Preseason Week 1: Lions v. Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

there was some positives in that game.

once andy settled down he looked good. nice zip on his passes and at one point was 8/9 on his last drive.

the young w/r's have some very nice hands, simpson should have had a td, just barley missed getting the 2nd foot down. added with some nice downfield blocking the young guys looked good.

ced looked very good on the carries he did have quick and strong. leonard looked like he always does great effort and a tough runner.

the interior o-line struggled very bad, but to their credit no pre snap penalties.

defense rey looked good as did skuta, mcdonald had a good game.

Skuta is a high effort player but was out of position several times and needs another step to have any shot at starting.

Livings-Cook-Williams is a very, very, very poor interior line. Lutui will be starting at AZ and protecting Kolb, but he was too fat for the bengals... (by comparison, Williams and Smith must be considered in shape?) MJG could challenge Williams, since Fat Bobbie looks like he has ankle weights on. I don't know what to do about Livings. Maybe they could kick Collins inside? Maybe Hudson could get some first team snaps? Or Reggie Stephens? Whatever they do, they can't do much worse. And they MUST do something. Livings simply looks stupid, like he just can't pick up the defensive looks and just flounders. There qere at least 3 plays i saw when he didn't even find a body to block!!! Cook looks over his head on every play. It is just silly with all the cap room they have, they let a guy like Mathis walk, and then fail Lutui's physical and then bring in MJG. Someone is just sleeping on the watch.

Edit: just looking around and seeing former NYG C Shaun O'Hara is recovered from his ankle injury and is looking for a team.

My fear is that Dalton will get Carr'd, or Harrington'd. Bashed into a permanent state of indecisiveness.

It never fails to amaze me 1st pre season game after a lockout and your all calling for heads you all must be freaking nutz.

Dalton's INT was due to his arm getting hit as he threw after that he was ok 11-16 is ok yeah the yards were not there but thats due to other factors like THERE IS ANOTHER f**king TEAM OUT THERE ITS NOT PRACTICE so its going to be hard. They are called pre season for a reason to work out the kinks see what works and what doesnt and your have to remember the lions are a much much improved team and i can see them challenging for their div.

We all know this is gonna be a rebuilding year a lockout a new offence installed in weeks not months things are not going to work and we have to face that so lay the f**k off dalton and give the guy a chance 1 f**king game does not a bust make.

reserve your judgement till after the opener against the stains if its not improved by them i would say yeah its gonna be a long hard season.

rant over :P

sry replied to the wrong one

Edited by cincy9275

I've watched the first half to this point in time and can't believe how many different players have been in on the defensive side of the ball.

What does that equate to ?? Our starters didn't look great and if ANY of them are injured, the defense is f*cked.

These guys look like they are running in slow motion.

The whole first half could find Lions coaches on the sidelines laughing at what they were facing in the NFL team from Cincinnati.

Not good...

I've watched the first half to this point in time and can't believe how many different players have been in on the defensive side of the ball.

What does that equate to ?? Our starters didn't look great and if ANY of them are injured, the defense is f*cked.

The whole first half could find Lions coaches on the sidelines laughing at what they were facing in the NFL team from Cincinnati.

Not good...

Zimmer seems to be pretty optimistic, in saying that he wanted to rip heads off, but after watching the film, its all corectable. He said the main problem was the CB were playing off to far from the recievers. Also said he was happy with the rush defense which only let up 31 yards. So who knows what we will see this week hope it is 100% better then last week. Hope Zim can fix it.

Not good...

Zimmer seems to be pretty optimistic, in saying that he wanted to rip heads off, but after watching the film, its all corectable. He said the main problem was the CB were playing off to far from the recievers. Also said he was happy with the rush defense which only let up 31 yards. So who knows what we will see this week hope it is 100% better then last week. Hope Zim can fix it.

i like zimmer passion about his defense. then to read on the .com that our defense was making life rough on the offense today. it good to hear their not happy, now hopfully they can carry that in to the game.

He said the main problem was the CB were playing off to far from the recievers.

And that's a huge problem. And to think it is correctable just by pointing it out on film is fantasy. A CB plays off a receiver because they know if they press, the receiver will just run by him. We all see overmatched CBs give huge cushions.

