It took a while, but I convinced myself we can make playoffs!

walzav29

Steelers gave up almost 500 yards and gained about 200 in their first preseason game.

CHiefs got 77 yards and were shut out.

SF couldnt move the ball at all.

Bengals had 18 players not play. A first year QB, a new offensive system, and 2 weeks practice. We knew we had a big hill to climb. So by all the chicken littles here. I would assume Steelers and Chiefs - bith playoff teams last year are going to have a worse season than us. Heck they are still running the same offensive systems AND have deep rosters.

Its kind of funny seeing people writing off the season due to practice games. Its like some of you put money on the game.

Yes, the Bengals looked like ass. But the point now is improvement. They have set a baseline - Now is when they start showing improvement.

It was the first preseason game, lets wait till the next couple weeks and see if they are going to improve. Im dont think playoffs this year, but i also dont think they are this bad either. I will give them some time to fix this, they are installing a new system its going to take time to learn.

Ok. That was gross. Other than Ced's carries there wasn't 1 positive thing. BUT they've been in camp 2 weeks. Andy Dalton has 2 weeks NFL experience, the O-line, 2 new LB's all have had 2 weeks. The Lions defensive line is great. We all know that preseason means nothing. Everyone talks about it because it's true. Remember the Lions 4-0 preseason 0-16 regular season. They have a long way to go.

It was the first preseason game, lets wait till the next couple weeks and see if they are going to improve. Im dont think playoffs this year, but i also dont think they are this bad either. I will give them some time to fix this, they are installing a new system its going to take time to learn.

There were a couple positives I saw last night. Green was everything I could want as a #1 pick at WR, and Benson looks to be rejuvenated. Everything else was meh.

The lions have been in the same system for 3 years, some players may come and go, but they have been running the same system.

The bengals new offense scheme, new QB, new WR, its going to take more then 2 weeks for things to come toghter. They need to upgrade, make changes to the o-line, and a couple more weeks of practice and they could be pretty good.

As far as the defense goes i have no clue what happened. I wont give up on them there are some pretty good players out there, and i think Zim can get them playing. They had a bunch of guys out, so lets see what happens in the next couple weeks with them.

They should really look at CB Kelvin Hayden, because that Bennett guy really sucked.

Steelers gave up almost 500 yards and gained about 200 in their first preseason game.

CHiefs got 77 yards and were shut out.

SF couldnt move the ball at all.

Bengals had 18 players not play. A first year QB, a new offensive system, and 2 weeks practice. We knew we had a big hill to climb. So by all the chicken littles here. I would assume Steelers and Chiefs - bith playoff teams last year are going to have a worse season than us. Heck they are still running the same offensive systems AND have deep rosters.

Its kind of funny seeing people writing off the season due to practice games. Its like some of you put money on the game.

Yes, the Bengals looked like ass. But the point now is improvement. They have set a baseline - Now is when they start showing improvement.

Couldn't have said it better.

Living SUCKS, though. We need an upgrade at Guard.

The lions have been in the same system for 3 years, some players may come and go, but they have been running the same system.

The bengals new offense scheme, new QB, new WR, its going to take more then 2 weeks for things to come toghter. They need to upgrade, make changes to the o-line, and a couple more weeks of practice and they could be pretty good.

As far as the defense goes i have no clue what happened. I wont give up on them there are some pretty good players out there, and i think Zim can get them playing. They had a bunch of guys out, so lets see what happens in the next couple weeks with them.

They should really look at CB Kelvin Hayden, because that Bennett guy really sucked.

Here's the problem with that... This O.Line minus piece of s**t Jean-Gilles has been a unit with the same useless O.L. coach in place for two decades, the defense has had the same scheme and system for going on 4 years now and both came out playing like s**t. Meanwhile the new WR's, new offensive system, new rook #2 RB and rookie QB show up and with two weeks practice in the system show potential.

You can't go "well yadda yadda excuse excuse" and blame it on that when the ones that played their best were the rookie and 2nd year players.

