2nd Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

It is what it is. Since qb will be a hot topic today, here is the Insider stuff on Dalton (1 is exceptional 2 is above average 3 is average 4 is below average and 5 is marginal on the system used):

Toughness/Leadership 1 A tough competitor. Has a 'refuse to lose' mentality. Mentally and physically tough. Has matured into a leadership role. Teammates swear by him. Proven winner. Four-year starter with a 34-3 record as a starter in final three seasons. Three-time bowl game MVP, including Rose Bowl MVP in victory over Wisconsin in 2011.

Intelligence/Decision Making 2 Will have a learning curve coming from shotgun heavy spread-formation offense that feeds him a lot of pre-snap reads from the sideline. But he is a gym rat with very good natural football intelligence. Knows how to make progression reads and effectively checks down to second and third targets. Consistently looks off the safeties and does not telegraph many of his throws. Does a great job of keeping his head down the field when scrambling. Has improved as a decision maker but still makes some questionable decisions throwing into traffic. A bit streaky in this area but made strides as a senior.

Accuracy 2 Accuracy is good and can continue to improve with some small tweaks to his footwork. He throws off his back foot too often. Also gets back foot stuck in cement at times, which prevents him from facing his target and throwing with good balance. Shows the ability to anticipate passing windows and to throw to a spot. One of the more accurate passers in the country when on the move. Majority of his throws are within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage but he flashes ability to throw accurately down the field.

Release/Arm Strength 3 A bit of a three-quarter delivery. Lack of height combined with three-quarter delivery is a bit concerning for batted down balls. Gets the ball out quickly, though. Arm strength is adequate but not ideal. Gets good zip on intermediate throws. Deep ball has a tendency to sail a bit at times but he can make all the NFL throws as long as he gets the ball out with good timing.

Pocket Mobility 2 Lacks speed and explosive burst to be a running threat. But is quicker than fast and his pocket presence has improved tremendously. Shows ability to buy more time in the pocket by sidestepping or stepping up versus the rush. Throws the ball effectively while on the run. Also a tough, heady runner. Knows where the sticks are located and fights hard to pick up the first down when he takes off running.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the Insider stuff on Mallett (same scale as above):

Toughness/Leadership 3 Do not question his physical toughness. However, there are some concerns regarding mental toughness. Made strides as a leader in 2010 but not consistent in that department. Led come-from-behind victories versus Georgia and LSU in 2010 but also suffered second-half meltdowns versus Alabama and Ohio State.

Intelligence/Decision Making 4 Has experience in a pro-style system both at Michigan and Arkansas. Appears to see the entire field at times and can get to 2nd or 3rd progressions when protected. However, he locks onto primary targets at times and trusts his arm far too much. Is inconsistent versus the blitz. Makes too many mistakes under pressure. Also has had meltdowns when pressure of the game builds second halves versus Alabama and Ohio State during 2010-'11 are prime examples. Also received a personal foul versus Texas A&M.

Accuracy 2 Overall accuracy is good but still has room for improvement. Displays good mechanics and throws with great balance. Short accuracy is above-average but can force receivers to open up on crossing routes on occasion. Needs to learn to take some heat off of fastball at times. Display very good touch with fade throws and can drill the ball into tight spots down the field. Knows when to put the ball on a rope to the WRs back shoulder on fade-to-comeback route. Can miss high on occasion with intermediate throws when feet aren't set to target. Deep ball accuracy is very good but can put more air underneath throws on occasion.

Release/Arm Strength 1 Smooth over-the-top release. Follows through very well. Ball jumps off hand and possesses arguably the strongest arm of any quarterback we have evaluated in the 2011 class. Displays ability to make throw downfield off of back foot. Rarely has ball batted down at line of scrimmage.

Pocket Mobility 4 Builds speed as he goes and shows ability to make accurate throws with great velocity while on the run both right and left. However, he lacks good initial quickness and struggles to effectively sidestep the rush and reset his feet inside the pocket. Has long legs, which leads to long stride. Really struggles when he needs to short-stride and get the ball out quickly due to oncoming pass rush.

