Bengals trade Clinton McDonald for Seattle CB Kelly Jennings

membengal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move. I'd be worried if he were to start over Clements, but he can succeed as a Nickel CB. Always good having another guy from The U as well.

i don't think the bengals paid nate 10 mill to back up a career 3rd corner. crazier things have happened

I know that. I'm just saying that I'd be worried if we acquired Kelly Jennings to be a starter. Kelly Jennings as a back up, I'm not worried about.

To recap...the bengals took a 7th round project that several on here bitched about and shined him into an asset that filled a sizeable hole at 3rd corner. And filled said hole with a former first round pick.

Thats one in the plus column of the bengals draft and develop side of the ledger.

I just got off the phone with my buddy from Seattle and he said that Jennings just signed a $1.8mill contract (with a $200K signing bonus) so the Bengals are on the hook for $1.6 mill.

He also said that Jennings is a smart player and a good guy but at 5'11" 175 lbs is just too small for most NFL WRs. He's best against small, speedy, slot WRs. He can't go against #1s or #2s.

He said that this deal was likely in the works over the weekend because Jennings didn't play.It got me to thinking, did McDonald play vs Carolina?

I was watching the Seahawks opener a couple weeks ago vs SD with a good friend of mine who has season tickets to the Seahawks games and after Jennings gave up a long completion he railed about how bad he was and how little he thought of the guy. That was unsolicited at the time. Little did I know he'd be in Bengal gear before long. I will call him up and tell him what I think. That is that he won this deal. Let's not expect much here

Actully i think its a great move here, he dosnt have to start and will be the nickle/4th corner back.

We said the same thing about Reggie Nelson last year, and so far he is the guy shinning this preseason. So i think sometimes a change of scenery is good for some guys, and you dont know what you got till they see. So giving up a 7th round pick who finally started to come around, for a guy who has started in league for a couple years, yea i think ill take it.

He said that this deal was likely in the works over the weekend because Jennings didn't play.It got me to thinking, did McDonald play vs Carolina?

He did indeed. So much so that in retrospect I have to wonder if McDonald wasn't being featured precisely for the purpose of giving Seattle some much needed film of McDonald to grade.

Well now that they let MacDonald go, it opens up a spot for Gholsten to come in. :lol:

I also saw on the waiver wire that C.J. Gable got cut by the Bronco's. I think I would rather take a look at him over keeping Peerman. Gable was pretty good at USC when he got the chance to play he's 6' 205 lbs.

When you are dealing with 3rd and 4th string RB's it gives you a chance to find a diamond in the rough.

Ehhhh... don't like it at all right now, but we'll see how it goes. A 3rd corner is probably more valuable than a 4th or 5th DT, but I'm concerned Seattle got the better player.

i think your right about the hawks getting the better player. but our db's needed the help more than the d-line.

Again, how is Clinton McDonald...Clinton "Practice Squad" McDonald... the better player? Seriously. Or are you just so used to bitching that you must search for absurd reasons to find fault with this trade.

Ehhhh... don't like it at all right now, but we'll see how it goes. A 3rd corner is probably more valuable than a 4th or 5th DT, but I'm concerned Seattle got the better player.

i think your right about the hawks getting the better player. but our db's needed the help more than the d-line.

Again, how is Clinton McDonald...Clinton "Practice Squad" McDonald... the better player? Seriously. Or are you just so used to bitching that you must search for absurd reasons to find fault with this trade.

Ahhhh I can see somethings haven't changed during my time away from the forums. blueridge is still that angry old man yelling posts out from the balcony seats.

good move for a team with playoff aspirations: deal out of strength into need.

but for a team that's going to win 4-5 games, it's better to keep the promising young player instead of a vet who's probably not sticking around.

Shut up. You and your loser's mindset. Lets keep the undersized practice squad DT and NOT trade him for a youngish veteran CB with great wheels! That's how you look forward to 5 win seasons.

Does this mean Ghee didn't work out here?

This means Ghee's stock is sliding because he hasn't played or been on the practice field for almost the entire preseason. Ghee is the kind of guy that needed to be healthy to stick.

