Official Bengals Free Agent Thread

membengal

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im hoping and wishing so hard its cut Chad, im ready for this team to move on from this drama queen. However they can resign JJoe first so they dont loose him, right now i think he is a must since Adam Jones has neck problems, and trouble problems. If they loose Jjoe they better make sure they get a decent CB that might be out there.

Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen. This CBA worked out perfectly for Chad. The Bengals now need to spend so much $$$ to get to the floor of the Cap, they need Chad's $6 million option to help them get close (especially with Carson's contract not counting). So, basically you can look forward to them keeping Chad and other guys like Antwan Odom who have big contracts only because the Bengals are so far below the minimum.

I'd rather they extend the long snapper for $6M/yr. Seriously.

Since they have all this money, wouldn't make sense to spend it on players who aren't openly despised by their coach?

Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen. This CBA worked out perfectly for Chad. The Bengals now need to spend so much $$$ to get to the floor of the Cap, they need Chad's $6 million option to help them get close (especially with Carson's contract not counting). So, basically you can look forward to them keeping Chad and other guys like Antwan Odom who have big contracts only because the Bengals are so far below the minimum.

I'd rather they extend the long snapper for $6M/yr. Seriously.

Since they have all this money, wouldn't make sense to spend it on players who aren't openly despised by their coach?

Why yes!

JJoe has to be the priority hands down and I don't really think there is a close second.

However:

RB- Benson has issues and if Dalton is starting, they need some veteran presence at that position.

Guard- Bobbie is older and in his last year. Boling is a rookie and the rest suck monkey balls.

Backup QB- I hope Jordan gets cut. No one looking to be the starter will come here. Think Gradkowski as best option.

Safety- Are the hopes and dreams of the position pinned on Reggie Nelson ??

A position that I still feel could be addressed if things were to fall a certain way is WR. While i'm not advocating it to be a top 3 priority, there are things to consider. "IF" Chad is released (I don't think he will), we are looking at Green, Simpson, Shipley, Caldwell, Cosby, and Whalen ?? That could go well, but when looking at it further, Whalen is a big question, Caldwell appears on the outs, we all hope Simpson picks up from where he left off and what are the real expectations of AJ Green ?? While I think Green will have a good season as a rookie, there are reasons to believe they could stand to bring in a veteran WR and they should be able to get someone to upgrade the position that won't break the bank.

First UDFA in the fold: Kent State safety Brian Lainhart.

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/07/25/undrafted-rookies-spree-starts-with-lainhart/

They had all this extra time to do work on the UDFA and that is who they came up with ??

Pointless even at a position of weakness. Oh well, you always need camp fodder.

According to John Clayton, we're either going to sign Gradkowski or Sorgi, and he seems to think there'll be a verbal agreement with one of them by today.

As I recall, we were handling Oakland, then they took that fat loser out and put Gradkowski in, and we immediately stopped handling Oakland. Then we lost the lead and the game. So I'm ok with Gradkowski. Not on board with Sorgi at all, just because I never saw him play very well.

First UDFA in the fold: Kent State safety Brian Lainhart.

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/07/25/undrafted-rookies-spree-starts-with-lainhart/

The end of that article said they are pursuing Sanzenbacher from Ohio State. I'm for it. Sign him then force Chad out.

What do you all think will be the first big move by the Bengals?

Big move?

It may not meet the definition of "big move" but I would expect one of the very first moves the Bengals will make in free agency will be signing whichever veteran QB mutt appeals to them most. Granted, none of the options will excite Bengal fans but the position itself dictates the Bengals pick the personality that best fits their needs. In short, I expect the Bengals to identify who they want, target that player, and make his signing a priority....even if the signing prompts scads of Bengal fans to throw up ever so slightly into their own mouths.

Big moves? Well, good or bad, I expect the Joseph situation will play out fairly quickly. Furthermore, I'd expect them to immediately pursue the as yet unidentified FA offensive lineman they're rumored to be interested in. But if they miss out on either player, or both, I'm guessing the Bengals will become more deliberate in their dealings rather than more proactive.

What do you all think will be the first big move by the Bengals?

Big move?

It may not meet the definition of "big move" but I would expect one of the very first moves the Bengals will make in free agency will be signing whichever veteran QB mutt appeals to them most. Granted, none of the options will excite Bengal fans but the position itself dictates the Bengals pick the personality that best fits their needs. In short, I expect the Bengals to identify who they want, target that player, and make his signing a priority....even if the signing prompts scads of Bengal fans to throw up ever so slightly into their own mouths.

Big moves? Well, good or bad, I expect the Joseph situation will play out fairly quickly. Furthermore, I'd expect them to immediately pursue the as yet unidentified FA offensive lineman they're rumored to be interested in. But if they miss out on either player, or both, I'm guessing the Bengals will become more deliberate in their dealings rather than more proactive.

Is Jeff Garcia still in the league? I say that half joking and half serious. Gritty player that knows the WCO. Might be a good mentor for AD. But I thought he retired after Cleveland. Can't really remember now.

We still need a veteran QB. Who do we want?

According to John Clayton, we're either going to sign Gradkowski or Sorgi, and he seems to think there'll be a verbal agreement with one of them by today.

Yuck

At least we won't have to play against Grad if we sign him. Last time I checked, he owned us in two games that basically cost us or affected our season in a negative way.

Is Jeff Garcia still in the league? I say that half joking and half serious. Gritty player that knows the WCO. Might be a good mentor for AD. But I thought he retired after Cleveland. Can't really remember now.

As far as I know, in 2010 he played for Omaha in the UFL.

Even at his age, I think Garcia would be a good fit, as I'm sure he already knows some of Gruden's offense having played in Tampa for 2 years ('07 & '08) and could help teach Dalton.

***Bonus: We get to see more of Garcia's Smokin' Hot wife Carmella Decesare (below)

Carmella_DeCesare_01.jpg

I was looking at the free agent list, and the RB list is surprisingly good. Nobody that I would sign with the next several seasons in mind, but there are plenty of good options to tide us over until we can draft someone good.

I'm okay with bringing Benson back, but I'm not excited about it, either.

I was looking at the free agent list, and the RB list is surprisingly good. Nobody that I would sign with the next several seasons in mind, but there are plenty of good options to tide us over until we can draft someone good.

I'm okay with bringing Benson back, but I'm not excited about it, either.

Has anyone heard anything about how discipline will be handled for incidents during the lockout? I think Ahmad Bradshaw would be a better fit because of his receiving skills. The Bengals have so much money I hope they land someone. At least JJ.

Another UDFA is apparently UK DE DeQuin Evans, who will move to SSLB.

/>http://www.ukathletics.com/blog/2011/07/evans-reportedly-headed-to-the-bengals.html

Also: Arizona kicker Thomas Weber.

/>http://twitter.com/#!/NFLDraftBible/status/95890362454904832