Chad Ochocinco's Big Adventure

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...this will prob get moved to NFL forum, but, f**k it.

Beautiful 40-yard pass to Gronkowski from Brady, called back. Why?

Because Chad Johnson, naturally, lined up on the LOS rather than stepping back after the TE on his side was also on the LOS.

Saw that from that fool too many times to count over the years in Cincy.

Had to laugh extra when Jaworski said Johnson had been around too much to make that mistake.

HA HA HA.

In other words, Jaworski saw the same things last night as he commented about on PTI before the game was played. How Chad was having a tougher time learning the offense than a a veteran WR should. How Chad ran poorer routes than a veteran WR should. How Chad's struggles to learn the offense had caused him to press on the field, something a veteran player should be able to avoid. And best, how Chad was unable to defeat even the most basic defensive adjustments, something a veteran wideout should be able to do with relative ease unless advancing age had caused his wheels to fall off.

And yeah, those last words are mine, not Jaws.

He's not better Gresham would be performing at a higher level than Gronkowski if he was a New England Patriot, that being said, My arguement against taking Gresham last year (and Green this year for that matter) is that there were players capable of performing at similar levels available into the 3rd or 4th round. Tony Moeaki for example, or Aaron Hernadez, or Jimmy Graham etc. I think the Gresham is the most talented of the bunch but the gap was not wide enough to justify taking him in Rd. 1. Same thing applies for Green in this draft although Torrey Smith's struggles and Jon Baldwin's struggles and subsequent injury may prove me wrong.

At the risk of derailing this thread I simply have to ask the question again....

How much better is Rob Gronkowski than Jermain Gresham?

Seriously, even as I sit here today reflecting upon Gresham's best day as a pro.....the gap between Gresham and Gronkowski seems to have grown even wider.

Gronkowski is not a better player than Gresham. Having Tom Brady as his QB and being a part of a much more stable offense has A LOT to do with his production thus far.

i have grown to really love gresham, but gronkowski is a better TE, in my opinion. the year they were drafted, some had gronk ahead of gresh, and rightfully so. missing the entire 2009 season to injury helped him slip behind gresham into the 2nd round, but it was pretty clear gronk was special when he was at Arizona.

At the risk of derailing this thread I simply have to ask the question again....

Seriously, even as I sit here today reflecting upon Gresham's best day as a pro.....the gap between Gresham and Gronkowski seems to have grown even wider.

Well... yes. You did derail the thread. But I don't see anyone complaining.

Gronkowski's superiority to Gresham as a receiver is not a given. They are more or less equals. That said... Gronk is by far a better blocker than Gresham. And no, it's not close. So you're right. Gronk is a better.

And you'll recall that I had no less than 6 guys I would have rather had with the pick than Jermaine Gresham. But before tooting my own horn... Gronk wasn't one of them. The injury risk was too high for a 1st round pick in my book.

The truth is that comparing Gresham to Gronk doesn't mean anything. You need to judge Gresham's performance based on the expectations of his draft status. Is he performing below the level you expected when you quickly and warmly accepted his selection in 2010? For my part, Gresham has already exceeded expectations.

All of that to say... did you suggest that Gronk should have been the selection instead of Gresham? Because if you didn't, the comparison doesn't count for much more than proof that none of us own crystal balls.

The truth is that comparing Gresham to Gronk doesn't mean anything. You need to judge Gresham's performance based on the expectations of his draft status. Is he performing below the level you expected when you quickly and warmly accepted his selection in 2010? For my part, Gresham has already exceeded expectations.

Well, there's my problem as I warmly accepted his selection only after noting my reservations. At length. And no, since being selected Gresham hasn't met my expectations.....yet. At best, I noted the change in how he was used against Cleveland and renewed my hopes for the long promised breakout performance.

But I'm probably just being impatient, right?

It's just that it rubs me the wrong way knowing how Gronkowski is already an established star at the TE position with few holes in his game. Meanwhile, Gresham still struggles to meet MOST expectations and seems to have at least one gaping hole in his game.

I think you guys are selling Gresham short here.

1) He led all rookie TEs in receptions.

2) He was 3rd among rookie TEs in yards, and was less than 100 yards from the #1 spot.

