Bengals @ Browns Game Thread

Scottishbengal

I've just been trawling around the UK online sports betting sites, well 7 of the main ones anyway.

Almost all the bookies have The Browns at 3/1 ON to win, and the general consensus for The Bengals is at 12/5. These odds are for outright wins and not covering any spread.

I really can't see that Cleveland are THAT much better than us, even if they have homefield advantage.

I've got a few ££ on The Bengals so if they can sneak home in a close game (or preferably blow Cleveland out the water) I'm going to have a nice little wad towards next years trip (hopefully....if Mrs Scottish lets me go ......and I don't end up drinking with those crazy Canadien Bengals fans ......ooooh those Canucks)

Can't wait for the game.

WHODEY !!!

Do we really suck that bad, that the Clowns are 6-1/2 point favorites, maybe I'm biased but I just can't see it...I really think that they are going to get pressure on the QB this year, and with this West coast offense with short passes, even ADalton can handle that...We will be a better running team with ASmith, and play action will be key...

I can see a low scoring match here, 17-10 or 20-13 with the Bengals edging it.

Here's hoping so anyway!:cheers:

Key match-up to look for: Whitworth against rookie DE Jaabal Sheard. If/when Whitworth begins to seal that end, look for the running game to exploit it.

Personally, I think the Bengals are going to run right over the Browns, both Benson and Scott. I don't think their DL matches up well with our OL. On defense we should be able to get good penetration with 2 of their starters out to include their RT.

Bengals 20

Browns 12

Joe Reedy gives the edge to the Browns, but at least he is reasonable... unlike this guy, who says the Browns win 17-0.

Really? The Browns shut Cincy out? Child please.

Browns fans get drunk off their pre-season optimism.

I hope the browns just overlook the bengals, kind of like what the bengals did last year to every team, and well we all saw how the bengals were. Ive been hearing alot of love for the browns this year, heck i hear adam shine say they will be a wildcard team this year. Who knows but i hope the browns overlook the bengals.

OK, so espn has this preview up for the game.

/>http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/nflpreview?gameId=310911005

To the right there's a short video in which the talking heads splutter something about someone comparing Dalton to Akili Smith in terms of his ability to pick up the playbook...or something like that, it's pretty garbled.

Huh? Did I miss something? Did anyone on the Bengals compare Dalton to Smith? Or is espn now just completely making sh*t up?

To the right there's a short video in which the talking heads splutter something about someone comparing Dalton to Akili Smith in terms of his ability to pick up the playbook...or something like that, it's pretty garbled.

Huh? Did I miss something? Did anyone on the Bengals compare Dalton to Smith? Or is espn now just completely making sh*t up?

The media is just making things up, then running with them.

I think the disconnect is that the Bengals defense looks to be better than last year. Much faster. The front 7 are going to be solid. If they play well, the Bengals WILL win this game. And of course the media is completely overlooking the Browns losing both Steinbach and Pashos, their RT.

Suprisingly, the ONLY prognosticator to pick the Bengals to win is Brian Baldinger from the NFL network. Pointing out the very same things that I see (most of us, really) as well.

Nobody has been able to see the differences in this team. All they see is last season and this offseason. The Browns might win but it won't be in a blowout. No way.

Obviously the biggest threat we are facing in this game is Hillis. You might be tempted to say it's Cribbs, but the new kickoff rule lessens his ability to hurt us and Huber has been a monster all pre season. You may recall Hillis brutalizing performance against us most recently . . . when he ran for 56 yards behind their first team OL. So, if Hillis has to run behind two rookie linemen (LG and RT out for the game), I don't expect Hillis to have a huge game.

This leaves me wondering how, exactly, the Browns plan on scoring. Every article I read says they have no true #1 receiver and no deep threat. Are we going to get dipped and dunked to death by Ben Watson?? I just don't get how some people are predicting the Browns put up 30+ points on us.

