Andrew Luck Derby

So Andrew Luck is the prohibitive favorite to be next years #1 overall. Who do you see vying with the Bengals for the rights to this pick? My thoughts...

AFC options

Miami - Henne's bad, but the D may be too good for the worst record.

Buffalo - Definitely potential suckage, but again the D's not bad

Jacksonville - I think Gabbert is going to surprise. Del Rio's D is always good.

Indy - What if Peyton can't go? Could they really suck bad enough without him to draft his heir? Losing him impacts their offense, defense and most importantly their psyche.

NFC Options

Washington - What a turdfest Shanahan and Snyder have created.

Minnesota - McNabb, Petersen, and old D, tough division. Could they really be bad enough? Nah.

Carolina - New staff, rookie QB who likes to run, yeah they could be bad again.

49ers - Hmm. Harbaugh getting Luck back? Definite possibility with a rebuilt team, a retrend QB and a disgruntled Frank Gore.

Thoughts? It's kind of sad that I can only ocme with this many teams that might be as bad as my beloved Bengals this year.

Contrary to the honorable Mr. Pimp who doesn't harbor much love for Andy, I feel we have our starting QB position set for at least the next few years barring injury of course. Dalton isn't perfect by any means, but he is a rookie QB going through the normal learning curve.

I'm willing, and so do the Bengals apparently, to give him the opportunity to make it, or break it.

Contrary to the honorable Mr. Pimp who doesn't harbor much love for Andy, I feel we have our starting QB position set for at least the next few years barring injury of course. Dalton isn't perfect by any means, but he is a rookie QB going through the normal learning curve.

I'm willing, and so do the Bengals apparently, to give him the opportunity to make it, or break it.

Agreed. I say the Bengals draft the best available OT in the 1st round next year, start that guy at RT, bump Andre to RG. Boling becomes the starter at LG or C... and suddenly, the Bengals have a damn decent O-Line.

I say the Bengals draft the best available OT in the 1st round next year, start that guy at RT, bump Andre to RG. Boling becomes the starter at LG or C... and suddenly, the Bengals have a damn decent O-Line.

this is pretty much what I expect to happen, although I'd expect the draft pick to begin as a guard like Whitworth did, then bounce over to tackle. Mikey can swallow paying $$ to three tackles for a short period of time.

it's still a league that's ALL about QB play though. They've got a year to assess Dalton. If he doesn't show that he could become championship calibre with more reps and a better line in front of him, then use a top pick on someone that can be. Even if it sets you back yet another year.

Colts would not pick a QB that high, although they might trade down to a team that did want a QB that high.

Colts might draft a QB with a pick in the late 20s, as Packers did when Favre was still around. but that was a unique situation in which a guy previously seen as having top 3 talent fell and fell and fell. Lotta dumb personnel directors, eh?

Manning to go under the knife again. Will miss "significant" time (sounds to me like the whole season) and who knows if he'll ever be right again? Or how susceptible to a fresh injury he'll be.

Welcome to Indianapolis, Andrew Luck.

Update: just to add, mort confirms the surgery today. Manning had a "cervical fusion," which IIRC was the same thing Kelly Washington had done and which helped push him down to the 3rd round way back in '03. 2-3 month minimum recovery.

Unless Dalton does something special as a Rookie, i just can't how how the Bengals can NOT draft a Luck, Landry Jones, or Matt Barkley if they're available. I mean Luck and Jones for sure.

Keep in mind that with the new rookie cap in place, these guys arent going to be making a ton of money. You KNOW Mike Brown will love that.....

2011 #1 Pick Cam Newton signed a 4-year $22 million deal.....How can you NOT take a franchise QB at that price? About $5 million per? You can't even get a decent backup for that price....

If the Bengals end up with #1 or #2 overall, QB HAS to be the choice.....I'm not taking a Tackle at #2 because at this point (before combine hype) there is nobody even close to worthy of that.

Little snips and pieces like this are trash. Simply jumping to conclusions and printing headlines like "Bill Polian scounting Andrew Luck on Saturday"

Yet, never mentioning once that Bill Polian's son Brian is Stanford's Assistant Special Teams Coach....Uh, Could he not just be a good parent and be there to support his Son????

Plus, they played At Duke, and the Polian's have a Home in North Carolina......Irresponsible "Journalism"