreement with Goodell because when it made the agreement it was not a lawful union, it had decertified, as we all remember.

Hopefully this should be enough to drag the whole thing out past this season. Then we won't care.

Good for Ced. This whole this is bull crap, how is that the only players getting in troulbe here are bengals players?? There were plenty of other players doing wrong things in the offseason, im so sick of the this league picking on the bengals. I know the bengals players dont help themselves, but at somepoint, if they are going to punish some, then they better do it for everyone!

How do veteran contracts work? I know they don't have to guarantee a contract after week 1... but can they rent Larry Johnson for 3 weeks and then cut him loose without paying him the rest of the season?

I don't know the particulars but the only contracts guaranteed for the whole season are the ones with players on active rosters week one. So they would not be on the hook for the entire year with Larry Johnson. I don't know if there's a minimum amount of games they'd have to pay him

We could always work out Clinton Portis?

<ok, never mind>

Ask a stupid question...

Per Jason La Canfora:

RB Clinton Portis worked out for Bengals today. Taking a physical now. Could be signed with Cedric Benson facing a 3-game suspension

Perhaps Bernard Scott should try selling weed over the internet. Maybe then Marvin Lewis would notice him.

Rent a wreck Clinton Portis will show all the doubters what we have in Ced. Clinton Portis = My Dead Granny.

Portis reportedly has left town without a contract offer. Now... do the same to Larry Johnson and I'm happy.

They've got 3 young RB's on the roster to do the job. Why even carry Peerman if they are going to go get another crusty vet the moment Ced can't start? Let the kids play and see what happens.

The way Marvin acts on the sidelines, he must be toking it up before the game. I wonder who his supplier is? Maybe that is why Simpson has hung around all this time.

Didn't Larry Johnson start a game last year for the Bengals and rush for over a 100 yards?

I think it was during the 2009 season.

/>http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/9/27/2453279/clinton-portis-larry-johnson-cincinnati-bengals

No immediate ruling on Benson's appeal.

On Tuesday, the appeal of Bengals running back Cedric Benson’s three-game suspension was heard. But with no ruling on the matter, Benson remains on track to play this weekend against the Bills.

“A player is not suspended until he has had an opportunity to file an appeal and for that appeal to be heard and adjudicated,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said this morning via email.

At this point, it’s not clear when a ruling will come.

“We have numerous objections to Cedric’s suspension and had the opportunity to express them today to the the NFL’s hearing officer, Harold Henderson,” Benson’s lawyer, David Cornwell, told PFT by email. “Mr. Henderson considered our evidence and arguments, but did not give an indication of when he will issue a ruling.”

The biggest question seems to be whether the NFL has the power to impose discipline against players for off-field conduct occurring during the lockout. In Benson’s case, the situation is complicated by the fact that he wasn’t even employed by an NFL team, since his prior contract with the Bengals had expired.