QB question/Dalton

Why not a Jet's/Steelers approach? Run and play defense.

Because The Jets and Steelers (along with every other team in the League) Have a RB who averages more than 3.4 F*cking Yards Per Carry. Now If the Bengals ditch Benson, and sign someone like DeAngelo Williams, HELL YEAH, let's do this........Benson however cant make it happen. He can't break sh*t and his terrible ypc will set Dalton up for a ton of 3rd and Longs.......Not good for a Rookie QB

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it though:

Andy "The Ginja Ninja" Dalton

I like this as well.

With all due respect Army, Dalton has done NOTHING to deserve that nickname. He DAMN SURE ain't no Ninja.

Ninja's are badass and legend has it "Ginja Ninja's" are even more Badass due to their ability to throw fire (see link below). Dalton AT BEST can only hope to one day be mediocre. He's no Ninja.

http://www.urbandict...m=ginja%20ninja

. Let's just hope he doesn't earn a nickname like "Ginjury Prone"

I like it though:

I like this as well.

With all due respect Army, Dalton has done NOTHING to deserve that nickname. He DAMN SURE ain't no Ninja.

Ninja's are badass and legend has it "Ginja Ninja's" are even more Badass due to their ability to throw fire (see link below). Dalton AT BEST can only hope to one day be mediocre. He's no Ninja.

You know he is only going to be Mediocre, because how??? Have you seen him take an NFL snap before?? Just curious because you always have something to say about this kid, without even seeing him play.

I like it though:

I like this as well.

Holy sh*t that is funny. Who would've known ??

Badassness aside, I still like the nickname for him.

How about building the kid up a little and see if he can live up to the lofty "Ginja Ninja" expectations ??

Some insight from Jay Gruden as to why Dalton is a good fit. Accurate, short passes to playmakers who can run after the catch.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/07/jay-gruden-andy-dalton-was-the-best-in-the-draft-for-bengals-offense/

A system like that fits AJ Green very well... not to mention Shipley, Caldwell, and Scott. And Gresham should make for a nice security blanket. I've been saying I'm okay with a stopgap for the first half of the season... but based on what I'm hearing, I say start Dalton from day 1. Let's see what the guy has got.

Some insight from Jay Gruden as to why Dalton is a good fit. Accurate, short passes to playmakers who can run after the catch.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/07/jay-gruden-andy-dalton-was-the-best-in-the-draft-for-bengals-offense/

A system like that fits AJ Green very well... not to mention Shipley, Caldwell, and Scott. And Gresham should make for a nice security blanket. I've been saying I'm okay with a stopgap for the first half of the season... but based on what I'm hearing, I say start Dalton from day 1. Let's see what the guy has got.

Yup Start him this year Play good Defense,Make a run next year when he has more experiace.

Or this year :> if rest of the team shows up.

I fully anticipate the Steelers and Ravens beating up on Dalton at least the first season he goes up against them.

Look at Colt McCoy last year. He has a lot of upside heading into this season, but they made him look bad last.

I simply look forward to watching something new with an offense sporting new weapons and a new coordinator.

More on Gruden's being sold on Dalton (but not for Billy to read for Hobson related reasons):

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tale-of-the-tape/e374a675-13f4-4414-8a8c-471b54b83a02

A bit from it:

Gruden is showing why he thinks Dalton is the best of the rookie quarterbacks for his version of the West Coast offense. He starts with one of the tapes that sold him. TCU's 45-10 home win over Baylor on Sept 18, 2010 when Dalton sifted the Bears on 21-of-23 passing for 267 yards and two touchdowns.

"I had to go back and look at this one because I didn't remember the ball hitting the ground," Gruden says. "Last time I checked, Baylor went to a bowl."

"What impresses me is the location of the throws. He gives his guy a chance to run after the catch," he says. "That's very important throwing to backs, throwing to (Jermaine) Gresham, throwing to A.J. Green. A big part of these guys' strength is the ability to run after the catch. This offense, if we do throw shorter passes, four, five yards, we're throwing it to a location so they can catch and run. I think this guy does the best job of anybody in the draft, in my opinion, of doing that. I'm not saying nobody else can't. I just thought he was the best one at it."

