Bengals at Denver Game Thread (9/17/11)

membengal

To me what bothered me the most is the fact they could not get 3rd and 1 all game long. The o-line had no push and it was just a disapointment, there pad levels where up and getting pushed back. Also what happened to the team playing physical, they started out and were not that.

Defense was just bad, i dont know what happened to them, but they were just not very good for most of the day!! They couldnt stop the run at all, the 3rd and 4th recievers were beating the starting CB, i didnt like that at all.

I dont know what it is but the bengals always seem to start out slow, they need to find a way to play fast from the start. It seemed to me like they were not ready in the begining of the game, or they were not motivated. Hope they somehow fix this!!

With that said wow im excited about this team i hope they decide to let Andy throw the ball more down the field like today. So im excited about the future guys here, fix the o-line problems, and please fix the defense they need to play harder in order for the offense to stay in the games

The play of the O line was the biggest disappointment for me. They didn't open up holes for Benson all day and that last drive Dalton had pressure in his face with regularity. That's why he threw behind Simpson. What Dlaton did was really incredible considering he was playing from behind the entire game in a hostile environment with no running game to speak of. That is very encouraging

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thoughts:

Bengals lost the game on that first Denver drive. You can not expect to go into another team's house, let them reel off an 8 minute TD drive to start the game and expect to win. The team that lives by the 4h quarter comeback (the 2009 Bengals) dies by the 4th quarter non-comeback (the 2010 Bengals).

D-line missed run-stuffer R. Geathers today.

P. Sims = nonfactor today.

Where was Gresham in the passing game?

J. Simpson may not have Chad's douchebag quotient but he definitely has his hit/miss nature.

A. Dalton is for real. (Memo to billy: f**k Cam Newton :lol: )

Ditto AJ Green.

Losing Shipley sucks and it sounds serious, too. Return of Quan?

I thought the o-line could run block? Wouldn't know it from today.

R. Maualuga, please report to remedial tackling 101...stat!

J. Gruden, stop trying to be B. Bratkowski on 3rd and short.

M. Lewis: really, you needed a time out before the first Q2 snap???

M. Zimmer: get back to work.

The L sucks but we saw some good things. On to next week.

Weird stat... The Bengals scored with 11 minutes to go and neither team scored after that. Simpsons drop was critical at the time. They're in FG position if he makes the catch.

I must say that I thought it was over at 17-3 but they must get credit for not quitting.

And does anyone really miss Chad or Carson? I'll take my chances with these young guys.

I liked what I saw from Dalton. He did misfire on some critical throws, and of course he had several drops not exactly help his cause. Dalton showed me some nice touch and power on the intermediate skinny post to AJ Green and Simpson. He did overthrow Green and had poor touch on the sideline throws to Simpson but I am seeing improvement.

The D looked rather shabby. They stuffed the run once they got going but what has happened to Leon Hall? He looks like he basically took the offeason "off". He is still playing with a huge cushion and does not read the play very well. Clements is only a band aid, so whatever they can do with their 3rd CB better be an improvement next year.

Lots of disruption against Orton but not enough violence getting him to the ground.

How did they lose this game? I kept asking myself.

1. Very poor playcalls in the first half. 3rd and short and a go route to AJ Green? Ok, but only if has streaked past the CB. Gotta have an outlet, or at least scramble for the yard. To me, that is an auible call. If its not there, then go with a sneak. They have Pressley but try to throw 3 times on 3rd and short? Dumb.

2. Special teams. Who is coaching Tate? I guess no one. If they are not going to play Bernard Scottt (Again, limited touches) at least have him return punts. That they have not figured out how to use Bernard Scott, I am baffled. Has Gruden ever watched Baltimore or the Eagles? Its pretty simple. Bubble screens, delayed handoffs, short swing passes, the sort circle route underneath.... FFS, Scott is built for that. LeSean McCoy is no better than Bernard Scott, its all in how they use him. Now, I did appreciate the quick pitch today for Benson. That was a well built play and got positive yards. But what I don't get is they throw these stupid 4 yard passes, that are simply too easy to defend. I don't get it.

3. I still do not see a solution at right guard. Boling looked OK against the inexperienced Browns front but he, and Cook, got handled today. I hope Boling improves because the teams are going to focus on the weak spot and go after him now that there is some tape.

