It took a while, but I convinced myself we can make playoffs!

walzav29

No one finds it annoying that the negative rules of football only apply to the Bengals?

Cleveland - New coach

Denver - New coach

SF - New Coach

Buffalo - They beat us last year, and I know Fitzpatrick looked like Montana against us but he's still Fitzpatrick

Why won't that effect them? Oh yeah. We have Mike Brown, we're the Bungles, new QB, we're not allowed to win. Bull$&!*.

The Bengals can absolutelty win all 4. Now if they are 3-1 4-0 don't tell me they can't get a wildcard. Come on people!

Again Walter, I never mentioned ANY of that. IF we want to discuss those teams sure, you can point to all of their shortcomings as well.

Will it affect them ?? Of course it will and they will suffer through their season much like we will.

It doesn't have anything to do with not being allowed to win, it has everything to do with what we currently have on this roster in comparison to the teams we play within our division for me. We aren't better than the Steelers or the Ravens. Not close. You could make the case that we aren't any better than the Browns either. They did beat the hell out of us last year as well.

Look at our schedule. The easiest part of our schedule is up front, so if they are 3-1 there are still no guarantees they make the playoffs. NONE.

I have never used the term "Bungles" on this forum when talking about this team, but carry on if you think that is the mindset.

Again, i'm going to enjoy watching the games this season, but simply don't expect much.

The Bengals can absolutelty win all 4. Now if they are 3-1 4-0 don't tell me they can't get a wild card. Come on people!

Walter, why don't you wait until after watching a few preseason games to make such statements. At this point it's all speculation for every team in the league, and to be honest I feel there is no chance our Bengals will be 4-0 going into week 5. I believe our secondary defensive players are not up to the job, our LB's are iffy, we're weak as far as OL are concerned, and I'm not too sure about our aging RB Benson. Combine that with the fact we're bringing in a new starting QB (be it Gradkowski or Dalton) playing in a new system, the odds are heavily stacked against such a thing happening.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely.

I found this from Hobson. "As one long-time observer who should know said before Dalton's seventh NFL practice, he already understands the offense better than David Klingler and Akili Smith did the entire time they were here." http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dalton-offense-grind-away/4501f113-18a1-4b1c-8279-9024b5ad799d

I am beginning to grow cautiously optimistic. If anything this team may actually have some players that you can route for compared to last years team. Here is to hoping these guys can put it together. Hopefully this will be the foundation for something better.

I found this from Hobson. "As one long-time observer who should know said before Dalton's seventh NFL practice, he already understands the offense better than David Klingler and Akili Smith did the entire time they were here." http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dalton-offense-grind-away/4501f113-18a1-4b1c-8279-9024b5ad799d

I am beginning to grow cautiously optimistic. If anything this team may actually have some players that you can route for compared to last years team. Here is to hoping these guys can put it together. Hopefully this will be the foundation for something better.

That quote got me excited as well, then I quickly realized I probably knew the offense better than Smith and Klingler.

It is a good sign that he is grasping it though.

I need to see more, bring on the preseason games. Starters should be getting a decent amount of reps since the are in need of reps.

Red Dragon is no joke people. The quicker you understand that the better. This statement here Billy "Walter, why don't you wait until after watching a few preseason games to make such statements." is a great point. No one waits for a preseason game to say how much we'll suck. I'm saying it's an easy story for people to make about the Bengals being horrible. They won't be. We're all Bengal fans right? Why not be optimistic until Oct?

I'm excited for this season really, this season is going to position us into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes and prime us for a serious Superbowl run by 2013. Although we will probably have stiff competition for #1 overall from Buffalo and Carolina, hopefully they pull out a few more wins than us.

I think the only position this season will put us in is the one looking for the second best QB in the draft regardless of name.

There will be other teams that finish worse than us. NO, that doesn't mean we are going to the playoffs.

It just means 4-12 or 6-10 won't net us Luck or whomever turns out to be the #1 prospect.

I'm excited for this season really, this season is going to position us into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes and prime us for a serious Superbowl run by 2013. Although we will probably have stiff competition for #1 overall from Buffalo and Carolina, hopefully they pull out a few more wins than us.

Bengals wouldnt pick Luck they seem to really love Dalton, and he sounds like hes their guy.