Gruden clicks to a play near midfield. TCU wide receiver Jeremy Kerley is running what Guden calls "a drag hook concept." Dalton starts to throw before Kerley begins to break down on the numbers at about the 42 and when he turns back at the 40 he's looking the ball into his hands and wriggling for some more.

"(Dalton) is reading the flat defender. The flat defender takes the drag, so he's going to fire it in here. He sees it already, he's made a decision and he's going to make an accurate, perfect timing throw. It's not that big a deal, but it is. Because now that guy can catch it and make a move on this cat and maybe get 10, 12 more yards after the catch because of his anticipation and accuracy. If he'd been a count late on this throw, he'd been tackled at the 40, 41-yard line. But since he gave it to him on time the receiver is able to turn his shoulders, make a move and get six more yards because of it. Yards are hard to come by in football nowadays.

Bring a couple of perceptions in and Gruden shoots them down like old Bill Dalton lining up whiskey bottles on the fence.

Arm strength? Dalton isn't supposed to have a big arm.

"It's so overrated, it's stupid," he says.

Gruden clicks to a snap early in the game from the Baylor 28. It's play-action, a West Coast staple. Kerley is to Dalton's left strafing his man on a go route and Dalton barely flips his wrist for an in-stride touchdown pass over the shoulder as Kerley crosses the goal line.

"He doesn’t take a lot of effort to throw the deeper routes. It's not like he has to hitch and jump in the air to throw because his arm is weak," Gruden says. "This is 32, 35 yards and it's a dart. Watch how effortlessly he throws it. Play-action to his left, bam, he doesn't over-stride. It’s a quick release. It's not like me. I'd have to hitch, wind up, and drop the ball down to my hip."

Maybe it's just me but this talk of throwing to a spot and releasing it before the receiver makes his break sounds so intricate that I see a horrible situation coming off of a long lockout. This could be ugly to watch in 2011 given that the players don't even have their playbooks yet, let alone practiced these precise routes.

Maybe it's just me but this talk of throwing to a spot and releasing it before the receiver makes his break sounds so intricate that I see a horrible situation coming off of a long lockout. This could be ugly to watch in 2011 given that the players don't even have their playbooks yet, let alone practiced these precise routes.

I think its going to be ugly for alot of teams, the teams with new head coaches and new coordinators will suffer the most. Looks like another GreenBay superbowl LOL

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/5/15/2171971/simpson-bengals-andy-dalton-to-workout-with-skill-players

We first reported about Jordan Palmer and LeFevour organizing workouts with Bengals receivers in Southern California in mid-April, before the draft. It's unclear as to whether or not Dalton is taking part in these workouts as well or if he's organized his own thing.

Either way, it's nice to see that Dalton is taking the initiative to get to know his new receivers early. If the lockout is lifted soon, Dalton wil have some experience under his belt heading into camp, but if the owners are granted their request for an extended stay, Dalton's experience with his receiving corps (and their experience with him) could prove to be invaluable by the time the season rolls around

Rookie debuts

Dalton was in Los Angeles this week for the NFLPA's Rookie Premiere, along with first-round pick A.J.Green, the wide receiver from Georgia.

Both will travel to San Diego next week when Bengals quarterback Jordan Palmer holds another workout for the team's quarterbacks, wide receivers, tight ends and running backs.

The offensive line held drills with Andrew Whitworth in Louisiana last week while the defense did some workouts at Ignition in Mason.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110521/SPT02/105220348/Notebook-Palmer-media-hiatus-Edwards-wins-debut

i am pretty sure andy has a playbook. marvin comments during his press conference was, aj has a playbook and it is his to do with as he wishes. meaning aj send andy and the rest a copy of the playbook. as long as they get to play this season. they will have plenty of time to gel a a unit. plus i think jay will install plays that andy and company is comfortable with and then add more plays as the season progresses.

