It took a while, but I convinced myself we can make playoffs!

walzav29

Being a Bengals fan, I hope they suck balls this year. Matter of fact, I hope they go 0-16. Maybe then Mike Brown will realize (or others will make him realize) that he needs to hire a REAL NFL GM.

Just look at the Eagles for example. Their Team President (Joe Banner) and GM (Howie Roseman) have done a remarkable job this offseason assembling talent through trade and Free-Agent Signings.

Guess what else? Neither one of them is the Owner of the Eagles......See Mikey, you can hire others to do those jobs.....Yet Mike Brown holds both Titles (President & GM) and does jack squat. Do what's right for the team you F**kknuckle and hire some REAL football guys to run things.

How many more years of proof do you need to come to the conclusion that you are a complete Moron when it comes to Football?

Just because he buys all these free agents dosnt mean that team is going to be great. Hell the redskins used to buy every free agent out there and never got very far. The free agents better gel, or they wont make it very far. So yea the eagles look awsome on paper, but if they cant play as a team i dont see how it would work out.

Uh,,,,,,,,,,Let me get something straight. You're basically taking the point that just because they sign all these players, doesn't mean they are going to be great?

It may not, but IT SURE AS HELL MAKES THEM MORE COMPETETIVE.

So you don't like signing free-agents because of the Redskins? That's like saying "I don't like the draft because of all the crappy 90's Bengal drafts" You CANT just use the Worst example ever and base everything on that. You must LOVE you some Mike Brown, because you have the same philosophy.

The Eagles were a division winning 10-6 team who lost to the eventual Champs (Green Bay) in the Playoffs. Their Team President and their GM MADE MOVES to strengthen that team and challenge for the Championship. They not only signed players to strengthen weaknesses, but traded their backup QB (Kolb) for a STARTING CB (Rogers-Cromartie), then signed a new Backup QB (Vince Young) who could still start for many teams around the league.

The Eagles not only have great starters on paper, but backups as well. I mean, they have 3 top CB's Asante Samuel, Asomugha, and Rogers-Cromartie, and if something were to happen BOTH Vick and LeSean McCoy, their backups of Vince Young and Ronnie Brown are DEFINITELY Starter quality and probably better than the Bengals current starters.

Anyways, I'm not trying to compare these 2 teams, because obviously you can't as you have knowledgable football guys in the President and GM in Philly, and the Bengals have Mike Brown filling both spots.

That's why a team like Philly isn't happy with a Division Championship and looks to improve while the Bengals don't do sh*t when they go 4-12.......

I never once said i Love Mike Brown, or think that he is a great owner or great GM i think everyone knows thats not true. All i was saying was that you cant buy yourself a championship, you buy great players spend all this money and the new players dont gel they wont make it very far. Thats all im saying, im not praising anything Brown has done so far, this team is a mess and it always will be when it comes to free agency, but not much we can do.

My main concern was the rookie QB. If you think about it. Sanchez in 09, Flacco and Ryan in 08, Ben in 04. The point is that it has happend alot recently. It has been forgotten how good a coach Marvin is, because Chad took the team off track. This team has young talent that will be alot better this year. Rey, Peko, Atkins, Dunlap, Hall are all very talented guys. The offense will be improved because of the O-line and the skill positions. The schedule is very favorable. We have ZERO outside expectations, and despite what the universe says they are just 1 season removed from winning the division.

Dude, it's not going to happen, the Bengals' are a minor league team, period.

Someone's got a case of the training cramps. ;)

Also when looking at guys like Flacco, Sanchez, and Big Ben you simply can't overlook the fact their teams "consistently" sport a top 5 defense.

What is the 2011 Bengals defense going to look like ?? You can't call it at this point.

Zimmer could get the bunch of non-superstars to overachieve or the large number of new guys could fall flat.

Falling flat isn't going to benefit whichever QB they want to put under center.

