I like this pick almost as well at Boling

2 way safety - check

good size/speed ratio for the bruising AFC North - check

sure tackler - check check!

durable - check

fearless and aggressive - check

high motor - check check check!

has experience playing corner - check

lord, he might just start (probably at SS rather than FS) on this team of brittle 30+ year old safeties

what's not to like for a him being 5th round pick?

-----------------

Robert Sands

SS, West Virginia

6-foot-4, 217 pounds

Projection: Rounds 3-4

Scouting Reports

From NFL.com:

Sands is a well-rounded safety prospect with rare size, good speed, and a physical mentality and could become an excellent starter in the NFL. Can erase the deep half and hold up in center field. Makes a lot of plays on the ball with his range, large frame and good hands. On-field awareness is solid but still developing. Tough player who fills quickly in run support, will take on blockers, and supplies an intimidating presence over the middle in coverage. Main flaw is a lack of short-area quickness and fluidity in man coverage. Sands could hear his name called early on Day 2.

Strengths: Sands is a tall, rangy, high-cut safety. Speed is better than average. Covers a lot of ground after reaching top speed. Can play the point or deep half. Huge catch radius and good hands to pull down the tough interception. Willing, aggressive and productive in run support and coverage over the middle. Sure-tackler. Displays solid awareness.

Weaknesses: Like most high-cut athletes, suffers from some hip stiffness. Struggles a bit in transition. Not a good match-up against shifty slot receivers in man coverage. Instincts and ability to jump routes are adequate but still improving. Struggles to break down and make tackles in space at times.

From National Football Post:

A tall, long-armed safety prospect that has a strong frame and plays with a real passion for the game. Brings it every week and isn't a guy who is afraid to throw his body around. Displays impressive pop and power as a striker, lowers his pad level into contact, wraps well through the play and consistently brings his legs. Does a nice job filling the alley when asked to attack downhill and is a good open-field tackler. Isn't as impressive in pursuit. Struggles to consistently take proper angles, will under run plays and is forced at times to open his hips and use his straight-line speed to track his man down toward the sideline.

From CBS Sports:

Strengths: Tall, wiry but strong. Has speed to reach either sideline to prevent big plays. Length affects passing lanes on the blitz and running down the seam. Plays with attitude on every snap. Likes to make the big shoulder-first hit and churn his legs to stop ballcarriers' forward progress. Covers running backs on wheel routes and can handle tight ends in man coverage. Aggressive filling to stop the run, attacks plays behind the line when playing the box. Long arms allow him to wrap up most ballcarriers when technique is good. Fair ball skills and straight-line speed to intercept jump balls and late throws over the middle.

Weaknesses: Height and aggressive style put him at a disadvantage when breaking down to tackle in space. Slides off the target because he leaves his feet or bends at the waist making tackles. Slow, high backpedal. Takes time to transition from pedal to attack. Long-striding running style does not allow him to change direction quickly; must throttle down more quickly. Overaggressive, gets moved by quarterbacks' eyes too easily. Instincts and ability to diagnose play are questionable. Makes easy picks but struggles to catch balls outside his frame.

From Sideline Scouting:

Positives: Tremendous size for a defensive back, has long arms and big hands, will have no problem winning jump-ball battles against most receivers... Possesses pretty good speed; mix of size and speed a big positive for the position... Recorded five interceptions in 2009, has the ability to go get the football in the air... Durability is not a concern, has not missed a game due to injury... Has experience playing cornerback, is a versatile player who matches up well against tall receivers... Changes direction pretty well, takes a good plant step and explodes out of it, shows pretty quick footwork... Has the ability to make big hits, is a fairly sure tackler with good pop at contact... Is pretty quick to read and react at the snap, does not take many false steps... Can cover a lot of ground in zone coverage, is a long strider with the ability to fly all over the field... Very high motor, gets involved in every play, does not give up on plays... Size will intrigue some NFL teams and perhaps entice an early-round flier due to physicality, attitude and upside.

Negatives: Could stand to take better angles when coming up in run support, plays fast, but a little out of control at times... Man coverage skills need improvement, will have trouble sticking with quicker receivers on crisp routes... Hips look a little stiff, has good footwork, but does not turn and run well enough to be reliable in man coverage on slot receivers... Will get out of position at times when anticipating plays, can be fooled by play action.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have preferred McDaniel, but Sands is big, fast, and willing in run support. I'll take it.

I actually REALLY liked Robert Sands, and couldn't really understand why he dropped so low? I've seen the dude play, and he DEFINITELY has talent, I just hope Zimmer knows how to use it. Don't think West Virginia's D really utilized his talents.

I am Happy with this pick.

2 Rounds in a Row? WOW

I like this pick almost as well at Boling

2 way safety - check

good size/speed ratio for the bruising AFC North - check

sure tackler - check check!

durable - check

fearless and aggressive - check

high motor - check check check!

has experience playing corner - check

lord, he might just start (probably at SS rather than FS) on this team of brittle 30+ year old safeties

what's not to like for a him being 5th round pick?

-----------------

I'm with you TJ, I REALLY like Robert Sands, and for those don't yet.....you will. I don't think he was used right (or coached right) at West Virginia. I think this is a guy Zimmer can do a lot with. Surprised he went that low (regardless of projections) because I obviously saw a lot more talent there than the scouts did.

VERY GOOD PICK

I couldn't be happier that we took Sands. He was my pet prospect going into this draft and I didn't dare hope that the Bengals would get him. He was my favorite safety in this draft class. Love his size, range, and hitting ability. Great value in Rd 5. The Predator.

I couldn't be happier that we took Sands. He was my pet prospect going into this draft and I didn't dare hope that the Bengals would get him. He was my favorite safety in this draft class. Love his size, range, and hitting ability. Great value in Rd 5. The Predator.

For our sake I hope you're right.

No... Too many players are called 'The Predator'. I think SandMan will do just fine! :rolleyes:

How about:

"Random Tall Draft Pick We Hope Does Well" ??

Maybe that's to long of a nickname...

Random? He's been projected in many mock drafts going to the Bengals for a while now. I can honestly say I'm not surprised one bit about him being in stripes.

While he is fast and big and can he ever hit, he'll have a LOT to learn as far as coverage skills and where he needs to be on defense and what he needs to do. WVU plays that weird 3-3-5 odd stack defense. Usually one of the safties (quite often Sands) actually plays more like a linebacker. I can't see him starting next year. Especially with no offseason workouts. But he certainly has the potential to be good.

How about:

"Random Tall Draft Pick We Hope Does Well" ??

Maybe that's to long of a nickname...

Random? He's been projected in many mock drafts going to the Bengals for a while now. I can honestly say I'm not surprised one bit about him being in stripes.

Just a poor attempt at humor. Disregard.

Feel free to insert another word or words of choice to the long nickname.

Maybe, "Late Round Projected Tall Draft Pick We Hope Does Well" ??

Something tells me that's not much better...

• 2 weeks later...

While he is fast and big and can he ever hit, he'll have a LOT to learn as far as coverage skills and where he needs to be on defense and what he needs to do. WVU plays that weird 3-3-5 odd stack defense. Usually one of the safties (quite often Sands) actually plays more like a linebacker. I can't see him starting next year. Especially with no offseason workouts. But he certainly has the potential to be good.

This is a year we can't really expect any rookie to contribute much but if nothing else he may make some plays on STs and possibly knock a ball loose here and there in limited action and that'd be fine by me