Bad feeling about this upcoming season

Dan2330

This i think is great news, baltimores only exp veteran receiver is boldin, Mason left for the Jets
/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/06/derrick-mason-is-headed-to-the-jets/

they have torrey smith, doss, pita, dickson, boldin. Flacco loved heap and mason especially, I def see them being a worse team now, maybe dalton can pull one out.

I doubt Dalton will be behind center when the Bengals first face the Ravens this year. I think he'll be holding a clipboard on the sidelines watching Gradkowski taking the snaps.

I think we can safely change the title of this thread to "I've got a GOOD feeling about this season"

Green, Simpson, Caldwell, Ship, Gresh

Benson and Scott

Defense that might just be a sleeper. Adding Lawson and Howard will pay dividends. Clemens. It will be very interesting to see how pacman comes back.

Dunlap...

I am feeling there is some very solid upside to this season. As long as Dalton does not pull a David Carr on us, I think we will be pretty good.

I doubt Dalton will be behind center when the Bengals first face the Ravens this year. I think he'll be holding a clipboard on the sidelines watching Gradkowski taking the snaps.

Don't hold your breath on that one,it's almost a foregone conclusion that Dalton will be starting from game one. I'm looking forward to see what he can do, he has some good weapons to work with and grow with. Hopefully that offensive line will give him time.

Don't hold your breath on that one,it's almost a foregone conclusion that Dalton will be starting from game one. I'm looking forward to see what he can do, he has some good weapons to work with and grow with. Hopefully that offensive line will give him time.

Damn, you may be absolutely right! Dalton and Green seem to be working well together.

Damn, you may be absolutely right! Dalton and Green seem to be working well together.

Yep i think we might be suprised with Dalton this year. Whats great so far is the fact that he is taking leadership, and when he starts off having a bad day, he bouces back hitting 5 of 6 on his next passes. I know its just practice, and its only been 7 of them, but just hearing Gruden talk about him gives me some kind of hope for the future. Im hoping more then anything that he starts and ends the year, by improving game after game.

One item not being bandied about much is the fact that Bratpasski is no longer the O-coordinator. Sure, Jay Gruden is mentioned alot in reference to Dalton but this offense will be far superior, if only for the removal of Brat from the equation.

One item not being bandied about much is the fact that Bratpasski is no longer the O-coordinator. Sure, Jay Gruden is mentioned alot in reference to Dalton but this offense will be far superior, if only for the removal of Brat from the equation.

I won't argue that too much at this point. Bratkowski was probably the most predictable OC in the league.

Yeah, I made comment about Brat being gone just the other day and got not response.

I think that is an underestimated thought and another reason i'm looking forward to watching this season unfold.

No doubt that if nothing else we're seeing something different, and Chad is gone, despite the other things that worry me, I like Dalton, have no idea at all how Gruden will do, paired with the loser Alexander, or if he'll take over that crap. Benson is an upper tier back and Gresham/Shipley are the real deal.

If the 0-line plays well, and the DB's and LB's improve, hard to say, they may be respectable this year, I'll give them that. It's the long term thing that still bothers me here, I don't feel confident that Marvin has wrestled some of the necessary control from Brown to change things over time. Alexander and his crappy 0-line are the #1 reason to be worried about the offense again.

Allow me to say this on the recent QB debates on here. One--don't want Palmer back under any circumstances. Two--went to training camp last week, saw Gradkowski throw. Anything over 25 yards fluttered and had the hang time of a punt. If Dalton is as intelligent and progressing as well as they say he is, put him in. He looked sharp in practice. He has at least one great receiver it appears in Green and a serviceable running back. And he wouldn't be the first rookie QB to get thrown into a lousy situation and get killed for a season or two (see HOFers Bradshaw, Aikman, Elway).

So...go Dalton!!!

And he wouldn't be the first rookie QB to get thrown into a lousy situation and get killed for a season or two (see HOFers Bradshaw, Aikman, Elway).

I agree with you. My thought is that if you aren't mentally tough enough to bounce back from a beating your rookie year, you probably aren't truly NFL QB material.