I used Atlanta as an example as well. I know as Bengal fans we have been beaten down. We are never allowed to be good because they are the Bengals, but why is the 4-12 season the norm and not the 10-6 season? Marv has been here since 2003.

8-8

8-8

11-5

8-8

7-9

4-11-1

10-6

4-12

The norm is not 4-12. The team is young and talented. Zimmer has done a good job. Get over the abused spouse syndrome. It's OK to think we're going to be good. It's ok to think Marvin is good.

I used Atlanta as an example as well. I know as Bengal fans we have been beaten down. We are never allowed to be good because they are the Bengals, but why is the 4-12 season the norm and not the 10-6 season? Marv has been here since 2003.

8-8

8-8

11-5

8-8

7-9

4-11-1

10-6

4-12

The norm is not 4-12. The team is young and talented. Zimmer has done a good job. Get over the abused spouse syndrome. It's OK to think we're going to be good. It's ok to think Marvin is good.

Excellent point. I noticed, too, that pre '05 announcers would say, "the bengals haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years!" or something like that. Now they say we haven't WON a playoff game etc. I remember a sportscaster last season say, "the bengals have only made two playoff appearances in the last 5 years." I don't want to excuse some of the dumb stuff our organization does . . . but I also don't think it's fair to say that, under Marvin, we're a 4-12 team.

8-8

8-8

11-5

8-8

7-9

4-11-1

10-6

4-12

Excellent point. I noticed, too, that pre '05 announcers would say, "the bengals haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years!" or something like that. Now they say we haven't WON a playoff game etc. I remember a sportscaster last season say, "the bengals have only made two playoff appearances in the last 5 years." I don't want to excuse some of the dumb stuff our organization does . . . but I also don't think it's fair to say that, under Marvin, we're a 4-12 team.

Exactly. None of us know this to be true, but I don't think signing T.O. was Marv's idea. They implied in order for Marvin to come back he would need more say in personel matters. They traded Chad. I believe it's related. If it is the case. We have to give Marv a shot where he gets to decide who he wants on his team.

So if you had to bet your next years salary on the Bengals finishing 10-6 or 6-10, which would you choose ??

That's a different question than I think walzav and I were getting at. I would choose 6-10.

My point is that I don't think it's fair to say marvin is an awful coach, we'll go 4-12 like we always do etc etc. Is it GREAT to win the division twice in eight years? No, it's not great. It's not awful, either, though. I don't even think it's fair to say Mike only wants to keep his lumina tuned up and won't spend any money. Sure seems like he's been dropping coin on guys for several years now. Perhaps he makes DUMB decisions and is incompetent, but I'm tired of the "marvin sux lolz and mikey boy just wants to line his pockets!" routine.

So 6-10 wouldn't surprise me this year . . . but neither would 10-6. 4-12? That would surprise me.

As far as I'm concerned with Mike Brown as an owner Marvin Lewis is Vince Lombardi. The season was over by October before Marvin got there. Not 1 playoff game, not 1 division title. Really think about that. From 1991 to 2002. The best record they had at the end of October was 4-3 in 2001. With a Hall of Fame coordinator as the coach. LeBeau took them to 6-10. Lewis is a miracle worker, and what changes have been made is because of Marvin Lewis moving mountains. Dealing with the Browns is not easy. We watched Hard Knocks. He finally got to get rid of Chad. Watch this guy coach this year. It's going to be great!

In this particular thread, I could care less what people say about Marvin Lewis or Mike Brown.

Look at this team and if you think they are going to finish 10-6 heading into camp, I think you either don't know much about football or have the ability to see into the future. My point in asking the "bet" question is, if you say you would bet they would finish 6-10 if you had to make that bet, then there's not much point in saying you think they are going to make the playoffs. That doesn't mean they couldn't surprise the sh*t out of everyone, but barring that surprise, you wouldn't bet on it.