4. Our CBs. They are not so good. When Eric Decker grabs 2 TD's, you have a problem. Maybe Eric Decker will be in the Hall of Fame someday? Probably not. Probably he will see limited time once Brandon Lloyd is healed up. Hall is a liability. Clements is 47. This is a real weak spot.

5. Benson and his touches. Adhering to the run, especially on 3rd and short, is the surest way to find rhythm and sustain drives. Throwing 4 yard quick shots to Shipley and Gresham is dumb. How this is not understood, i don't get it. Benson need 25 touches. Give it to him, behind Pressley, on 3rd and 4 or less. FFS, this is not so hard. They ran twice on 3rd and 1 in the first half and they failed. Ok, then maybe try to string it out with Scott. Or a screen. 2 rushing first down for the whole game does not cut it.

6. Marvin - Marvin, Marvin, Marvin. Why, oh why, is the game of football a re-learning experience each week. From the jackazz expression on his face, to the use (or mis-use) of timeouts, I think he is a very bad game manager.

Gotta like some of the throws we saw from Dalton today. Better command of the team but still some poor decisions. Guys do need to catch the football (Simpson, and if it continues, they need to get Caldwell on the field more) but some of this is on Gruden with his dink throws, often short of the first down. Very little incorporation of Scott into the plays means a key weapon sits on the sidelines, wasted.

marvin is taking a lot of flack for not trying that 53 yard fg. just about everything i read is questioning his game management. his poor decisions with time out's and short yardage really hurt this team.

i hope the media flat out bashes the man all week. marvin earned it this week.

zimmer wtf? this defense can play better than that. stop hanging hall and clements out to dry, your all out blitzes are killing us!

gruden 3rd and short run the ball, what ever happen to the good old qb sneak? or all the screen passes in the preseason. get scott some more touches that man is a play maker. 6 touches in 2 games not nearly enough. scott should get at minimum 10-15 a game.

This is the only West Coast offense I've ever seen that doesn't throw to the RBs. What was there, one pass to Leonard yesterday? By not using Scott as a receiver we're leaving a key bullet in the chamber

Shipley: Apparently he may not be tough enough to play in the NFL. That cheap shot he took from the Browns in the endzone last year, and now this. I am worried about Shipley washing out due to repeated injuries, we need another possession receiver.

Tough enough? He was on crutches post-game and you're questioning his toughness :lmao: .

marvin is taking a lot of flack for not trying that 53 yard fg.

I was fine with that decision. If the team can't convert on short yardage plays like that, then they don't deserve to win (which they didn't).

If he misses (Nugent is only 30 something % from 50+), then Denver gets the ball with good field position, and I don't trust the defense to stop Denver from getting a FG if they get the ball near mid-field.

We ended up witht he ball back and a chance...picking this one call to get upset about is a bit weak.

Shipley: Apparently he may not be tough enough to play in the NFL. That cheap shot he took from the Browns in the endzone last year, and now this. I am worried about Shipley washing out due to repeated injuries, we need another possession receiver.

Tough enough? He was on crutches post-game and you're questioning his toughness :lmao: .

I don't mean tough enough in regards to can he play hurt. No one could play with either the head injury he had last year, or the knee injury he got yesterday.

I mean tough enough in regards to can he play NFL football and endure the hits they all take without sustaining major injuries. I'm afraid his body is just not tough enough. Can he avoid getting big injuries?

I was fine with that decision. If the team can't convert on short yardage plays like that, then they don't deserve to win (which they didn't).

If he misses (Nugent is only 30 something % from 50+), then Denver gets the ball with good field position, and I don't trust the defense to stop Denver from getting a FG if they get the ball near mid-field.

We ended up witht he ball back and a chance...picking this one call to get upset about is a bit weak.

To bad Dalton took that sack on the final possesion, we would have been able to try a looong FG to win it.

I find myself not real upset about this game, many promising things came out of it.

The most troubling thing was the run defense, if the Broncos dont run all over them in the first half it is a different game.

To bad Dalton took that sack on the final possesion, we would have been able to try a looong FG to win it.

I find myself not real upset about this game, many promising things came out of it.

The most troubling thing was the run defense, if the Broncos dont run all over them in the first half it is a different game.

