Bengals worst franchise in sports?

Kazkal

Has to be the Clips. Same putridity over the long haul and an even more pinny-pinching owner. Add to it the fact that the owner is widely reputed to be a racist a**hole, and the fact that they're a distant #2 in their own town. Generally, the Clips don't get ridiculed in LA because it's not even worth the effort.

I didn't even see them on the list, which really calls the whole thing into question.

Yeah, the Clippers are worse.

Maybe.

In recent months the Clipper's owner lost a lawsuit charging him with racial discrimination in real estate dealings, won a lawsuit filed by a former GM who claimed he was improperly fired due to his race, and just last week lost a 13 million dollar lawsuit filed by a head coach who claimed he was also improperly fired. Plus, in the hearing the Clippers did manage to win against Elgin Baylor the team owner actually admitted he had purchased the team as an investment only, knows nothing about the sport of basketball or the inner workings of his team, and couldn't tell you the names of most of the players who make up his roster. Last, he admitted he enjoys attending Clipper games, in part, because he loves to boo his own players, especially the ones he believes haven't lived up to their paychecks. For example, this season Donald Sterling was said to have repeatedly focuses his courtside ire on C/PF Cris Kaman, a player still struggling to come back from injury.

With all of that said, I believe there's enough pure talent on the Clipper's current roster to eventually win an NBA title IF the teams roster matures enough to reject the trappings and baggage that come with all things Clipper. And for that to happen they'll need Blake Griffin to be as good a leader as he is a player. Or if you prefer, his personality has to be bigger than the curse being faced. And there's the proverbial rub because I believe Griffin is so good I wouldn't rule out his chances. More importantly, I'm guessing most of ClipperNation believes things are looking up, if not way up.

Do any Bengal fans feel that way? When we consider the star players on this team do we see any players who have the types of personalities needed to overcome the franchises all too obvious shortcomings?

Just saying.

Blake Griffin doesn't have any personality and is not equipped to be a team leader.

He can jump high though.

Clippers don't have any chance of winning an NBA title any time soon. Clipper fan can be excited, but that's excitement for a possible playoff berth. Not a title.

Similar to the Bengals - but in NFL - You can get hot at the right time and win a couple playoff games.

There are a lot of teams that are worse. Royals, Clippers, Orioles, Panthers. But we all suck. Its just slight % points separating the nonsense.

Browns do get way too much credit these days. Their stands are 60% full halfway thru the season.

They have had what? 6 coaches in the last 14 years? 15 QBs? 1 Freak playoff appearance.

Clippers don't have any chance of winning an NBA title any time soon. Clipper fan can be excited, but that's excitement for a possible playoff berth. Not a title.

I won't argue the point. Nor will I debate the awesomeness of Blake Griffin. Suffice to say that most Clipper fans feel the needle is pointing up. So I ask again, do most Bengal fans feel that way?

There are a lot of teams that are worse. Royals, Clippers, Orioles, Panthers. But we all suck. Its just slight % points separating the nonsense.

Fair enough. But percentage points based upon what? What dictates whether a team rises or falls a few spots at the very bottom of a ranking of franchises? I'm guessing it's due to if the so-called needle is pointing up or down at that particular moment. In this example, for the Clippers, it's pointing up.

For the Bengals, not so much.

Well the Bengals organization has come out and responded to this list by ESPN. They claim the Bengals were ranked #19 on this same list five years ago. (Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Who the hell knows.) Initially I thought this was a tad high, but the in retrospect I remembered that was not long after Cincinnati went to the playoffs.

This year our team is a mess. The team's record last season was beyond dismal, and the starting QB wants to quit. Not a big surprise we landed where we have.

BTW, this is the best quote from it:

Our record is not what we want it to be, for sure. But it is unfortunate that a national publication has derided the organization, which includes all of our employees, coaches and players – people who care, work hard and do good things. Every person who works at Paul Brown Stadium wants the same thing – to win a Super Bowl for the fans and Cincinnati. Until we win that final Sunday of the season, we know we have fallen short of our goals and leave our fans unsatisfied and wanting more. We want more as well. Make no mistake … the goal every season is to win the Super Bowl.

I'm left speechless here.

Strange, I always thought Mike Brown was satisfied being a "contender".

I honestly don't think i've EVER heard anyone from the front office say the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

Seriously, I suppose that's kind of the whole point in owning a football team so it should be assumed, but you simply never hear it from them.

I'm curious who from the organization made the statement Billy.

I'm guessing they interviewed the guy responsible for scraping gum off the bottom of the stadium seats.

F**k these piece of sh*t rankings!!!

It's pure bullsh*t. As bad as the Bengals may be, NO WAY they are the worst franchise in all of sports.

For those mentioning the Clippers, they do have some positives like players (Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon both averaged over 22 pts per game last year), and their ticket prices are quite a bit less than the Lakers (who play in the same building, so they should rank high in Stadium experience & affordability). If you're going to name a NBA team, or a truly f**ked up franchise, it's The Minnesota Timberwolves.......They are 253 different kinds of fu**ed.....I mean, if their ticket price is $2 then it's about $1.50 too much. F**ked up team, owner, GM, arena, everything. They suck EVERY YEAR (See 32-132 record the past 2 seasons), F**k up their draft by yearly selecting the WRONG players despite having a perrenial Top 5 Pick, they waste the talents of players like Garnett, and will likely do the same with Kevin Love and Michael Beasely. They do things like waste a high 1st Rd pick (# 5 Overall) on an 18 yr old Point Guard in '09 and he still hasnt played an NBA game, and EVEN WORSE he's currently a back-up on his Spanish League Team, if he can't even start in the Spanish league, how the F*ck can he be a good NBA PG? The T-Wolves actually had the #5 ,#6 & #18 Picks, and what do they do? Take 3 Point Guards, and 2 years later PG is STILL their biggest weakness.... * Note: they traded the PG they took at #18 (Ty Lawson), and they passed up on better PG's in Brandon Jennings, and Darren Collison.....SERIOUSLY, THE BENGALS RANK WORSE THAN THE TIMBERWOLVES????

Let me take a page out of Army's book and say

F**K YOU ESPN !!!

Let me take a page out of Army's book and say

F**K YOU ESPN !!!

I love being quoted.

Not that it's something most would be proud of, but I was taught at a young age in the Army that a properly placed "F*CK YOU" is a powerful tool.

I'm sure it's an arguable point and some think vulgarity is for the stupid and weakminded. Well, f*ck you to !!! :lol:

Anyway, the Timberwolves are certainly another good option for the worst franchise. Good point.

I won't argue the point. Nor will I debate the awesomeness of Blake Griffin. Suffice to say that most Clipper fans feel the needle is pointing up. So I ask again, do most Bengal fans feel that way?

...I'm guessing it's due to if the so-called needle is pointing up or down at that particular moment. In this example, for the Clippers, it's pointing up. For the Bengals, not so much.

Quite true. The Clips are now where the Bengals were, say, in 2009. That's why I wouldn't measure a franchise by where the needle points now. It's a long-term thing. And over the long haul, the Clippers have redefined suckitude.

I do feel bad for Clips fans, because Griffin is one of the awesomest pure athletic talents I've seen come in the league in a very long time. Problem is, that ain't enough.