Roster Cutdown Begins

HoosierCat

With Waters (now grabbed by NE) and Davis, those are the only two starting guards worth signing.

Davis is superior to Livings and Williams, and most certainly Boling, so maybe they really like McGlynn.

Watched the Indy game again this AM and Livings is still not very good.

I's still curious what they'll do with Carson. He could report, write a fat check for the missed time and make SoP have to confront the situation. If I'm Carson and really want to turn the screws, I'll show up and make Brown move me. I wonder what the status is on the current salary cap, and if they could absorb having him walk back into the locker room.

I said the same thing about Davis, and somebody asked Reedy, and he said they are trying to get younger not older, so chances are they are not going after him. I guess they really liked McGlynn so i hope that means he is good enough to start.

Actully i think Livings other then the 1st preseason game has had his best games since. I have not seen him play as physical as he has, and Lap who usually kills Livings has been praising him for his blocks. So my guess is Livings will be starting, but i wonder if he shouldnt start at RT, and Boling or McGlynn start at LT?? Just a thought. Or even Collins starting at guard.

I just wonder if they are going to go back to playing musical Guards!

Probably not at RT. So far, Fat Andre may be the most improved player on the Offense. And this is coming from someone who thinks Fat Andre is one hangnail from being a bust of epic proportions.

I see McGlynn as the steady player to fill-in for Fat Bobbie while he sits for his anabolic error.

If they can find a way for Livings to even be close to average, then the line will be less of a concern than I thought, especially since they seem to have gotten over the false starts and formation problems, which were rooted in Brat's asinine offensive scheme.

Claimed off waivers:

WR Brandon Tate

C-G Mike McGlynn

TE Mickey Sculer

Cut:

Quan Cosby

Chase Coffman

Reggie Stephens

Say hello Jordan Shiply to punt returning.

Thought Tate was purely a Receiver

tate if you read his wiki page, was a punt and kick off returner. a damn good one at that. i think it's his job to lose or why else would they s**t can cosby.

tate if you read his wiki page, was a punt and kick off returner. a damn good one at that. i think it's his job to lose or why else would they s**t can cosby.

I agree it's Tate's job to lose, but IMHO Cosby would still be on the outside looking in even if the Bengals felt he was a marginally better returner thn Tate. I'm betting Tate is given an important role to play in the Bengals passing offense, something Cosby could never offer. In fact, when considered for the slot role that seems like the best fit Cosby would have been no better than the 3rd or 4th best option on the roster.

Still, we thank him for the fish....and the pudd'n.

Looks like Shuler failed his physical, and they will sign somebody else within the next 24-48 hours!

Jennings is still down with the hammy issue and dont think he will be playing this weekend, that only leaves 3 CB i would think they would have to pick somebody up for that position.

Maybe Chase will be back, who knows

Maybe Chase will be back, who knows

Still available: Dan Coats!

I was looking there are actully alot of decent vetren TE left out there that could help. I know Gruden likes his TE, so i wonder if they will pick up both a TE and CB, they really need CB depth/help!

JP Foschi is out there. So is Nate Lawrie...

No, seriously, there are some decent TE's, not the above. Schuler will probably do it. They need three and thats what they have.

TE Stephen Spach is a veteran and was released by the Cardinals. I wonder if there is a trade in the works if they would rather put Coffman on the practice squad than the 53 man roster. Carolina has a glut of TE's? J. Shockey G. Olsen B. Hartsock

One guy that I saw get cut caught my eye- DE George Selvie, some UC guys might remember him. Awesome pass rusher out of South Florida. At one point some analyst said he might be a late first or second rounder. Just something to think about.

Coffman's body reminds me of Pat McInally's, old Bengals punter who also played WR, also was very tall. Both players were top heavy because each had very long legs. That's probably good for a punter, but I think not for a TE. Defenders can push him on his butt too easily. I assume that the Bengals keep him around in hopes that he'll get strong/heavy enough to block, but I think that physics is against him. apparently the rest of the NFL agrees.

Per Reedy: Bengals brought back Rico Murray to the 53 man roster.

Makes sense they would do that. First off he already knows the defense, and secondly he is one of those guys that can play safety, Corner, and special teams.

Reedy also said that the Bengals released Lefevour and signed Zac Robinson. Robinson was highly regarded at the beginning of the college football season last year at Oklahoma St. He has great wheels and a pretty good arm.

Makes sense they would do that. First off he already knows the defense, and secondly he is one of those guys that can play safety, Corner, and special teams.

Good move. I was a bit surprised he didn't make the final 53 in the first place.

Makes since they would do that. First off he already knows the defense, and secondly he is one of those guys that can play safety, Corner, and special teams.

Good move. I was a bit surprised he didn't make the final 53 in the first place.

X2

I would have bet plenty that either Murray or Wade made the final cut....and my pick would have been Murray.

As for Zac Robinson, I have no real complaint other than pointing out how the player I really want for 3rd QB is currently available if the Bengals are willing to raid the Saints practice squad.

As for Zac Robinson, I have no real complaint other than pointing out how the player I really want for 3rd QB is currently available if the Bengals are willing to raid the Saints practice squad.

Why do you even want a 3rd QB on the roster? I'm fine with the 3rd QB stashed on the practice squad

Why do you even want a 3rd QB on the roster? I'm fine with the 3rd QB stashed on the practice squad

Think of the possibilities though, if he ever gets a chance to get in the game, the PA can blast the song "Hey Mrs. Robinson..." It can become a tradition like Sweet Caroline.

Why do you even want a 3rd QB on the roster?

Flip it. Why don't you want a 3rd QB on the roster?

Frankly, as much as I like the roster flexibility gained from not carrying a 3rd QB on the active roster that flexibility alone isn't enough to put an end to my desire for a more worthy "QB of the future" prospect than Dan LeFevour or Zac Robinson.

Frankly, as much as I like the roster flexibility gained from not carrying a 3rd QB on the active roster that flexibility alone isn't enough to put an end to my desire for a more worthy "QB of the future" prospect than Dan LeFevour or Zac Robinson.

Do you mean 'backup QB of the future'?

There's nobody they're likely to acquire at this point who will ever become the kind of QB that you want to see enter the game. Since 2011 seems to be destined for double-digit losses, I don't see the point in wasting a roster spot for anything other than guys who can help win in 2012 or beyond. Admittedly that does include a role, potentially, for a guy like Gradkowski. He can both mentor Dalton and potentially serve as his stunt double if the offensive line proves potentially fatal.

Why do you even want a 3rd QB on the roster?

I think one QB of the future is enough for any roster. Really do you want two QBs of the future out of three on a 53 man roster?

• Like 1

I think one QB of the future is enough for any roster. Really do you want two QBs of the future out of three on a 53 man roster?

Dalton's worth is questionable. It's OK to hedge your bets in that circumstance by carrying another young QB.

However, if Dalton looks bad this year, then the QB of the future is probably in college right now.