3) He played for the Bengals where Palmer never really favored throwing to TEs (probably because he never had any to throw to) and where he had to share receptions with the likes of Chad and T.O.

The one area you can dock Gresham in is touchdowns, but that's hardly a fair comparison. In New England, the TEs are basically used like WRs and Brady LOVES throwing to them, especially in the endzone. Not to mention the fact that they don't have any big name "give me the ball every play" receivers to contend with for receptions.

If you put Gresham on the Patriots roster, I expect that he'd outperform both Gronkowski and Hernandez. Of course, that's just speculation, which is what all of this really is anyway. I just don't think it's fair to put Gronkowski ahead of Gresham just yet. The comparison is made all that much harder this year considering the Patriots TEs are catching balls from Tom Brady, while Gresham is catching them from a rookie, regardless of how much promise said rookie may be showing up to this point.

As for blocking, who knows. All we really know on that front is their reputations coming out of college. I doubt any of us has sat down to watch the tape to know what each of them has done at the professional level.

I think we have to be careful comparing Bengal players to folks who play in NE on offense. When guys leave NE, things seem to change. Look at Matt Cassel.

I can't find anything about Gresham's receiving skills to be disappointed about. The only area he can be criticized is with his blocking and rarely do TEs with his skills excel at blocking too.

Read between the lines muthaf**kas!!!

Chad and Brat slammed together in one awesome article! It's like a potporri of "go f**k yourself!"

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/09/14/not-a-good-week-for-ocho/

When asked about the differences between last year’s offense and this one, especially when it comes to getting out of the huddle earlier, Cedric Benson pointed out one reason.

“Because you had some challenges out on the edges you had to deal with,” Benson said. “You don’t have those anymore. Guys line up and generally know what they need to do and what the task is on each play.”

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth added some to the comments when he was asked if losing big-name players ended up being better.

“Sad to say, as much as I love you guys, sometimes stars are born from y’all, not necessarily success on the football field,” Whitworth said. “Some guys run their mouths a lot or say a lot of things so they get a lot of attention. It doesn’t mean they always play football the way it is supposed to be played. Things like that happen. People start to believe or really have an opinion of a guy that may not necessarily be true, but at the end of the day when you are a football team and guys compete that way and go out on the football field together, you have a chance to win. And that is the key thing. We have a football team right now and there is not one guy in this locker room I would trade for anybody in the world and every time we go on the field we are all in and we are playing together.”

This might be a good time to post one of the numerous articles detailing how ex-Patriot Teddy Bruschi practically burned Chad to the ground over a tweet he wrote about being in awe of the Patriots offense.

But I won't. And the reason I won't is because I believe Teddy Bruschi is a cockbag who overreacted to Chad's tweet.

That said, I still laughed.

I think you guys are selling Gresham short here.

1) He led all rookie TEs in receptions.

2) He was 3rd among rookie TEs in yards, and was less than 100 yards from the #1 spot.

3) He played for the Bengals where Palmer never really favored throwing to TEs (probably because he never had any to throw to) and where he had to share receptions with the likes of Chad and T.O.

The one area you can dock Gresham in is touchdowns, but that's hardly a fair comparison. In New England, the TEs are basically used like WRs and Brady LOVES throwing to them, especially in the endzone. Not to mention the fact that they don't have any big name "give me the ball every play" receivers to contend with for receptions.

If you put Gresham on the Patriots roster, I expect that he'd outperform both Gronkowski and Hernandez. Of course, that's just speculation, which is what all of this really is anyway. I just don't think it's fair to put Gronkowski ahead of Gresham just yet. The comparison is made all that much harder this year considering the Patriots TEs are catching balls from Tom Brady, while Gresham is catching them from a rookie, regardless of how much promise said rookie may be showing up to this point.

As for blocking, who knows. All we really know on that front is their reputations coming out of college. I doubt any of us has sat down to watch the tape to know what each of them has done at the professional level.

Hernandez was a beast at Miami, he came out early and was only selected in the 4th round, which was a steal. Hernandez had some off the field issues, but I think if he had stayed in school a year longer he would have been a first round pick. His drawback is, he isn't a great blocker either. It is very hard to find a TE that can block like an extra tackle and catch passes like a WR. If you do find a guy like that (Mark Bavarro) you better snatch him up quickly! An all around TE like that can be a huge difference maker on a team.