Bengals wouldnt pick Luck they seem to really love Dalton, and he sounds like hes their guy.

Maybe some team will offer Mikey their entire draft. Maybe this time he'll actually take it.

I would not count on getting a teams entire draft. Maybe a 2nd and 5th, but not an entire draft.

If Mike Brown passes on Luck to keep rolling with Ginger Bread Man he is a bigger idiot than I could ever possibly envision.

If Mike Brown passes on Luck to keep rolling with Ginger Bread Man he is a bigger idiot than I could ever possibly envision.

Well guess what he is going to be the bigger idiot then you thought, because they are not going to draft Luck. Im telling you yesterday Marvin lewis said they are building this team around Dalton, and Green, that sounds to me like Dalton is there no matter what happens this year, and will continue to get guys to fit with them.

Paul Brown was always looking for QBs. He threw away the number 3 overall on Jack Thompson when Kenny Anderson was still fairly young.

Mikey's nothing if not Paul's son. if in a position, he'd draft Luck IMO

Schedule's so soft that even with a confused rookie QB the Bengals will earn 4-5 wins, IMO, which means no Luck. I don't think that we'd go for another USC QB but the Oklahoma QB certainly bears watching.

I'm not going to say that Luck won't be the #1 pick, but it's not guaranteed. He has had a great coach his entire college career. Perhaps Harbaugh has made him look a little better than he is. He's a one-read QB, and I would not be surprised at all to see Barkley pass him in the mock drafts by the time the combine comes around.

In other words, there is an entire year that needs to pass before we dub Luck the #1 pick... let alone the 2nd coming of John Elway. So, please... everyone, get off the ledge.

I'm not going to say that Luck won't be the #1 pick, but it's not guaranteed. He has had a great coach his entire college career. Perhaps Harbaugh has made him look a little better than he is. He's a one-read QB, and I would not be surprised at all to see Barkley pass him in the mock drafts by the time the combine comes around.

In other words, there is an entire year that needs to pass before we dub Luck the #1 pick... let alone the 2nd coming of John Elway. So, please... everyone, get off the ledge.

EXACTLY !!!

I made the same comment in another thread about not knowing who will actually be the #1 rated QB come draft time next year.

It's not to say it won't be Luck, but then again you have guys like Barkley and the kid from Oklahoma that might have something to say about it.

Had Pryor not been such a dumbass, he might have had a go at it as well. Anyway around, it should be a nice draft class for QB.

So if you had to bet your next years salary on the Bengals finishing 10-6 or 6-10, which would you choose ??

That's a different question than I think walzav and I were getting at. I would choose 6-10.

My point is that I don't think it's fair to say marvin is an awful coach, we'll go 4-12 like we always do etc etc. Is it GREAT to win the division twice in eight years? No, it's not great. It's not awful, either, though. I don't even think it's fair to say Mike only wants to keep his lumina tuned up and won't spend any money. Sure seems like he's been dropping coin on guys for several years now. Perhaps he makes DUMB decisions and is incompetent, but I'm tired of the "marvin sux lolz and mikey boy just wants to line his pockets!" routine.

Agreed, but with mixed feelings.

My mostly positive opinion of Marvin Lewis haven't changed very much. I agree he's a good head coach. But I also felt he should have been fired last season after the game against Tampa Bay, and failing that at seaons end. Because for me it was no longer a question of overall competence, but rather....if the person in question was still the right choice to oversee this teams latest rebuilding project.

In short, I found myself asking the same questions about Lewis as I once asked about Bratkowski. Is he still the guy you want in charge of laying the foundation for what follows? Is he still the guy you want selecting the building blocks? But perhaps most important in this example....is Lewis still capable of changing this teams culture of losing? Or has he become a part of it?

IMHO Brown made his choice precisely because Marvin Lewis has proven himself capable of rebuilding this team despite the limitations placed upon him by the way the Bengals do business. So in that sense Lewis is as proven as proven can be. What has yet to be determined though is if enough players on the Bengals roster still believe Lewis is capable of working a few so-called miracles.

detroits 1st team outplayed us. their 2nd team outplayed ours. their third and 4th did too. if they had more players they would hae outplayed us too. at least we have pressley though he's pretty good.

man i'm stoked best season ever.

man that came out wrongl. i am really optmisistic bout this season we all looked great especially andre smith and marvin lewis.