But the other side of the argument would say that Dalton wouldn't be the first rookie QB to be "ruined" by a bad situation (see David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington).

I don't personally think any of those guys would have been stars, even if they had played on good teams... but no one will ever know what David Carr might have been had he gotten the Aaron Rogers treatment.

The relatively good news with Dalton is that even if he flops, it wasn't the #1 overall pick, so it won't take 5 years to recover from a mistake.

And he wouldn't be the first rookie QB to get thrown into a lousy situation and get killed for a season or two (see HOFers Bradshaw, Aikman, Elway).

I agree with you. My thought is that if you aren't mentally tough enough to bounce back from a beating your rookie year, you probably aren't truly NFL QB material.

But the other side of the argument would say that Dalton wouldn't be the first rookie QB to be "ruined" by a bad situation (see David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington).

I don't personally think any of those guys would have been stars, even if they had played on good teams... but no one will ever know what David Carr might have been had he gotten the Aaron Rogers treatment.

The relatively good news with Dalton is that even if he flops, it wasn't the #1 overall pick, so it won't take 5 years to recover from a mistake.

Exactly.

And I don't see a Carr or Couch situation. Both of those guys could have had held a clip board for a couple of years, but it wouldn't have helped, and not necessarily because they sucked. Both were behind horrible O lines and set records for sacks taken. Harrington did just suck.

Anyway, I don't see Dalton getting AS killed as Carr did. Our line ain't great, but it isn't as bad as that Texans line was.

1st preseason depth chart stuff from reedy. He says he'll put the whole thing on the enquirer blog soon.

joereedy Joe Reedy

Simpson and Green listed as the starters at WR. At 2nd string, Cosby is behind Simpson and Caldwell behind Green #bengals

13 minutes ago

Joe Reedy

joereedy Joe Reedy

Andre Smith listed first string at RT; Thomas Howard ahead of Brandon Johnson at WLB #bengals

17 minutes ago

Joe Reedy

joereedy Joe Reedy

Dalton listed first string on #bengals first depth chart of year

18 minutes ago

I think i saw Livings still starting thats alittle disapointing, unless he all of a sudden became a great guard???

So i take it that Shipley is the 3rd reciever to play the slot didnt see anything on him either. Im still hoping Wallen makes it i have liked what ive seen of him in practice so far so i hope he sticks.

Various depth chart notes from hobson:

Jean-Gilles and hudson backup guards

Bscott listed as top KR Cosby PR

Caldwell and Cosby backup wrs

Miles and Tom Nelson backup safeties

Trent and bennett backup CBS

Skuta backing up Rey at mob. Moch backing up Dawson at sam

Chris Presley no. 1 FB ahead of fui

Andre smith lines up at no. 1 rt

Depth chart has dalton no. 1 QB

Various depth chart notes from hobson:

Jean-Gilles and hudson backup guards

Bscott listed as top KR Cosby PR

Caldwell and Cosby backup wrs

Miles and Tom Nelson backup safeties

Trent and bennett backup CBS

Skuta backing up Rey at mob. Moch backing up Dawson at sam

Chris Presley no. 1 FB ahead of fui

Andre smith lines up at no. 1 rt

Depth chart has dalton no. 1 QB

/>http://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart.html

Shipley... has the best hands on the team.

2nd best, now that #18 is on the team.

True, but i love watching Shipley catch passes its so smooth. AJ will have the best hands on the outside, and Shipley with the best hands in the slot, and for 3rd down catches.

Im really excited about this young WR core, it really gives Dalton some good targets.

Shipley... has the best hands on the team.

2nd best, now that #18 is on the team.

True, but i love watching Shipley catch passes its so smooth. AJ will have the best hands on the outside, and Shipley with the best hands in the slot, and for 3rd down catches.

Im really excited about this young WR core, it really gives Dalton some good targets.

Yeah. It's nice to know that between Green, Shipley, Simpson and Gresham... Dalton will have plenty of sure handed receivers to help him out.

Now... if Simpson and Caldwell can hold on to the ball once they catch it. They both have suspect ball security.