Rookie Review: Dalton v. Palmer

HoosierCat

Just a data point, but IMO worth a note.

Through 2 games (and just 6 quarters) Andy Dalton is 37 for 56 (66%) for 413 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 picks.

In his first two starts (8 quarters) in 2004, Palmer was 39/65 (60%) for 395 yards, 2 TDs and 2 picks.

So, so far, rookie Dalton > rookie Palmer.

:sure:

Other recent "success story" rookie QB's with through their first 2 games:

Ben Roethlisberger: 24-42 (57%) 339 yards - 3 TDs/3 INTs - Passer Rating - 77.3

Joe Flacco: 28-48 (58%) 258 yards - 0 TDs/2 INTs - Passer Rating - 55.7

Matt Ryan: 22-46 (48%) 319 yards - 1 TD/2 INTs - Passer Rating - 59.9

Mark Sanchez: 32-53 (60%) 435 yards - 2 TDs/1 INT - Passer Rating - 91.3

Andy Dalton: 37-56 (66%) 413 yards - 3 TDs/0 INTs - Passer Rating - 105.7

Side Note: Cam Newton: 52-83 (63%) 854 yards - 3 TDs/4 INTs - Passer Rating - 89.1... the 4 INTs were costly... but 854 yards in 2 games?!

The stats tell a compelling story. The eyes do too - it seems that Dalton is making decisions faster, going through his progressions faster. Very encouraging. And like 711 says, the difference in preparation makes it all the more incredible.

The only mitigating differences I can think of are: 1) the Bengals' two opponents this far are atrocious, and 2) Thanks to the lockout, defenses are way behind offenses (witness crazy passing stats league-wide).

But yeah, I think we might have a good deal on our hands. Frankly, it's nice to *not* see the QB and #1 receiver tossing each other under the bus after every bad play.

Other recent "success story" rookie QB's with through their first 2 games:

Ben Roethlisberger: 24-42 (57%) 339 yards - 3 TDs/3 INTs - Passer Rating - 77.3

Joe Flacco: 28-48 (58%) 258 yards - 0 TDs/2 INTs - Passer Rating - 55.7

Matt Ryan: 22-46 (48%) 319 yards - 1 TD/2 INTs - Passer Rating - 59.9

Mark Sanchez: 32-53 (60%) 435 yards - 2 TDs/1 INT - Passer Rating - 91.3

Andy Dalton: 37-56 (66%) 413 yards - 3 TDs/0 INTs - Passer Rating - 105.7

Side Note: Cam Newton: 52-83 (63%) 854 yards - 3 TDs/4 INTs - Passer Rating - 89.1... the 4 INTs were costly... but 854 yards in 2 games?!

This is very interesting.

Current passer rating in the NFL through two games this year...Andy Dalton is 8th overall at 105.7.

Current passing rating for the AFC North quarterbacks:

1. Dalton 105.7 (8th overall)

2. Flacco 82.8 (22nd overall)

3. McCoy 82.2 (23rd overall)

4. Roeth 79.4 (25th overall)

To those who wanted Gradkowski to start these games: How could you expect anything more? Has Bruce G ever had a rating over 100 over a two game span?

Sure it was against two poor teams but it was also on the road and that's huge in the NFL.

All in all a decent start

Its funny though how there is no love for Dalton other than here on bengals boards, everything about Newton but nothing about Dalton. Well i dont care ill Dalton some love for the way he played! Once Gruden decieded to take off the training wheels in the second half Dalton showed us that he does have an arm, and he can throw it down the field, when he has time to throw. Keep up the good work, and build off that play Dalton!

Its funny though how there is no love for Dalton other than here on bengals boards, everything about Newton but nothing about Dalton.

Newton's just higher profile - National champion, #1 overall pick. Dalton's coming from TCU in the second round. Also, Newton's 400 yards per game is pretty impressive. I have heard the talking heads mention that Dalton's looked good when running through the Bengals' highlights.

No doubt, though, if Dalton keeps it up, he will definitely get more attention.

Also, Newton's 400 yards per game is pretty impressive.

I've got all the love in the world for Andy, but his performance as a rookie is just being overshadowed by Cam's aerial displays. I can't remember any 1st year QB coming out and throwing for such impressive yardage. Ever.

Also, Newton's 400 yards per game is pretty impressive.

I've got all the love in the world for Andy, but his performance as a rookie is just being overshadowed by Cam's aerial displays. I can't remember any 1st year QB coming out and throwing for such impressive yardage. Ever.

I admit that I didn't watch the game, and that Newton's stats are ridiculous... but from the highlights, some of those INTs were terrible. But yeah... he has impressed.

Another stat for the pile: per Reedy, Dalton is only the second rookie QB since the merger to post a QB rating over 100 in his first two starts.

The other guy? Dan Marino.

Crazy impressive.

Especially when you consider that Marino didn't start his first game until week 6... and had a pretty impressive supporting cast (the Dolphins went to the Super Bowl the prior year).

Just a data point, but IMO worth a note.

Through 2 games (and just 6 quarters) Andy Dalton is 37 for 56 (66%) for 413 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 picks.

In his first two starts (8 quarters) in 2004, Palmer was 39/65 (60%) for 395 yards, 2 TDs and 2 picks.

So, so far, rookie Dalton > rookie Palmer.

:sure:

You can't go by just numbers because Dalton is in a much better situation (Jay Gruden). I mean, sh*t, the fact that Carson put up the numbers he did with a complete MORON of an Offensive Coordinator like Bratkowski is Amazing.

Palmer alsoo didn't have the kind of weapons as a Rookie that Dalton has. You can debate AJ Green vs. Chad....... but Simpson > TJ at that time......Shipley waaay > Kelley Washington......and Gresham Waaaay > Than Matt Schobel

I'm very pleased with Red Rifle as Dave Lapham calls him 0 turnovers, played Denver game with a hurt wrist, 1 bad decision in taking sack in 4th qtr, but he's a rookie, CPalmer retiring might have been a blessing in disguise, surely someone would have a pick 6 by now in only 2 games...

You can't go by just numbers because Dalton is in a much better situation (Jay Gruden). I mean, sh*t, the fact that Carson put up the numbers he did with a complete MORON of an Offensive Coordinator like Bratkowski is Amazing.

You can't be serious. Brat failed because the NFL caught up with him toward the end and he lacked the personnel to do what his scheme requires. But early on... 2004-2007 he was considered one of the best OCs in the NFL, and was even interviewed for HC jobs.

Palmer alsoo didn't have the kind of weapons as a Rookie that Dalton has. You can debate AJ Green vs. Chad....... but Simpson > TJ at that time......Shipley waaay > Kelley Washington......and Gresham Waaaay > Than Matt Schobel

Chad was a top 5 WR in the NFL. Green will probably get there... but he's not there yet. And not sure many people will back your assumption that Simpson is better than Housh. Housh certainly had far superior hands. Simpson remains unproven in a lot of ways.

As for the other comparisons in talent... what about Rudi? 1,500 yards and 10 rushing TDs. Remind me, what are your thoughts on Cedric Benson again?

How about the O-Line? Levi in his prime, Steiny, Braham, Bobbie Williams, and a Pro-Bowl Willie Anderson. Yeah... and Carson had more than a full year to learn the system... compared to Dalton having a few weeks?

Yeah... Dalton's performance has been more impressive.