Football Gameplan's Week 3 Preview Video - Bengals v 49ers

EmDiggy

Wow, he picked the Bengals to win.

His analysis seems pretty good, but I think stopping Gore and Hunter is not going to be easy.

I going to say the game hinges on what team wins the turnover battle.

Thanks RBB! The biggest key for me is how the Niners have no trust in Alex Smith... so, winning on 1st Down is vital for the Bengals

Many people on this board think for the Bengals to be most effective in the running game, they need to do the opposite of what you say. Instead of spreading out the defense with wide offensive sets and gashing the running lanes, they believe they need to use two TE sets and unbalanced lines and push the other team around and power the ball down the field a la 2009. Personally I think the best case scenario is to be versatile and keep the defense on their toes. Not many teams use motion packages anymore, I wonder why that is.

I think you're on to something, COB. In fact, I'm pretty sure Don Cannabis would receive far less criticism if he had a video camera, a spare bedroom, and a collection of tiny helmets. (No offense intended, EmDiggy)

As for the prediction itself?

My faith in the Bengals has been shaken, not because of pot busts or player suspensions, but rather....the Bengal defense. They simply give up too many big plays in both the running and passing games. Overall they seem to be a far better unit on paper than on the field. Or if you prefer, the collective whole seems much less than one would expect when measuring the talent of individual pieces. Too many blowups and broken coverages.

Furthermore, as bad as the 49'ers might be I think they match up pretty well defensively. For example, not only can San Francisco stop the run they get very good pressure on the QB using only their down lineman. They're not a blitz happy bunch.

I hope I'm wrong, and it won't suprise me if I am. But it just feels like the Bengal defense could easily surrender nearly 30 points a game against any team regardless of if the opposition is competent or not.

I think you're on to something, COB. In fact, I'm pretty sure Don Cannabis would receive far less criticism if he had a video camera, a spare bedroom, and a collection of tiny helmets. (No offense intended, EmDiggy)

As for the prediction itself?

My faith in the Bengals has been shaken, not because of pot busts or player suspensions, but rather....the Bengal defense. They simply give up too many big plays in both the running and passing games. Overall they seem to be a far better unit on paper than on the field. Or if you prefer, the collective whole seems much less than one would expect when measuring the talent of individual pieces. Too many blowups and broken coverages.

Furthermore, as bad as the 49'ers might be I think they match up pretty well defensively. For example, not only can San Francisco stop the run they get very good pressure on the QB using only their down lineman. They're not a blitz happy bunch.

I hope I'm wrong, and it won't suprise me if I am. But it just feels like the Bengal defense could easily surrender nearly 30 points a game against any team regardless of if the opposition is competent or not.

With that being said, the Bengals problem isn't scheme, talent, or execution, it's mental breakdowns in sparse moments throughout the game that allows for big plays. This is something that can vary from game to game, and it can be corrected. If you look at it like a mechanic, if you have the tools, parts, and knowledge to do the job...there isn't a problem unless you have a brain fart and forget something. Good thing about that is, generally once you forget something once, it doesn't happen a second time and you learn from it.

So here's to hoping the Bengals learned something from last week!