7th Round #2: Jay Finley, RB, Baylor

ArmyBengal

Finley's a strange mix. His pro-day workout numbers were terrible on the change of direction stuff (3 cone = 7.39? ugh) and his speed is so-so, which doesn't sound like an outside runner at all. yet he ripped off very long runs against top opponents: 69 yarder vs. Texas, 69 yarder vs. A&M, 50 yarder vs. Oklahoma. maybe he sees open field well, like a KO returner.

his jumping is off the charts. 40 inch vertical, 11 foot broad jump. some teams like that near goal line.

You draft for value in rds.6-7. Every once in a while you find a diamond in the rough but usually these guys can contribute on ST's.

Now I disagree with this pick because there was better value on the board, but our coaches valued this guy a lot higher than he probably is.

I think you go for the off the field problem guys in the 6th and 7th... (Scott, L. Blount, a few more) we could have had Mcdaniel out of clemson.. And why the hell did we not get the guy from BC? He is just getting his feet back but he was top 10 two years ago

If this guy isn't better than Scott, he's destined for practice squad duties.

He's was one of many (and not the best available) 3rd down backs.

The WCO utilizes the RB as a pass catcher more often than we have seen recently. I'd say he is a pass catching option that Gruden must have seen something in. I'm pumped to see if Gruden can actually use Scott the way he should be used, Brat wasted him.

I hope they resign Leonard for short yardage and keep two third down/hands RB's for this new offense.

I dont know this kid, if there were better option, than shame on the draft team, but I would bet Gruden liked this kid better. Hopefully he has a good eye for talent in his scheme.

If Gruden just HAD TO HAVE a kid that didn't even have a draft grade because he was thought to be an UDFA from the start, I'm not sure.

There were at least 6 more RB's that were assigned draft grades and two right off the top sound like a better way to go.

Again, I'm not all angry about it, just confused to the thought process.

Locke from Kentucky and Devine from West Virginia were still there.

While they are smaller, I would think they had to present more upside.

Speaking of the Kentucky RB Locke, he was indeed drafted by a UFL team during their draft.

When he was told he was drafted by the Omaha Nighthawks, Locke had this to say:

"I'm not going to that sh*t !!!"

I guess there's no crushing his dreams.

Sign him up coach !!!