Are players being out of shape and looking like they are running in quick sand correctable ??

Maybe Zimmer is a miracle man, but what I saw didn't look like something that could be corrected in a short amount of time.

You can be as optimistic as you want to be about thinking the turd sandwich you are about to take a bite out of will taste good, but regardless of what you tell yourself, it will always taste like sh*t.

Here's hoping the taste in our mouth clears a little bit...

And that's a huge problem. And to think it is correctable just by pointing it out on film is fantasy. A CB plays off a receiver because they know if they press, the receiver will just run by him. We all see overmatched CBs give huge cushions.

Zim seems to think its very correctable, and he knows more about defense then me. If you watch Hall was actully in postion both times, the problem was he was playing the ball not the man. He got turned around and lost control of where Johnson was on the field. Hey if Zim can fix these problems then ill be happy we will just have to wait and see.

The defense looked like sh*t all year last year. If it still looks like sh*t now, and it certainly did last Friday, I doubt that a few more weeks of running around in practice is going to fix things.

That said, there were a few bright spots. Rey looks good in the middle. Clinton McDonald wants a roster sport bad. Clements can apparently still play. Michael Johnson generated some pressure from the DE spot.

But overall? Yuck.

The defense looked like sh*t all year last year. If it still looks like sh*t now, and it certainly did last Friday, I doubt that a few more weeks of running around in practice is going to fix things.

That said, there were a few bright spots. Rey looks good in the middle. Clinton McDonald wants a roster sport bad. Clements can apparently still play. Michael Johnson generated some pressure from the DE spot.

But overall? Yuck.

Agreed. I don't see how the "gameplanning and fixing" solution helps defensive linemen who can't get off blocks on passing downs. I like Peko, but he's a good backup and that's about it. Not a starter.

Rey. That's about it from the last game as far as our starters go.

He was constantly making plays and appeared very active in disrupting plays.

Problem is, he was about the only one who didn't look like he was simply trying to move upfield. Michael Johnson seems to be about the same as last year, always right there, but just not close enough. Maybe this year he'll ge there. This team needs DT help badly because even though I like Peko and Atkins, I can't honestly say they are the big penetrating fat bodies Marvin has always looked for. No push.

In that regard, how did this team go from possibly looking DT a couple years ago in Dan Price, to taking Atkins and nothing additional ??

Well, thank God we have Tank Johnson right ??

The safety position is still a HUGE glaring hole. Crocker isn't anything near Young and they have very little after Reggie Nelson.

Robert Sands looked so stiff out there I wonder if he can actually bend at the waist at all.

Anyone else watch the Lions game and hope Adam Jones can make a quick recovery ??

I couldn't tell with Sands. He looked so lost and indecisive I never got a chance to see him actually play fast. By the time he would commit to a course of action, the play was on him, so I couldn't tell anything. My fingers are crossed, we need safeties bad. I love Crocker, but I'll be surprised if he can stay healthy all season. Safety is such a meat grinder position.

In that regard, how did this team go from possibly looking DT a couple years ago in Dan Price, to taking Atkins and nothing additional ??

Well, thank God we have Tank Johnson right ??

Wow, from my keyboard to God's ears.

Let me try this again:

Well, thank God we have Mike Brown right ??

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE !!!

For those who think Leon Hall sucks or he was a bust, then explain to me to how in 09 he was the corner that was shutting down everyones #1 reciever?? Oh and go look at Jjoe and tell me how many times he would get burnt by recievers, ill give you a hint it was alot. So quit busting on Leon Hall because he had a bad preseason game agaist Calvin Johnson. There is time to fix it, and he starts out slow every year.

I thought the Detroit announcers came pretty close to nailing what I've always felt was Leon Hall's biggest problem.

Specifically, despite being a very instinctive player, far too often Leon Hall gets caught up in defending the WR rather than the ball. Too often the end result is Hall being consistently beaten on play after play despite what appears to be tight coverage. Or if you prefer, too many examples of a wideout cracking and eating peanuts off of the top of Hall's helmet.