Palmer won't play, and Dalton won't be ready. Who do we want as our QB for 2011? For the sake of argument lets assume Dalton and CP aren't options.

McNabb

Hasselbeck

Bulger

I'll take Hasselback. He knows the system, and with all of the weapons he could have some success.

Palmer won't play,

Y'know, I'm starting to get a queasy feeling about that. Brown hasn't just kept the door to a Palmer return open, he's taken it off its hinges, thrown it away and placed a big neon "Welcome Back Carson the Great I love You Mikey" sign above the doorway. Marvin, meanwhile, has said flatly that Dalton goes to the bench if Palmer shows his face in the locker room again.

So what happens if this labor mess drags on into the fall, as many expect, and by the time both sides reach a deal what would have been 6 months away from the family in Cali turns into a 12 week vacation from the wife 'n' kids? I can easily see Mikey, desperate for an experienced QB since Dalton's had practically no prep time, bending so far as to offer Palmer a Boomer-style promise to deal him in 2012, and with less time away from home, Palmer accepting.

Mind you, I think that has disaster written all over it at this point, but of course disasters are Cincinnati Bengals specialty...

I don't care where Dalton is in the development headed into the season, I want him every day of the week and twice on Sunday before Palmer.

Yes, I'm aware that probably means a losing season and many questions headed into 2012, but I would actually watch with the possibility it might not be as bad as I think, hoping for the best and REALLY rooting them along. I would be able to deal with setbacks and mistakes knowing we were moving forward from f*ckheads our owner loves and the team doesn't need.

So who do we bring in ?? No one...

Dalton, Palmer Jr., LeFevour

Moving on.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to why bringing in Dalton is such a huge problem. Weren't we going back to a run first ball control offense anyway?

For all of the "Don't trade Palmer club", you guys should be wanting MB to have him sit on the bench behind Dalton to really show him a lesson.

What kind of precedent does it set when you can throw around trade demands, manipulate a team's draft, and STILL be begged to start????

If the Bengals were really set on setting a precedent for no more "further uprisings" then Palmer would either be retiring or sitting the bench.

Palmer won't play, and Dalton won't be ready. Who do we want as our QB for 2011? For the sake of argument lets assume Dalton and CP aren't options.

McNabb

Hasselbeck

Bulger

I'll take Hasselback. He knows the system, and with all of the weapons he could have some success.

You CAN'T sign any of them. They have all proven to be injury-prone over the past few years, and behind this O-Line (unless they add someone once the lockout is lifted) these injury-prone QB's won't make it more than 3 games TOPS......

For all of the "Don't trade Palmer club", you guys should be wanting MB to have him sit on the bench behind Dalton to really show him a lesson.

Yeah, that'll show him a lesson, AND THE FANS TOO WHEN THEY GO 4-12 AGAIN !!!!

I don't give a sh*t if he hurt anybody's feelings by his frustration with the Organization, he still gives the Bengals the best chance to win NOW (with a much easier schedule this year). I just want them to win, and Carson gives them the best chance of doing that. I don't want to sit through another 4-12 season.

Hate him if you like, but he didn't pull an Ochocinco. He NEVER went to the media, and even though the media has been hounding him, he has NEVER slammed the organization publicly. He took his feelings to Mike Brown. Don't you think you'd be frustrated if you were stuck on this miserable franchise? And before you say it, yes, he did sign an extension in 2005, but HE NEVER WENT TO THE BENGALS FOR AN EXTENSION, THEY CAME TO HIM TO REDUCE THE SALARY CAP # and add years.....And you REALLY think he wasn't lied to by Mike Brown as to which way the franchise was headed? I'm sure Mikey Boy made all kinds of promises his b*tch ass didn't keep.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2274314

If Brat were still OC, then yes, Carson would (objectively speaking) give the Bengals the best chance to win, but I'm not sure there's all that much advantage in having him over Dalton given the complete offensive rewrite.

I, for one, bear Palmer no ill will. But I agree with Army, it's time to move on.