Week 5 & 6 Update

HoosierCat

Pat Kirwan says the Bengals should sign him because Dalton will get slaughtered. He's not too high on Dalton.

Yea i heard that also, he really dosnt like Dalton. Not really sure why he dosnt, i just hope that Dalton shuts up the media and goes out and plays mistake free ball. Run the ball, dont turn the ball over, play physical defense, and Andy just needs to go out there and dont lose the game.

My bet is that Garrard will have enough interest that he won't come to Cincy, even if the Bengals are interested.

That would sting more if the Bengals were interested. I'm guessing they won't be. That said, every team rumored to be interested in Carson Palmer should be interested in Garrard simply because Garrard's available.

The other guy, not so much.

Wow. The front end of this schedule keeps getting nicer. Depending on Manning's status in week 6, the Bengals could have a winning record going in to the bye.

Too bad they will likely lose the majority of the 2nd half of the season.

Only nice thing about that is, at least in the second half Andy will have played a few games, and hopefully will be up to speed, and is looking pretty good.

As far as Garrad, they were saying he will go somewhere to start not to be a back up. Guys were saying that the bengals should bring him in to start!

As far as Garrad, they were saying he will go somewhere to start not to be a back up. Guys were saying that the bengals should bring him in to start!

Garrard just got cut 5 days before the first game for most teams. He's not going anywhere to start, least of all the Bengals. I just figure the opportunity for veteran depth is somewhat tempting. When Leftwich got dropped by Jax he went to backup Roethlisberger. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers double down and try to do the same thing again.

Pat Kirwan says the Bengals should sign him because Dalton will get slaughtered. He's not too high on Dalton.

Yea i heard that also, he really dosnt like Dalton. Not really sure why he dosnt,

My opinion: Pat Kirwan's partner, Tim Ryan, went to USC and has always loved Carson. He sometimes drops the "on" sound on the end of his name when referring to him. He has also talked about how he and Carson both married latin women.

So anyway, seeing Carson not get his way has not gone over well with the two hosts of Movin' the Chains. When the issue comes up as it occassionally does, they frame the issue by asking, "Do you think it's fair for Mike Brown to punish the whole team just to get back at Carson?"

I think Dalton is just the other side of an equation that both guys on that show do not like. Probably nothing personal against Andy Dalton, they just hope he fails to put Mike in a bad light.

Yeah, I agree, Kirwan doesn't seem to have a problem with Dalton. IIRC at one point pre-draft he had him going in the top 10. He's got a problem with the Bengals. And I think that's actually pretty widespread this year. A lot of the major media negativity you hear about the team has less to do with the players and coaches and more with "Mike Brown is the worst owner evah." Which is one reason I think the team's going to do better than generally expected this season.

I think Dalton is just the other side of an equation that both guys on that show do not like. Probably nothing personal against Andy Dalton, they just hope he fails to put Mike in a bad light.

I don't think they need Andy for that. Besides, predicting Dalton to be unsuccessful this year doesn't require one to think little of Dalton. Bad team + terrible OL + no OTAs + short camp + rookie pocket passer... if his QB rating at the end of the year is above 75, I'd be shocked. And I don't think he's bad at all.

Here is a good example of the hypocrisy of the national media. If the Bengals had cut a starting qb one hour after trotting him out at a civic function as the starter, while saving $9 million against the cap, to start another veteran of questionable skills, they would be murdering the Bengals. Murdering them. Oh, and takes Jax to now having $33 million available under the cap.

Jax is getting some flak, but nothing like they should.

If they run and keep Andy around 18-25 passes they should be all right. NO TURNOVERS. If there are no turnovers. Then it's on the defense.

I partially agree. It depends largely on whether they can recreate the running game of '09. It can't just be a lot of carries. They need to be efficient, getting first downs on the ground, and winning Time Of Possession with 7-8 minute scoring drives. That's how the defense gets back to being in the top 5.

If they can do that, they go from a 4 win team to an 8 win team... maybe better.

They need to be efficient, getting first downs on the ground, and winning Time Of Possession with 7-8 minute scoring drives.

Tough to see. There's too much new stuff going on on offense to expect them to be able to sustain long drives without mistakes and turnovers (as we saw in preseason). If the Bengals are going to be even halfway decent this season, it's up to the D and teams. They need to follow the old Baltimore Ravens model and put the offense in positions to succeed with turnovers, big plays and big returns. Bengals need short fields, not long drives.

• Like 1

They need to be efficient, getting first downs on the ground, and winning Time Of Possession with 7-8 minute scoring drives.

Tough to see. There's too much new stuff going on on offense to expect them to be able to sustain long drives without mistakes and turnovers (as we saw in preseason). If the Bengals are going to be even halfway decent this season, it's up to the D and teams. They need to follow the old Baltimore Ravens model and put the offense in positions to succeed with turnovers, big plays and big returns. Bengals need short fields, not long drives.

I hate to say this, because he now is the franchise QB of the future, but the less Dalton is on the field the better. When I say this, I am piggybacking what Hoosier is saying, that they need short fields on offense. Sure they can run the clock, but we don't need 80-90 yard drives to do so. The less snaps this team takes in the beginning, means the less chances they have at making mistakes. Now once the season progresses and everyone has gotten their feet wet in the NFL, I'll feel more comfortable with the offensive unit.

Tough to see.

Agreed. I didn't say I expect it to happen. That's just what needs to happen.

There's too much new stuff going on on offense to expect them to be able to sustain long drives without mistakes and turnovers (as we saw in preseason). If the Bengals are going to be even halfway decent this season, it's up to the D and teams. They need to follow the old Baltimore Ravens model and put the offense in positions to succeed with turnovers, big plays and big returns. Bengals need short fields, not long drives.

I don't think I agree. The makeup of this team is far closer to the '09 version than the '05 version.

It's not a defense built on big plays and turnovers. It's built on forcing more punts than scores. The success of this team will be based primarily on how well the offense can sustain drives, keeping the defense rested and the other offense out of rhythm.

Similar to '09, the onus of responsibility should fall in the lap of the running game, not the passing game. Palmer was not asked to do much until the 4th quarter in '09. The Bengals should protect Dalton with a steady and solid dose of rushing the ball... which often translates to winning TOP.

If the running game gets stifled, the Bengals will be in trouble... no matter how good the defense is.

Here is a good example of the hypocrisy of the national media. If the Bengals had cut a starting qb one hour after trotting him out at a civic function as the starter, while saving $9 million against the cap, to start another veteran of questionable skills, they would be murdering the Bengals. Murdering them. Oh, and takes Jax to now having $33 million available under the cap.

I think I've got a topper.

I just heard Jack DelRio admit the Jags made no attempt whatsoever to trade Garrard.

In other words, no peanut for fans to chew upon. No attempt made to better the team by trading away a valuable asset. Rather, just another 11th hour move made to save money.

I think I've got a topper.

I just heard Jack DelRio admit the Jags made no attempt whatsoever to trade Garrard.

In other words, no peanut for fans to chew upon. No attempt made to better the team by trading away a valuable asset. Rather, just another 11th hour move made to save money.

A lot of announcers have already hinted at it, that a lot of the second tier free agents in the NFL right now aren't being picked up, not because they can't play as good anymore, but because if teams wait until after the first game of the season they can sign guys without guaranteed contracts and for less dough.

As long as we're on the subject of the media, via reedy here's the cover of the enquirer's special bengals preview section. Yeah, they went with the obvious:

/>http://yfrog.com/z/nv51rhj

Sickeningly cheesy and makes our team look gay. They should have had Ced glaring at the camera. Bring some menace to the table, not that "Red Dawn" bulls**t.