And you're absolutely right about Hall starting out slowly nearly every season, which IMHO is neither a reason to panic OR to relax. Because IMHO Hall started just as slowly last season, and never seemed to get straight until mid-season....when he started playing the ball more than the man.

Zim seems to think its very correctable, and he knows more about defense then me. If you watch Hall was actully in postion both times, the problem was he was playing the ball not the man. He got turned around and lost control of where Johnson was on the field. Hey if Zim can fix these problems then ill be happy we will just have to wait and see.

You and I seem to be in lockstep in regards to Hall. However, my faith in Zimmer was roughly shaken last season after watching him badly mismanage the playing time of his starters throughout a 5-game preseason. In short, instead of using the extra time to prepare I felt Zimmer repeatedly wasted an opportunity to get better by playing his starters less than he had the year prior. FWIW, Zimmer later admitted his failure, saying he was dead wrong to believe his defenders had earned a break, and loudly promised this preseason would be different.

So far, it hasn't been.

You and I seem to be in lockstep in regards to Hall. However, my faith in Zimmer was roughly shaken last season after watching him badly mismanage the playing time of his starters throughout a 5-game preseason. In short, instead of using the extra time to prepare I felt Zimmer repeatedly wasted an opportunity to get better by playing his starters less than he had the year prior. FWIW, Zimmer later admitted his failure, saying he was dead wrong to believe his defenders had earned a break, and loudly promised this preseason would be different.

So far, it hasn't been.

No doubt we have not seen anything good from this defense yet, in fact all of last season. However in the 09 season, a season where we had no idea what any of these guys on defense could do, guys that we thought were not starters had an incredible season. From what i could tell it was because they comunicated with each other on the field, they played as a team defense. They were physical, and they played very fast to the ball. They played there gaps like they were supposed too, the CBs played very aggresive not letting guys get a free pass, to run by them.

Last year it seemed like they forgot how to play team defense, there was no physical style of play at all, im sure alot of injuries were part of it, but it also proved that there are some young players who could be pretty good.

Its still early this year, i have no clue what to expect from this defense, but i feel like the LBs are much improved, faster and more physical bunch of guys. Even without Jjoe, i like Clemants, im still hoping that Adam Jones can come back soon, because after Clemants the CBs are really no good. Im hoping with a young defense line, they will play fast, aggresive, and very physical to get some kind of pressure on the QB. Biggest thing to me though and like Zim said these CBs need to play closer and be more physical against the WR, challenge them and dont give them a free run. I just hope Hall gets his act toghter here soon, because he is a huge part of it. So can Zim fix it, sure but i really think its up to the players to continue talking, and start playing team defense. Even the newcomer Manny Lawson said "we need to continue to talk" so seems like some players are in the right direction guess we will see.

A few last thoughts on each side of the ball, seeing as how I finally finished watching the game today.

With Tank Johnson being shown the door, they need to get McDonald on the field sooner in the game to see what they have. He had a solid game against Detroit, but i'm left wondering what he can do against first and second team guys. I'm pulling for the guy. Let Sims bring his broke ass along against the scrubs.

With the amount of suck at the Guard position, they ABSOLUTELY have to get Boling in sooner as well. I watched each play of the second half when he was in and he did MORE than his fair share of holding the point of attack, opening holes for the runners, and getting to the second level to continue blocking on EVERY play except one. In that one play, he simply looked like he didn't know what to do because the play went the other way and he was just out there.

If I had to pick one player right now that I think will help Dalton the most this season it's:

Jordan Shipley...

I couldn't tell with Sands. He looked so lost and indecisive I never got a chance to see him actually play fast. By the time he would commit to a course of action, the play was on him, so I couldn't tell anything. My fingers are crossed, we need safeties bad. I love Crocker, but I'll be surprised if he can stay healthy all season. Safety is such a meat grinder position.

Im actually a big fan of Sands and liked the pick. This guy has a ton of potential. The problem is the bengals need help now at safety and Im not sure hes going to be ready to be a regular contributor for a season or 2. Personally Id say look at him as kind of a Jerome Simpson at safety, though I dont think it takes him that long, I believe its that situation.