The Salary Floor

kevnz

Okay, we all know Mike Brown doesn't like to spend it up in Free Agency, but, with the new CBA (if it's signed) bringing in a Salary Floor and the Bengals about 30+ mill from it what do they do to get there. The money has to be spent, the team has needs and really, it looks like MB is gonna have to sign some checks, even if it's just extending guys here (and that 30+ mll isn't counting the savings they'd get by getting rid of 85 and 9) So what does everybody think? Or can you see some way MB will try to weasel out of it?

Okay, we all know Mike Brown doesn't like to spend it up in Free Agency, but, with the new CBA (if it's signed) bringing in a Salary Floor and the Bengals about 30+ mill from it what do they do to get there. The money has to be spent, the team has needs and really, it looks like MB is gonna have to sign some checks, even if it's just extending guys here (and that 30+ mll isn't counting the savings they'd get by getting rid of 85 and 9) So what does everybody think? Or can you see some way MB will try to weasel out of it?

I'm interested in how this is going to shake out as much as anybody. I don't think he can weasel out of not hitting the floor. However, cap numbers in the past have been very hazy as presented to the public so I don't know how we're really going to know.

The first thing they'll probably do is sign Benson and Joseph. I'd like to see them sign some more saftey help. Getting Michael Huff would be great. Additional help at RB, OL are needed. They might look to pick up another LB if they let B. Johnson walk. The only "big" chance I see them taking in FA is signing a veteran back-up/starter at QB. Gradkowski is my choice if I had one there.

It is going to be so interesting to see what happens. We have so many unanswered questions. Signing Joseph seems like it should be priority #1. I have no clue what will happen at QB, I'd imagine a vet will be brought in, and I have no idea what they are going to do at RB.

If we are going to extend contracts, why not try to extend some of the young guys that may be the foundation for our defense? i.e Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Leon Hall and Geno Atkins.

I believe these guys are the basis for a solid defense that couple with our new WCO can make us a winner.

There will be a lot of o-linemen that will present an opportunity to upgrade the o-line as a whole and after handling internal players, I could see this being a good place for them to start. I'm not saying they make a blockbuster move, even though they have the money to spend, but something that will be a much better option than Mathis or Livings. Can't forget they still have to make up their mind about picking up Big Dre's 2 years. I think they will, but it's not a forgone conclusion either.

There are many ways they could spend money, but I would bet they will content letting Carson and Chad stick to eat some of that up.

Oh yeah, Odom is due to make like 6.5 million this season. Want to free up money for Hall ?? There's a start.

The short free agency window is going to hurt us. Mike and company are never quick about anything. I believe we'll lose some of our own free agents just because other teams will aggressively pursue them and we'll sit around saying, "that's a lot of money" to each other.

Also, regarding the floor, I think there is a provision in there to allow some teams to step up to it over three years, so small market teams get a bit of a break early on.

Was watching NFL network and they were talking how Bengals want Carson to return simply help them get close 90% to spend...Really?

No surprise there. Small, slow, penny-pinching organization suddenly obligated to pay out tens of millions in a matter of days under new rules that they have barely had time to absorb? Carson coming back would be a huge help simply by reducing the workload.

Was watching NFL network and they were talking how Bengals want Carson to return simply help them get close 90% to spend...Really?

No surprise there. Small, slow, penny-pinching organization suddenly obligated to pay out tens of millions in a matter of days under new rules that they have barely had time to absorb? Carson coming back would be a huge help simply by reducing the workload.

Again, according to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL network, the Bengals are NOT one of the franchises that prompted a fight over a salary floor. Instead, the floor was added due to the cheaper long-term spending habits of teams like Buffalo, not Cincy, AND the short term spending habits of teams like Tampa Bay, so-called rebuilding teams who are, surprise or not, so competitive they could benefit immediately from a FA spending splurge. A splurge the players association insists isn't happening, and won't happen, unless there's a spending floor.