Marvin Lewis ?? Mike Brown ?? That's for another thread.

I bet 50 bucks that they'll have a better record than Detroit. 10-6 is tough, but they'll win more than 6. The line is 7.5. I'd bet they win more than that.

I'd take that in a second. Detroit is better at probably every major area, including O-line, D-line, QB, and Receiver for sure. Credible case can be made for secondary, since Leon Hall is basically by himself Maybe we get RB if Ced comes back motivated, in shape, and not old. Might give you LB as well. Detroit certainly takes leadership and intangiables as an organization.

I think 6 wins is optimistic. Better chance if they play Grunk over Dalton.

This is not the year to have turnover, they have a new OC, 36 new players on the 90 man roster, new QB, new just about everything.

Is it possible they shock the world and go 10-6 and sneak into the playoffs, yes....it is not bloody likely but possible. Is it possible they struggle mightily and get blown out of games against anyone with a multiple defense, yes, particularly with a rookie qb. So 2-14 or 3-13 is a very real possibility.

But you know what? I doesn't matter to me! I LIKE this team more than the last 3 Bengals teams, that is not to say that I think they are a better team, heck I thought this time last year that the Bengals were heading to the freaking Superbowl! But though I thought they had talent, that didn't mean I liked the make-up of the team. I certainly didn't like the attitude and I didn't like the prima-donna bullsh!t. These guys shut up and play football, they appear to be humble and hard working which is something I can respect. I don't respect quitters and whores and we had a fair few of them last year.

So...3-13 or 11-5 I will root harder for this team and feel better about it and after all for those of us who are not players isn't that what fandom is about?

This is not the year to have turnover, they have a new OC, 36 new players on the 90 man roster, new QB, new just about everything.

Is it possible they shock the world and go 10-6 and sneak into the playoffs, yes....it is not bloody likely but possible. Is it possible they struggle mightily and get blown out of games against anyone with a multiple defense, yes, particularly with a rookie qb. So 2-14 or 3-13 is a very real possibility.

But you know what? I doesn't matter to me! I LIKE this team more than the last 3 Bengals teams, that is not to say that I think they are a better team, heck I thought this time last year that the Bengals were heading to the freaking Superbowl! But though I thought they had talent, that didn't mean I liked the make-up of the team. I certainly didn't like the attitude and I didn't like the prima-donna bullsh!t. These guys shut up and play football, they appear to be humble and hard working which is something I can respect. I don't respect quitters and whores and we had a fair few of them last year.

So...3-13 or 11-5 I will root harder for this team and feel better about it and after all for those of us who are not players isn't that what fandom is about?

Cant agree more, im more excited about this team then i have in awhile. I think mostly because they are starting fresh, with players that want to be there, and who want to learn, and play hard for the bengals. They might not be the superstars, or have a better team then other years, but i do like where they are going.

See, now the thread just took another twist.

I wouldn't bet sh*t on this team making the playoffs for anything, but i'm a hell of a lot more excited about this team moving forward than I would have been if Brat, Chad, Palmer, and the rest of the f*ckrags were still here. So yeah, i'm expecting bad things and not really caring because I like the direction.

The optimism is spreading! I love it!

If you want to call 6-10 optimism, then knock yourself out.

This season isn't about what their record is for me, it's about development of the youngsters and watching something new.

Even if it's not that good.

Playoffs ?? Playoffs ?? You want to talk about playoffs ??

No one finds it annoying that the negative rules of football only apply to the Bengals?

Cleveland - New coach

Denver - New coach

SF - New Coach

Buffalo - They beat us last year, and I know Fitzpatrick looked like Montana against us but he's still Fitzpatrick

Why won't that effect them? Oh yeah. We have Mike Brown, we're the Bungles, new QB, we're not allowed to win. Bull$&!*.

The Bengals can absolutelty win all 4. Now if they are 3-1 4-0 don't tell me they can't get a wildcard. Come on people!