Marvin Lewis said he hated to see McDonald go, but he was traded for a guy that might see 500 snaps this season, to a guy like Mcdonald who might not see the field every week. In that case this was a great move by the bengals

It has to be a great move when you take into account the other DB's that were going to make the roster. Would you rather have a former first round pick and starter in Jennings...or David Pender, Brandon Ghee, or Korey Lindsey? Johnathan Wade and Morgan Trent might even be worried about making the team at this point. Probably the only guy safe is Rico Murray because he is able to play safety as well.

So if they keep 11 DB's I am guessing Crocker, Nelson, Wilson, Mays, Miles, and Sands make it at safety. They love Sands size and potential and I don't know if they want to risk trying to put him on the practice squad and having another team swoop him up. They believe Miles can play both safety and corner in a pinch. That leaves 5 CB spots for Hall, Clements, Jennings, Murray, and either Wade or Trent. Honestly the last DB spot is going to be up for grabs between Miles, Wade, and Trent. It will be an interesting battle.

Thornton's take:

It looks like the Bengals have traded DT Clinton McDonald to the Seattle Seahawks in return for CB Kelly Jennings. Now we all know these moves with the Bengals can take weird turns before the club announces it, but as of now it stands. The move doesn’t surprise me because I felt that another corner was needed before the season started. The loss of DT Clinton McDonald is a tough one because the team groomed him for a few years, and now he is playing well. But the Bengals desperately needed a third corner and the Seahawks needed a DT.

Talking to some people that have watched Jennings closely, they say that he’s a good player, but has to be put in the right situation. He has been beaten a lot in his career, “beaten by good players that beat other guys as well”, that’s what my people told me.

The Bengals will go into the season counting on Leon Hall, Nate Clements, and Kelly Jennings as their top three corners. All the other guys will have to see where they fit. The pass defense is the one thing that has worried me all preseason, so getting more guys that can cover helps.

In comments he adds:

I had a long talk with Zimmer on Saturday night. He’s excited about the defense. So I doubt he’s thinking Marvin and Mike are making moves that he doesn’t like. I know he wanted to keep J Joe, but that one was a no brainer. Mays and Jennings have played ball. Mays not a lot, Jennings a lot. We’ll see. Not a major risk, and they needed the help in both spots

Thornton's take:

It looks like the Bengals have traded DT Clinton McDonald to the Seattle Seahawks in return for CB Kelly Jennings. Now we all know these moves with the Bengals can take weird turns before the club announces it, but as of now it stands. The move doesn’t surprise me because I felt that another corner was needed before the season started. The loss of DT Clinton McDonald is a tough one because the team groomed him for a few years, and now he is playing well. But the Bengals desperately needed a third corner and the Seahawks needed a DT.

Talking to some people that have watched Jennings closely, they say that he’s a good player, but has to be put in the right situation. He has been beaten a lot in his career, “beaten by good players that beat other guys as well”, that’s what my people told me.

The Bengals will go into the season counting on Leon Hall, Nate Clements, and Kelly Jennings as their top three corners. All the other guys will have to see where they fit. The pass defense is the one thing that has worried me all preseason, so getting more guys that can cover helps.

In comments he adds:

I had a long talk with Zimmer on Saturday night. He’s excited about the defense. So I doubt he’s thinking Marvin and Mike are making moves that he doesn’t like. I know he wanted to keep J Joe, but that one was a no brainer. Mays and Jennings have played ball. Mays not a lot, Jennings a lot. We’ll see. Not a major risk, and they needed the help in both spots

Two quick points.

First off, after reading several hundred posts about Jennings on numerous Seahawk boards the fan skinny says Jennings is wicked fast, has horrible ball skills, and simply cannot be left on a bigger WR under any circumstance. But most felt like he was well suited to play against slot receivers and more than a few felt he was about to be cut due to his salary becoming bigger than the role he was expected to play.

Last, Seahawk fans seems almost as easily distracted by their lousy front office as Bengal fans. Not kidding, in example after example most Jennings threads quickly devolve into screeds about the GM or which young high draft picks should be given away in exchange for late-round scraps, including WR Golden Tate.