No kidding - in general the d looked to have taken a giant step back from week one. And Denver ran for a grand total of, what 39 yards or something against Oak. I guess we can get ready for a steady dose of "we have to get better" comments (understatements) this week from Zimmer and Lewis.

No, you always take the points on the road. You can go for it at home but not in a hostile environment.

They went for the 4th down and Denver gets the ball there. They miss the FG, same result. You gotta take the points. Would it be nice to be 10 yards closer? Sure, and if wishes were horses beggars would ride.

Not converting on 3rd and short, or 4th and short is simply failing to win the trench battle. That, and some poor playcalls.

Gotta take the points.

I didn't mind going for it on 4th down there. I just didn't like the play call. Run the damn ball between the tackles. If you aren't confident in your O-Line to get 1 yard, you need to kick a FG or punt.

What I really didn't like was going for two when they did. The 3rd quarter is way too early for that. And I wasn't a big fan of that playcall either. If you're going to design a play to isolate a WR for a 2-point converstion... make it A.J. Green.

Im so freakin tired of this short yard crap and its the same with Gruden as well. Stop trying to get fancy and run it up the middle, if they want to be a power running game then thats what you do, or how about a freakin sneek when your at one yard!! I thought we finally got over that in the browns game i guess not!!!!

I hope Gruden finally realizes that you cant throw the ball 5 yards on every play!!!

O-Line learns to need to play with there pad level low, they stand up on almost every play and then get pushed back, keep the pad low and be physical!!

Defense was pathetic, Rey right now is a horrible middle linebacker! What happened to this so called strength of the team in the d-line, they didnt look that great. Sure they got some pressure but what the heck not near enough. I think they missed Geathers more then anything out there for the run defense. Sounds like Zim is pissed and has his guy out on a Monday walk through LOL LOL!!

While i loved Daltons performance, im still mad at this game, they had it won a couple of times. Complete a couple 3rd downs, or even that 4th down, i think they win this game. Once again a Marvin Lewis team comes out flat and slow, and needs to come back to win the game. They cant match the other teams emotions or even come out wanting it more then the other team. I just dont get it, when will a Marvin team ever come out fast and aggressive and do it week in and week out. Oh well guess its a young team

Why are you assuming a 53-Yard field goal is taking the points

Exactly.

I didn't mind going for it on 4th down there. I just didn't like the play call. Run the damn ball between the tackles. If you aren't confident in your O-Line to get 1 yard, you need to kick a FG or punt.

What I really didn't like was going for two when they did. The 3rd quarter is way too early for that. And I wasn't a big fan of that playcall either. If you're going to design a play to isolate a WR for a 2-point converstion... make it A.J. Green.

I agree about the 2-pt. conversion. I wasn't a big fan. I only saw that play once, but it looked like a catchable ball for Simpson. Dalton may have thrown it a bit too hard, if anything. If anyone here has seen that play mutliple times I'd be curious to hear your take on it.

I agree about the 2-pt. conversion. I wasn't a big fan. I only saw that play once, but it looked like a catchable ball for Simpson. Dalton may have thrown it a bit too hard, if anything. If anyone here has seen that play mutliple times I'd be curious to hear your take on it.

You can watch it as many times as you want right here.

Dalton's throw was a little to hard, a little to high... but I'd bet Green comes up with that ball.

Im so freakin tired of this short yard crap and its the same with Gruden as well. Stop trying to get fancy and run it up the middle, if they want to be a power running game then thats what you do, or how about a freakin sneek when your at one yard!! I thought we finally got over that in the browns game i guess not!!!!

In Gruden's defense, they tried to run the ball on 3rd and short earlier in the game on 2 occasions. They got stuffed both times. The Bengals weren't exactly owning the line of scrimmage.

I was hoping they'd try the FG or actually punt. There was still 3:30 left in the game.

Well I think after watching that play that running between the tackles wouldn't have gotten the yard either.

Well I think after watching that play that running between the tackles wouldn't have gotten the yard either.

If you're talking about the 2-point conversion... I didn't say they should have run it there. I just didn't like the quick throw to a guy with questionable hands in an all or nothing scenario.

If you're talking about the 4th down... fine. But my point isn't that they would have gotten the 1st down. My point is that if you can't trust your running game to get 1 yard in that situation, you shouldn't be going for it at all.