Here's the problem with that... This O.Line minus piece of s**t Jean-Gilles has been a unit with the same useless O.L. coach in place for two decades, the defense has had the same scheme and system for going on 4 years now and both came out playing like s**t. Meanwhile the new WR's, new offensive system, new rook #2 RB and rookie QB show up and with two weeks practice in the system show potential.

You can't go "well yadda yadda excuse excuse" and blame it on that when the ones that played their best were the rookie and 2nd year players.

How do you know Jean-Giles sucks, did you see him playing with he 1st string. From what i saw out there he looked pretty good, and had a pretty good mean streak to him. Oh and when he started in Philly he did a pretty good job of starting. So once again you cant call a guy who has been here for less then two weeks a piece of S**t when you really havnt seen him.

Actually if the defense can do it's job and not let the team get down by 2 TD's in the 1st quarter, the protection won't be as big of a deal. This team is built to run the ball.

But you can't run the ball down 14-0 six minutes into the first quarter and the defense is consistenly giving up scores.

I'm convinced that they have the talent. I think they will look alot better. 2 weeks is not very long. No one can disagree with that. Alot of work to do.

This, mostly.

Without Palmer this is a paper team. Or if you prefer, a team that has talent, but too often in areas that will difficult to exploit due to inexperience in crucial spots.

I'll be amazed if this team looks even remotely competent at seasons end, nevermind now....or a month from now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if our Bengals do make it to the playoffs, it will be a textbook case of the Ewing Theory in action.

The theory was created in the mid-'90s by Dave Cirilli, a friend of mine who was convinced that Patrick Ewing's teams (both at Georgetown and with New York) inexplicably played better when Ewing was either injured or missing extended stretches because of foul trouble.

Curious to see if this phenomenon applied to other stars/teams, Dave noticed people were pencilling in the '94-'95 UConn Huskies for a .500 season because "superstar" Donyell Marshall had departed for the NBA. Dave knew better; a lifelong UConn fan, he thought the Huskies relied too much on Marshall the previous season and could survive without him. Like Ali predicting the first Liston knockout, Dave told friends the Huskies would thrive in Marshall's absence -- and that's exactly what happened. By midseason, UConn was ranked No. 1 in the country for the first time in school history; the Ewing Theory had been hatched.

Dave introduced me to the Ewing Theory three years ago, and we've been tinkering with it like Voltaire and Thoreau ever since. Eventually, we decided that two crucial elements needed to be in place for any situation to qualify for "Ewing" status:

A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

When those elements collide, you have the Ewing Theory.

Well, if our Bengals do make it to the playoffs, it will be a textbook case of the Ewing Theory in action.

The theory was created in the mid-'90s by Dave Cirilli, a friend of mine who was convinced that Patrick Ewing's teams (both at Georgetown and with New York) inexplicably played better when Ewing was either injured or missing extended stretches because of foul trouble.

Curious to see if this phenomenon applied to other stars/teams, Dave noticed people were pencilling in the '94-'95 UConn Huskies for a .500 season because "superstar" Donyell Marshall had departed for the NBA. Dave knew better; a lifelong UConn fan, he thought the Huskies relied too much on Marshall the previous season and could survive without him. Like Ali predicting the first Liston knockout, Dave told friends the Huskies would thrive in Marshall's absence -- and that's exactly what happened. By midseason, UConn was ranked No. 1 in the country for the first time in school history; the Ewing Theory had been hatched.

Dave introduced me to the Ewing Theory three years ago, and we've been tinkering with it like Voltaire and Thoreau ever since. Eventually, we decided that two crucial elements needed to be in place for any situation to qualify for "Ewing" status:

A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

When those elements collide, you have the Ewing Theory.

Interesting. This theory could be proved true even if we go 5-11.

But yes, addition by subtraction.

I really hope that is true here.

Tonight Dalton's passer rating will be over 82. This will show that he is improving. The defense and running game will carry this team in the early going, and Dalton will make plays when needed. I believe that Gruden will start going further and further down the field as Dalton gets more comfortable.