Thornton's take:

In comments he adds:

Two quick points.

First off, after reading several hundred posts about Jennings on numerous Seahawk boards the fan skinny says Jennings is wicked fast, has horrible ball skills, and simply cannot be left on a bigger WR under any circumstance. But most felt like he was well suited to play against slot receivers and more than a few felt he was about to be cut due to his salary becoming bigger than the role he was expected to play.

Last, Seahawk fans seems almost as easily distracted by their lousy front office as Bengal fans. Not kidding, in example after example most Jennings threads quickly devolve into screeds about the GM or which young high draft picks should be given away in exchange for late-round scraps, including WR Golden Tate.

Once again though i bring up Reggie Nelson. When they got him from the Jags, we were all looking at there boards and seeing how the Jags fans were so happy that Nelson was gone, saying that Cincy will soon be wishing they didnt get him. All i know is im happy he is here, he is the stand out guy so far this preseason. So lets see what Zim and Coyle can do with this guy.

Zim seemed to want this guy, he also said they are not done making moves like this i wonder what else they are going after.

Not expecting much from Jennings - he was like 5th on their depth chart. I just hope Shirley ends-up being a better pro than McDonald.

Probably mentioned earlier, but this seems to be a move made in reaction to Pac Man's status. Marvin had luck with Deltha, maybe they can do something with Jennings, who was picked in the 2nd round for a reason I suppose.

trying to see the glass half full here, jennings will match up good with pittsburgs little speedy bastards (we have good cover corners in hall, clements, but they are not fast) and prolly lee evans as well, i think he is useful in the right circumstances. Just do not him line up on any big bodies...

Not expecting much from Jennings - he was like 5th on their depth chart. I just hope Shirley ends-up being a better pro than McDonald.

Probably mentioned earlier, but this seems to be a move made in reaction to Pac Man's status. Marvin had luck with Deltha, maybe they can do something with Jennings, who was picked in the 2nd round for a reason I suppose.

Jennings was a first round pick.

He was also a starter for the Seahawks, not sure who you are thinking of

Jennings was a first round pick.

He was also a starter for the Seahawks, not sure who you are thinking of

Jennings is solid, if only average, which is more than they can say for the likes of Pender, Wade, etc. It does reveal where Adam Jones is in his recovery. He seems like a guy who could end up waived/injured. Brandon Ghee has been so limited there is probably not enough to go on. For Morgan Trent, he is also solid for the nickel spot. I like Trent when he is attentive and gets safety help. My memory of him being burned by Gradkowski in the loss at Oakland two years ago still boils my blood.

Trading McDonald also seems to indicate Shirley will see time in the rotation, and they may also look for another DT who is salary victim. McDonald was also an average guy who was just getting to be consistent enough to get on the field. He is not spectacular but was doing his job well enough.

It will be interesting to see who they also look at for the DT spot. Peko, Sims, Shirley and Atkins, with Rucker and Fanaene as the 5 techniques does not look bad on paper, it's just that Shirley, Sims, Rucker and Fanaene all battle injuries, so another reliable body will likely be brought in.

Just browsing the waiver wire:

BEEFCAKE!!! DT Montavious Stanley was cut bu the Lions.

Two Buckeyes were cut, obviously Gholston (bears) and also Youbouty (from TB).

I also read that the Cowboys will probably cut Igor Olshansky, the huge 5 technique DE/DT. Maybe he's worth a look.

Just browsing the waiver wire:

BEEFCAKE!!! DT Montavious Stanley was cut bu the Lions.

Two Buckeyes were cut, obviously Gholston (bears) and also Youbouty (from TB).

I also read that the Cowboys will probably cut Igor Olshansky, the huge 5 technique DE/DT. Maybe he's worth a look.

Who are you going to replace on our d-line to bring one of those guys in? We actually have depth at that position, which is why McDonald was traded in the first place.

I'm really pleased with this trade. Yes, we lost what appears to be a great guy, but we exchange someone who would most likely be wearing street clothes every Sunday, for a player that can get on the field and help now. It's hard to be upset with this one.