La Canfora went on to say that teams like Cincy won't be heavily impacted by a salary floor precisely because their spending habits don't change from year to year. The Bengals almost always spend very close to the salary cap limit, and thus....very close to the salary floor. So for the Bengals the new agreement means they can go forward doing business as usual, with each offseason being judged in large measure by their ability to resign their own star players.

As for Palmer, I repeat, LaCanfora claimed that when deciding which cap stratgey to chose the Bengals will probably find themselves picking whichever strategy they love best, not which one is least painful.

Good luck, Hair, changing that meme. I have had to listen to "the Bengals will finally have to spend money" crap from the ESPN jokers for a few weeks now. Which ignores the inconvenient fact that the bengals actually spend plenty of money each year toward the cap, and are not one of the floor teams. They just don't necessarily spend it as wisely as one would wish they would.

La Canfora went on to say that teams like Cincy won't be heavily impacted by a salary floor precisely because their spending habits don't change from year to year.

I never said they would. But there is no "business as usual" this year. Normally, they have months to get all of this done, meaning the can afford to have a small organization that moves glacially. Now they are facing a free agent free-for-all. The less they need to look at spending, the easier it would be to prioritize things, so having Carson come back would be helpful.

La Canfora went on to say that teams like Cincy won't be heavily impacted by a salary floor precisely because their spending habits don't change from year to year. The Bengals almost always spend very close to the salary cap limit,

You and all your inconvenient facts just get in the way of "Sell the Buick and get the Lumina off blocks", "Holy crap, find the name of that manufacturer who made undersized towels," and "We leased the space under the bleachers to the Knights of Columbus, rent a tent somewhere and have the players' Christmas party in the parking lot."

Again, according to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL network, the Bengals are NOT one of the franchises that prompted a fight over a salary floor. Instead, the floor was added due to the cheaper long-term spending habits of teams like Buffalo, not Cincy, AND the short term spending habits of teams like Tampa Bay, so-called rebuilding teams who are, surprise or not, so competitive they could benefit immediately from a FA spending splurge. A splurge the players association insists isn't happening, and won't happen, unless there's a spending floor.

La Canfora went on to say that teams like Cincy won't be heavily impacted by a salary floor precisely because their spending habits don't change from year to year. The Bengals almost always spend very close to the salary cap limit, and thus....very close to the salary floor. So for the Bengals the new agreement means they can go forward doing business as usual, with each offseason being judged in large measure by their ability to resign their own star players.

As for Palmer, I repeat, LaCanfora claimed that when deciding which cap stratgey to chose the Bengals will probably find themselves picking whichever strategy they love best, not which one is least painful.

Funny thing is i was listening to sirus NFL raido the other night with Jim Miller, and Solomn Wilcots, when a caller called in said the same that that what is Brown going to do since he is so cheep and dosnt want players. Funny thing is Miller and Wilcots both ripped this guy, and said that Brown always spends money, and he spends money on guys that are suppossed to come in and help this team. He brought up that he was not afraid to go out and get TO because its what Palmer wanted, and also spent the money on Bryant but he just didnt work out. Also said that the Bengals are a talented team because of Mike Brown, and the way he spends money on the guys they need to help the team. They said that Mike Brown does a great job its just hard to get people to sign here because of the history and because its not a sexy town!

To tell you the truth its true, he does try to win. He brings in guys like TO and Bryant because its what his QB wanted. He tryed to pay TJ, but TJ wanted to leave. He payed for Antwan Odom, who just can stay healthy. They have drafted pretty good if you ask me the last couple of years, with some up and coming defense guys, and a couple good offense weapons. So i dont think im going to blame Mike for not spending money, i think it has more to do with certain players here (Chad), and the coaches not coaching this team up like they should. So i sure hope Mike does spend the money this year, on his own players, and young players in free agency.

