4th Round: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

ArmyBengal

I think the Bengals may have laid an egg last year with Smith. Not totally sure yet.

Smith?

last Year?

You mean the Flesh Zeppelin from two years back, not last year?

Smith has been the egg-equivalent of that thing Sigourney Weaver torched with her flame-gun, in hat one movie out in space...or something.

If Smith gets his act toghter and actully starts focusing on football, the o-line could pretty freakin good. So its about time he gets his act toghter because he could be great!

Something has changed, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

What's changed is that they are finally moving on.

The team built around Chad, TJ and Palmer peaked in 2005 and imploded due to injury in 2006, starting with Palmer's knee in the playoff game. But the Bengals have spent the last five years trying to revive its corpse, even as more and more pieces fell away or walked out.

Feels to me like they have finally accepted that it's over. TJ's gone, Ochocinco is a poor shadow of Chad Johnson, Palmer's quit. Time to get on with the future.

Something has changed, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

What's changed is that they are finally moving on.

What choice did they have?

Marvins remarks about not wanting to talk a player into coming back if he doesn't want to play might be the most telling and bluntly honest remark anyone wearing Bengal stripes has said in months. In a flash this team shifted from waiting nervously for a reluctant hero to return to a suprisingly firm "we don't want you back". And for emphasis Mike Brown shifts from a hard no-trade stance to a softer chewier position.

All that's left to do now is the ritual sacrifice of Chad Ochocinco.

Can I say again how much I love this pick ??

Plays with a little nastiness ?? Not like we can't use that on the o-line huh ??

Smart ?? Leader ?? Versatile ??

When you take into consideration he carried a second round grade and was expected to go in the 3rd, the pick presents HUGE value.

He was an OT at Georgia and teams simply didn't know how he would fit.

Put him next to Whit and I'm VERY happy.

Can I say again how much I love this pick ??

Plays with a little nastiness ?? Not like we can't use that on the o-line huh ??

Smart ?? Leader ?? Versatile ??

When you take into consideration he carried a second round grade and was expected to go in the 3rd, the pick presents HUGE value.

He was an OT at Georgia and teams simply didn't know how he would fit.

Put him next to Whit and I'm VERY happy.

He actully played alot of Guard also, he was coming out as a Guard. He can 3 postion on the o-line, this was the best pick they could make at this time, i love it.

I think Reggie Stephens (OL drafted late last year, the other guy, you know - not Otis) will surprise everyone this year

I suspect they will try to sign 3 or 4 undrafted lineman

Still a chance they might take one in 7 as well, tho I think RB and K should be what the address with those two picks

Admit it.....You just love guys named Reggie right?

I mean, first Reggie Myles, now Reggie Stephens....If I'm not mistaken, for a very short period of time, you even liked Reggie McNeal.....you know, before the incident with Odell's DUI driving Reggie's SUV with Henry in it.

I think Reggie Stephens (OL drafted late last year, the other guy, you know - not Otis) will surprise everyone this year

I suspect they will try to sign 3 or 4 undrafted lineman

Still a chance they might take one in 7 as well, tho I think RB and K should be what the address with those two picks

I think Reggie is going to start on the line this year. That's how much I like what I saw of him last year.

• 2 weeks later...

/>http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2011/05/14/reedy-most-veterans-have-playbooks-clint-boling-to-join-offensiv

Good to see Boling getting some preparation with the rest of the team.

I'm hoping he steals the LG starting job, and that Collins starts at RT over Roland (assuming A.Smith continues to bust).

My personal opinion is that Collins is hugely underrated and he has the athleticism and mean streak to do very well. Simply put the offense produced better when he was on the field.

I don't know why they report on rookies getting the playbook.

Does anyone think a veteran player with the playbook isn't going to make a copy ??

"I know you are probably going to be the starting QB Andy, but I just can't give you the playbook and break the rules."

Yeah right....

Does anyone think a veteran player with the playbook isn't going to make a copy ??

"I know you are probably going to be the starting QB Andy, but I just can't give you the playbook and break the rules."

Yeah right....

Exactly. But that's also why I'm glad to hear Boling is practicing with the vets. I have relatively high hopes that he'll be able to start, and the sooner he learns the playbook, the better chance he has of upgrading the O-Line.

Yeah right....

Exactly. But that's also why I'm glad to hear Boling is practicing with the vets. I have relatively high hopes that he'll be able to start, and the sooner he learns the playbook, the better chance he has of upgrading the O-Line.

I wonder how much the O-line assignments will change with the change in offense. I'm guessing the pass blocking will be completely different but the run blocking not so much different.

Yeah right....

I'm right there with you Derek.

I wanted Boling at the top of the 3rd, but thought he might go at the end of the 2nd. I thought that because he has the ability to come in and challenge for a starters spot (Livings, Mathis) right away. To get him at the top of the 4th made me VERY happy.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/696194-protecting-dalton-questions-remain-about-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line

Looks like A.Smith is still having foot issues, and IMO as long as Cook and Livings are starters, this O-Line has a very low ceiling.

I said it earlier... but let's start the season with Boling and Collins starting. They can't play any worse than Roland and Livings did last season.