Anyone catch Gruden/Pryor show last night?

walzav29

I found something interesting in regards to Palmer. He used an example where Palmer noticed the pressure was coming from the right from Jonathon Vilma and had to instruct the guard to slide over and pick it up. I believe he was implying that Palmer's laid back way of calling out the blitz pickup resulted in the guard not picking it up. I found that interesting. Basically he was saying that Palmer should have been louder/more assertive in this situation. We know nothing about Dalton in regards to the NFL, but I am positive he is a better leader from watching him in college. Anyone see it last night?

I taped it and watched this morning and was thinking the same thing. He was basically calling out Palmer for not being vocal enough. Saying, you can't just point your finger and hope it all goes right. Then they watched as Palmer got blasted by the very person he knew was coming for him.

I could argue a couple sides to watching Gruden with Pryor. One is that Gruden never says a bad thing about any of the QB's he sits down with. I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but its true. He might throw some questions out there to make the QB sitting across from him think for a minute, but he spends a bunch of time telling these guys how great they are. He told Pryor he was a Heisman candidate in this episode and I have to wonder if Gruden somehow forgot Pryor was suspended the first 5 games of the season ?? Anyway...

What I will agree with Gruden on is the fact that Pryor does have a ton of experience taking snaps under center and while he's a dual threat QB, he's at least equally "athletically" as capable than most of the guys drafted this year. Is he Cam Newton ?? Well, not for the most part, but he certainly has the tools to be just as good. My issue with Pryor is his immaturity and decision making. He comes off (even in this show) as having a sense of entitlement. Without knowing him, it's hard to tell if it's confidence or cockiness, but it's noticeable.

Many are saying he won't go until the 5th or maybe the 4th at the earliest and while I have my concerns with him, getting him in the 5th round would be an absolute steal. That goes for any team, not just the Bengals. I think he needs to get out of Ohio though. He would catch a ton of more sh*t playing for the Bengals or Browns than any other team.

For what it's worth, I watched most of Gruden's football camp episodes and would have preferred seeing him try to rattle the QB's cage a little more than he did. Give a really good idea of the makeup of the kid as opposed to seeing him lead them by the hand telling them how great they are.

And furthermore, not that this post isn't long enough already. I'm still left to wonder how much Jon influenced Jay and the Bengals (based upon what he saw) to really want Dalton ?? Maybe there was talk behind the scenes about the things he didn't like, but didn't say on his shows.

Who knows ??

I think they would have to of talked about it. I think Gruden takes it easy on the QB's for even having the guts to go on the show. From the ones I watched, the guy I wanted was Dalton. I really am optimistic about Jay Gruden, and I like Jon. Hopefully he gave him the inside scoop on Andy.

Agree that it's one of the reasons I was really happy about getting Dalton where we did, without moving up and giving up picks.

I think he is really going to do well in Jay Gruden's offensive scheme.

That being said, I still would have liked to have seen Pryor grilled by Jon Gruden on the episode.

Pryor is definitely not ready to be a QB at the NFL level yet and probably not ever, but after watching him and watching Cam Newton, I felt he was at least the smarter of the two. Cam seemed like he didn't even have a playbook. Like the coaches would tell him 1 read and make a play. He couldn't even draw up the play on the whiteboard! He said, "your putting me on the spot!" WHAT? Your a quarterback and you can't draw up a play that you just watched yourself run on film, on the board? And I'm gonna draft you #1 overall? BUST!!!

I taped it and watched this morning and was thinking the same thing. He was basically calling out Palmer for not being vocal enough. Saying, you can't just point your finger and hope it all goes right. Then they watched as Palmer got blasted by the very person he knew was coming for him.

Well, I watched the show and I have to admit that while I'm not much of a Carson Palmer fan right now I didn't get the same impression as the rest of you.

Call me crazy but the taped example begins with Gruden pointing out the way Kyle Cook makes his pre-snap read and immediately begins pointing towards the right side of the Bengals front. Palmer also makes his pre-snap read and joins Cook in pointing hard right. Then the ball is snapped and a blitzing Jonathan Vilma crushes Palmer, not because Palmer was too timid or didn't read the defense correctly, but rather....because ORT Dennis Roland allowed Vilma to penetrate completely unblocked and wasn't picked up by the ORG.

The obvious lesson being missed is that making the right blocking call isn't enough to save the play or be successful overall. Your line still has to block people, and if they don't any QB will fail.

BTW, you can put me in the camp that remains very interested in drafting Pryor as a backup QB, but I admit that has as much to do with my opinion of Jordan Palmer as it does my feelings for Pryor.