49ers sign Donte Whitner

w8th

Someone on the .com board had a point that the timing of the 49ers trade e-mail then the Whitner signing with the Bengals e-mail, then rescending to sign with the 49er's....may imply the Bengals have a deal in place to get Mays and that the Bengals withdrew their offer potentially. Doubtful.

However, let's see what happens.

Hobson on twitter is saying that Marvin has no idea whats happening and hes calling to find out??? Sound like even Marvin is confused whats going on, and that Whitner or his agent never told the Bengals he was coming. What the hell is this about!!!

"Dogs and cats living together!" It's pure chaos.

Even the nfl.com site hasn't reported a thing. There's something more to this. Should be interesting.

Someone on the .com board had a point that the timing of the 49ers trade e-mail then the Whitner signing with the Bengals e-mail, then rescending to sign with the 49er's....may imply the Bengals have a deal in place to get Mays and that the Bengals withdrew their offer potentially. Doubtful.

Well Mayes is the type of SS Zimmer likes Athletic,Physical and a big hitter,Could see it being real posability being bengals were ready to trade up for him a year ago and reasonable for 49ers wanting to get rid of him because he doesn't fit the new DC's system.

Guess he is a 49er, and to tell you the truth Whitner seems like a prick. He should have really kept his mouth shut about signing with the bengals instead of saying Who Dey, then turning around signing with another team. Next time wait till you sign a contract before you tweet anything.

Hobson says they are out of the saftey market, so i dont see them signing anyone, but who knows maybe they will go after Mays. Hobson says hes not a zimmer guy because Mays is more of a in the box saftey so who knows anymore.

Hobson is also a Idiot who said bengals wearn't close or that interested in Whitner,

Not a zimmer guy? More like not a Marvin Lewis guy who likes interchangable safety's... I don't see zimmer praising him last year or admiting they wanted to trade up for Mays if he wasn't a zimmer guy.

Whitner wrote on his twitter Who Dey!!!, then turns around and changes his mind LOL LOL. Seems like Whitner is a great guy LOL LOL. He agreed to join the bengals, then right at the end the 49ers came in and gave him another year and more money, guess Mike never got to try to give him more even if he wanted too. LOL wow what a joke

That's because that Douchebag cheapass Mike Brown wants to give everyone 1 or 2 year deals for cheap......Hire a F**king GM you pice of sh*t

F**K YOU MIKE BROWN

*****F**K YOU ____ Trademarked by ArmyBengal, all rights reserved*****

They're not that smart.

Whitner wrote on his twitter Who Dey!!!, then turns around and changes his mind LOL LOL. Seems like Whitner is a great guy LOL LOL. He agreed to join the bengals, then right at the end the 49ers came in and gave him another year and more money, guess Mike never got to try to give him more even if he wanted too. LOL wow what a joke

Works for me rather have Mayes :> "fingers crossed"

SF had Mays for a year and they want to trade him. Doesn't that make you question his skills in the slightest?

If the 'Niners don't want him, something has to be messed up with him.

Hobson on twitter is saying that Marvin has no idea whats happening and hes calling to find out??? Sound like even Marvin is confused whats going on, and that Whitner or his agent never told the Bengals he was coming. What the hell is this about!!!

The Bengals' don't do their homework, they are arrogant, they have terrible FO people, this kind of stuff only happens with the Bengals.

I rest my case.

Whitner may be an idiot, but he's a better safety than anyone on this roster, and that's all I care about.

Great job, once again, Cincinnati Bungals.

Seems like Whitner went back on his verbal commitment. Weak all around.

Unfortunately this is big boy ball and not high school recruiting. The Bengals' obviously didn't have a very strong relationship with him, and like most worthwhile FA's, it's all about the $ and nothing else when they come here (unlike, say, Philly or New England or Green Bay or Pitt). They took him for granted and didn't close him, they sputtered around for a week on this and likely were just giving him a lower offer than he wanted or would accept upfront. After all, it's the Safety position, and Mike Brown doesn't believe in paying safeties, ever, because he's an idiot.

I'm not so sure. There just aren't a ton of teams out there that run a defense that utilizes a safety that is primarily a run stopper. But that's all Roy Williams was... and Mike Zimmer said Roy was perfect for his scheme at a time when no one else wanted him.

Mays has off the charts measurables, so the 49ers were attracted to him. But he showed up and proved to still be a run stopping SS who doesn't cover all that well. And while I don't really covet a player like that... if Zimmer's says he fits, I believe him.

All that said... I don't see the Bengals making a trade offer.

Whitner is a bum being from ct and watching the games I can tell you he wud be worse than crocker, so we didnt miss much. I also have a friend who is a hardcore buffalo fan and he absolutety hates whitner. He makes tackles 10 yards down field and can't cover for s**t. I am def not upset with missing this signing...

[q

Not Really,Could be he doesn't suit their Scheme but I think in the AFC North where you have 3 teams who play hard nosed football a In the Box safety is what you want.

More so it seems like type Zimmer likes being 1.)Roy Williams has been our SS 2.)They were Interested in Mays in the draft

Mays has off the charts measurables, so the 49ers were attracted to him. But he showed up and proved to still be a run stopping SS who doesn't cover all that well. And while I don't really covet a player like that... if Zimmer's says he fits, I believe him.

Not only that but with his measurables maybe Coyle & Zimmer can get him better at Coverage because he does have the tools.

All that said... I don't see the Bengals making a trade offer.

Ya they'll probably wait for Waiver Wires and get beat >-< If they were willing trade up in 2nd round they should atleast be willing give up a 5th in next years draft ><

Reedy said he choose the 49ers for less money, but for a better oppurtunity. I wonder if the Bengals said he is not promised a starting job, and the 49ers gave him one right away?? Who knows but it sounds like the bengals had the better offer, Whitner just wanted something else i guess.

I would have supported the Whitner acquisition, but I don't really feel like the Bengals lost out on anything huge here.

I agree, to compare losing out on Sapp and even Rogers to Whitner is crazy. Whitner was sitting out there this long for a reason, he's not that good. Teams were not lined up for his services for just that, he's not good in coverage but is above average in tackling. Bengals are being aggresive this free agency period that's all I can ask for, do the best to improve this team without overpaying just to get a high profile name.

Whitner is yesterday's news. He would have been our shiny new toy. That shine would have worn off soon enough. He's been a pretty durable player, but is his game any different than that of Roy Williams? We already have 3 new starters to blend into the defense in short order. That's enough. Still, I would be quite pleased if the Bengals could finagle Taylor Mays from the 49ers. There must be some role in our defense that would mesh with his considerable ability. If there is a role in which Mays could be effective,I'm confident Zimmer is the guy to identify it.

Reedy said he choose the 49ers for less money, but for a better oppurtunity. I wonder if the Bengals said he is not promised a starting job, and the 49ers gave him one right away?? Who knows but it sounds like the bengals had the better offer, Whitner just wanted something else i guess.

Actually, Reedy says Whitner got a better offer from SF with more coin up-front.