I understand the skepticism about Dalton's ability to lead us to a week 1 win, but I think we have simply too many weapons on offense. I think there were perhaps 4 legitimate overthrows by Dalton in the preseason. How much better do his numbers look if AJ green holds on to two balls? Or if Ced holds on to two balls? He looked sharp in the preseason, especially towards the end. I'm really expecting the Bengals to catch an over confident Browns team off guard and we win by two scores.

Bengals said that Dalton has picked up the offense faster then Smith ever did. Dalton knows this offense because its very close to the offense he played with in TCU. In fact they were saying about how much of a leader he has been out there. So i have no idea where they are coming up with this stuff, but if you ask me they are making things up. Hell they have too most media have said this team will win 0-3 games, so they have to make up some pretty crappy things in order to make them sound horrible.

Man i really hope the Bengals just kill the browns tomorrow, im so tired of hearing about this crap in the media. I used to didnt care, and watch things anyways, not this year because i have found they are making things up for no reason. If they would speak the truth thats one thing, but make things up about the team, and how Andy is like Akili before they even play a game, or how Carson is coming back, and not hearing one word about the defense or what they are doing, yea screw that.

Bengals said that Dalton has picked up the offense faster then Smith ever did. Dalton knows this offense because its very close to the offense he played with in TCU. In fact they were saying about how much of a leader he has been out there. So i have no idea where they are coming up with this stuff, but if you ask me they are making things up. Hell they have too most media have said this team will win 0-3 games, so they have to make up some pretty crappy things in order to make them sound horrible.

Man i really hope the Bengals just kill the browns tomorrow, im so tired of hearing about this crap in the media. I used to didnt care, and watch things anyways, not this year because i have found they are making things up for no reason. If they would speak the truth thats one thing, but make things up about the team, and how Andy is like Akili before they even play a game, or how Carson is coming back, and not hearing one word about the defense or what they are doing, yea screw that.

Second that.

I would throughly enjoy a game where the Bengals domintated both sides of the ball. Of course we have been seeing at least one of those games every year against them since 2003.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=310911005

Did I miss something? Did anyone on the Bengals compare Dalton to Smith?

They may do come Sunday night ..... if Dalton beats his chest after a game winning drive !!!

The only thing I can imagine he's referring to is this quote:

As one long-time observer who should know said before Dalton's seventh NFL practice, he already understands the offense better than David Klingler and Akili Smith did the entire time they were here.

Perhaps the guy is saying "That's not terribly high praise" or maybe he just doesn't know how to read. Either way... not much credibility there.

I don't expect the Bengals to get their asses handed to them, but it's more about Cleveland being a generally underwhelming team than the Bengals being better than advertised. All it'll really take for things to get ugly is a pick six thrown by Dalton or a stacked Cleveland box effectively slowing down Benson/Scott enough to render the Bengals' obvious strategy useless.

I give Cleveland the edge at home between two bad teams. Should the Bengals win, I won't be surprised. Should Cleveland win by two touchdowns or more, I won't be surprised.

I do like what I hear from the Bengals, that they view this as a statement game and that they appear to as fed up with the "Bengals are the worst team evah" meme as most fans are. I don't know if they will win, but I do expect them to put up a hell of a fight.

Well if they put up a hell of a fight, then thats already better from what i saw last year. I felt like last year the bengals went into games thinking they didnt have to do anything and they would win. I think this year we are going to see alot of fighting, alot of heart, and alot of guys busting there butts. If they come toghter as a team, and work toghter on both sides of the ball, play physcial up front on both lines, and give Andy time to thrown, and the RBs room to run, maybe they come out with a good win.

Well, the bullets will be real starting tomorrow, so we will get a true assessment as to where this team is. Given the starters have not played a full game, I will be keen to see how their conditioning is come later 3rd, and into the 4th quarter. I hope that, even in a loss, they at least don't run out of gas with 9 minutes to go. I also will be keen to see how long it takes for defenses to figure out Dalton has a pop-gun arm.

I do think the Bengals D is the equalizer, and it could be a late INT or fumble that wins the game. Would be a nice change of pace.

I'm calling it 20-17 Bengals, on a late pick 6 by Reggie Nelson. I see 2 Nugent FG's, and some red zone struggles by Dalton, with Benson getting a rushing TD.