Chad Ochocinco's Big Adventure

I tend to agree with you guys. I never liked Bruschi, either.

However, I was listening to local sports talk radio this morning and their theory was that Teddy boy is still pretty plugged into what's going on inside the Pats locker room, and that he was really voicing the opinion of some other big players that couldn't afford to come out and say it themselves. That may be a complete load of crap, but it's not completely beyond the realm of possibility, either.

Regardless, the idea of Chad not grasping the playbook and still just not getting "it" is starting to circulate...if you're hearing about it on Nashville sports radio, then I'd venture to guess that it's getting around.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it really does depict the difference in professionalism between the Patriots and the Bengals. The Bengals powers that be would allow Chad's distractions to take place and let his unprofessional attitude poison others, while the Patriots spew professionalism from top to bottom. They can handle success whereas the Bengals under Marvin haven't been able to, and seem to self destruct under the slightest problems. Hopefully those things are changing with Chad gone.

I think you guys are selling Gresham short here.

1) He led all rookie TEs in receptions.

2) He was 3rd among rookie TEs in yards, and was less than 100 yards from the #1 spot.

3) He played for the Bengals where Palmer never really favored throwing to TEs (probably because he never had any to throw to) and where he had to share receptions with the likes of Chad and T.O.

The one area you can dock Gresham in is touchdowns, but that's hardly a fair comparison. In New England, the TEs are basically used like WRs and Brady LOVES throwing to them, especially in the endzone. Not to mention the fact that they don't have any big name "give me the ball every play" receivers to contend with for receptions.

If you put Gresham on the Patriots roster, I expect that he'd outperform both Gronkowski and Hernandez. Of course, that's just speculation, which is what all of this really is anyway. I just don't think it's fair to put Gronkowski ahead of Gresham just yet. The comparison is made all that much harder this year considering the Patriots TEs are catching balls from Tom Brady, while Gresham is catching them from a rookie, regardless of how much promise said rookie may be showing up to this point.

As for blocking, who knows. All we really know on that front is their reputations coming out of college. I doubt any of us has sat down to watch the tape to know what each of them has done at the professional level.

Hernandez was a beast at Miami, he came out early and was only selected in the 4th round, which was a steal. Hernandez had some off the field issues, but I think if he had stayed in school a year longer he would have been a first round pick. His drawback is, he isn't a great blocker either. It is very hard to find a TE that can block like an extra tackle and catch passes like a WR. If you do find a guy like that (Mark Bavarro) you better snatch him up quickly! An all around TE like that can be a huge difference maker on a team.

Hernandez went to Florida.

Still laughing over it. Bruschi is right. And its weird watching the national media trip all over themselves to defend Chad and say Bruschi is over-reacting. But I guess the national media is so wedded to the Bengals-are-s**t narrative that the thought that they rightfully jettisoned a selfish, slowing, imprecise, me-first WR is too hard to grasp.

18 plays out of 80. 18. That's all Chad was on the field. With one catch and one penalty. The penalty negating a 40-yard Gronkowski reception. So, Chad was a net -26 for the Pats in the 22% of the offensive plays they bothered to let him on the field.

So, yeah, Bruschi is probably tipping people off to what is being said in that lockerroom. And speaks the truth. If you are a part of it, if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, there is nothing awe-inspring about it. There is just, to borrow Marvin's phrase, "doing your job". Which, frankly, is a concept that Chad never got here either.

I think Bay's right, Bruschi was just waiting for any excuse to go off on Chad.

I think the locker room sentiment is probably reflected in Bruschi's rant. Basically Chad, quit being a self styled reporter, providing insight into the Patriots and your own immature psyche, and start playing football. In New England that probably means talk to your teammates and only your teammates about football, unless it's basic coach-speak bulls**t that means nothing.

I can see Chad getting cut. He's taking up a roster spot right now as a depth receiver who doesn't get the offense, costs the team with penalties when he's on the field, and worst of all, doesn't block well or play special teams. Depth guys need to contribute on special teams and do whatever is needed to win. Chad's an over the hill diva who's main goal is to build his brand and cement his place as a D list celebrity.

Bruschi's a tool. Chad wasn't brought in so he could learn the Pats system or even help the team win.

He was brought in to feed Billy B's ego, that's all. Billy won with Dillon! Billy won with Moss! Billy won with Chad! Billy is the greatest HC of the NFL EVAH!!!

I'll give Tedy this much: he's laid good groundwork for Billy. Now when in some garbage game half the season from now Chad gets 100 yards, the story will be all about how Billy resurrected Chad's career. Was that the plan? Maybe. But Bruschi's still a tool.

Merged, merged, merged and merged. :lol:

Damnit.

When threads are merged there's always a risk the event timeline will become corrupted.

For example, a remarkably handsome poster who joked in one thread about how this might be the time to post a Teddy Bruschi rant may now be confronted with a merged thread where his post appears AFTER others from other threads, including several that had already noted the article. So now, after merging, the remarkably handsome poster's remarks may appear to be confused and poorly timed.

Reputations can be harmed in this way.

Happily, I ruined my own reputation years ago, and now take comfort in the knowledge that most messageboard posters have memories very much like a common goldfish, and can't remember anything that happened the day before.

So I've got that going for me.

I just thought I'd point and laugh before I go to bed tonight.

One of Brady's four picks was at Chad, when he allowed a defender to undercut him. He later dropped a touchdown when the Pats were driving to tie it in the 4th quarter.

/>http://www.necn.com/09/25/11/Ochocinco-woes-mount-and-wideout-goes-mu/landing_sports.html?blockID=567270&feedID=3352

I think the "Chad gets cut" watch has officially started in NE.

In the end I think we came out ahead in the deal. In essence we got Brandon Tate plus the draft pick in exchange for Chad.

Here's PFT's take. My own take? Chad dropping TD passes and causing picks couldn't happen to a nicer team or a nicer QB.

In the end I think we came out ahead in the deal. In essence we got Brandon Tate plus the draft pick in exchange for Chad.

Brandon Tate sucks giant donkey nads. I never, ever thought I would say "I miss Quan Cosby," but I miss Quan Cosby.

Here's PFT's take. My own take? Chad dropping TD passes and causing picks couldn't happen to a nicer team or a nicer QB.

Brandon Tate sucks giant donkey nads. I never, ever thought I would say "I miss Quan Cosby," but I miss Quan Cosby.

I am not over impressed with him as a punt returner but it will be worth it if he can flip field position or break a few on KR's or punts. I do have confidence that it will happen and he will be a productive player. I did like Cosby but I guess they feel he was limited just to punts and not worth keeping.

As for Ocho, do we really need him or miss him...I say no.

The fit was supposed to be a good one and yet, when it comes to Chad Ochocinco, the eye test tells you: square peg in a round hole. That’s how it’s been eight weeks into a ride Ochocinco first described as heaven but now might fall into a different category.

[/i]http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2011_0929time_to_question_ochocincos_play/srvc=home&position=also

• 2 weeks later...