Funny thing is i was listening to sirus NFL raido the other night with Jim Miller, and Solomn Wilcots, when a caller called in said the same that that what is Brown going to do since he is so cheep and dosnt want players. Funny thing is Miller and Wilcots both ripped this guy, and said that Brown always spends money, and he spends money on guys that are suppossed to come in and help this team. He brought up that he was not afraid to go out and get TO because its what Palmer wanted, and also spent the money on Bryant but he just didnt work out. Also said that the Bengals are a talented team because of Mike Brown, and the way he spends money on the guys they need to help the team. They said that Mike Brown does a great job its just hard to get people to sign here because of the history and because its not a sexy town!

Paul Daugherty wrecked his car that afternoon due to taking his hands off the steering wheel so he could cover his ears and yell, "I can't hear you, I can't hear you, I can't hear you!!"

Now if would only open his wallet to protect the rookie QB that appears to be getting the nod at starting at the beginning of the season.

A nice shiny LG would help and I wouldn't complain about an upgrade to the center position.

Something about seeing Cook on his ass doesn't appeal to me.

Paul Daugherty wrecked his car that afternoon due to taking his hands off the steering wheel so he could cover his ears and yell, "I can't hear you, I can't hear you, I can't hear you!!"

LOL LOL that is so true. Oh and im not saying Mike Brown is a great owner he is far from that, but i have noticed the last couple years that he is trying to win. Getting players that his QB wanted, beefing up the d-line, its too bad some of these guys dont pan out or get injured all the time. So i really do believe he wants to win and is trying to get players in here who wants that. Now im just hoping thats what he does this year, get guys in here who want to win, and bring back your own guys.

Now if would only open his wallet to protect the rookie QB that appears to be getting the nod at starting at the beginning of the season.

A nice shiny LG would help and I wouldn't complain about an upgrade to the center position.

Something about seeing Cook on his ass doesn't appeal to me.

Thats what i would love to see if nothing else upgrade the o-line. I have a feeling though that Cook is going no where they seem to like him alot. Livings on the other hand needs to go!!!!! Im still excited to see the rookie Bolling to see how he looks, but i do hope they bring in some free agents.

Cincinnati 23.9 that is the amount of money that the Bengals must spend to hit the floor. That being said, I read a few comments that the Brown and company don't usually react to FA quickly. Part of this is because of their scouting department but since they have had five months to work on this they are going to be okay..now, their big problem is how they judge what each FA is going to want. Alot of teams have alot of money....

Good luck, Hair, changing that meme. I have had to listen to "the Bengals will finally have to spend money" crap from the ESPN jokers for a few weeks now. Which ignores the inconvenient fact that the bengals actually spend plenty of money each year toward the cap, and are not one of the floor teams. They just don't necessarily spend it as wisely as one would wish they would.

While that's true, it's also true that the Bengals have done their share of gaming the system to get close to the cap annually. One of the reasons the Bengals are so far under even the floor this year is that they amortized bonuses ahead of schedule. This is why they can't, for example, go after Carson for a portion of his bonus money, because they already amortized it years before the rules said they had to. Same with Chad's option. As we found out earlier this year, they picked that up sometime years ago and applied the money to whatever year's cap that was.

I don't know what the team's record is for actual cash spending in a year, but I'm willing to bet they set a new one this year.

It doesn't matter if the Bengals have spent money in the past (and they have, poorly, but it's been spent), they now have a reportedly 34 million they HAVE to spend. That just for this year after being so tight last year with no floor. If they do make some cuts/trades they'd have anywhere from 12 to 15 million more they'd have to spend. Now surely, agents, knowing this will actually target the team? Despite the history, could this be the year the Bengals actually get a big name in free agency? The thing is, if the team deals with 9 and 85 and Odam, then they could make that FA splash, and sign the young players to extensions.

I'm all for seeing what Boling has, but would LOVE more than most things to see a quality starter brought in and let Boling play the backup role his rookie season. It's not like Bobbie Williams will be back next season and you never know with injuries. Guard is almost a MUST HAVE in free agency in my eyes.

Guard is almost a MUST HAVE in free agency in my eyes.

I'd expand that and say about any O-line (hell probably any D-line too) is a must have. Outside of Whit I'd say the entire line needs an upgrade.