I've been thinking that the Bengals might surprise with Mallett.

the Samoan,even with the knee, is the safe pick. he's my preference. eventually I want an all-Samoan defense coached by Samoa Samoa.

no way Mike Brown goes safety this early. he doesn't like to pay that position. CB, maybe. Brandon Harris will be a fine NFL player.

I think those are both reasonable evaluations. Even if you're a fan of Mallett, I just don't necessarily feel that his skillset is a good fit for this scheme.

And the Insider for two other quarterbacks who have been talked about on here:

Kaepernik

Toughness/Leadership 1 No questioning his leadership and command of the huddle. Even keeled on the field and does not display a lot of emotion. A tough competitor that will fight for four quarters. Will play through injury and has shown ability to rally his team from behind (Boise State 2010). Extremely competitive and willing to pay the price. Teammates have utmost respect for him.

Intelligence/Decision Making 4 He has good FBI's and is a hard worker. Shows creativity on the field and makes many positive yards out of plays that initially broke down. However, he needs a lot of molding before he's ready to compete for playing time in the NFL. Comes from a 'Pistol' formation scheme that features mostly simplistic reads. Will need time to adapt to pro-style offense and making reads while dropping from under center. Needs to show a better understanding of how he is protected, especially when teams bring more defenders then protection can handle. Will hold on to ball and scramble instead of beating blitz with hot read. Will dangle the ball out when scrambling (1st QTR fumble lost vs. BC 2010 is prime example).

Accuracy 3 Flashes the ability to make all the necessary throws with accuracy when his mechanics are sound but overall accuracy remains inconsistent. Must learn to take mph's off his fastball and to throw with better touch underneath. Underneath throws do not appear to be natural to him. At his best when he can rear back and deliver the heat on an intermediate route. Puts good touch and projection on intermediate sideline throws comebacks, outs, etc. Is inconsistent as a deep ball passer. Shows good touch and trajectory on some vertical throws but others come out too flat and do not give receivers much room for error to adjust.

Release/Arm Strength 2 Herky-jerk delivery. Almost resembles that of a javelin toss. Takes longer than it should to get from Point A to Point B and may need to tweak the delivery in the NFL (if possible). However, he does possess exceptional arm strength, which helps to compensate for the elongated delivery. He can drive the ball down the field and fit the ball into tight spots that most QBs in this class can't. Had highest velocity (59 mph) at the combine.

Pocket Mobility 2 Smooth athlete with excellent top-end speed. Can break contain and buy time. Also a threat to run when play breaks down. However, he lacks elite short-area quickness. He's more effective stepping up versus the outside rush than he is sidestepping the inside rush and resetting his feet. Does not always keep eyes downfield when rush avoiding and is too quick to tuck and run

and, for later on if they don't go QB this round, the Alabama qb McElroy:

Toughness/Leadership 1 Is willing to hang in the pocket and take a hit. Excellent leader. Commands a huddle. Is mentally and physically tough.

Intelligence/Decision Making 2 Hard worker with very good football intelligence. Knows his physical limitations and generally plays within himself. He does a great job of keeping his eyes downfield. Knows how to read coverage and makes quick decisions. Very good anticipation skills. Generally shows good command of two-minute drill and shows good time management skills. Only knock here is his occasional lapse in field vision.

Accuracy 2 Above average accuracy on short to intermediate throws. Technically sound. Does a very good job with his footwork and release. Shows good balance as a passer. Knows how to lead his receivers to a spot and can throw to a spot before receiver comes out of break. Below average accuracy on deep ball, which tends to hang

Release/Arm Strength 4 Has a very quick, compact release. However, he shows below average arm strength. Can get adequate zip on intermediate throws. Deep out route velocity is only adequate. Deep ball tends to sail. Does not shows the arm strength to drive the ball vertically in the NFL, especially in windy conditions.

Pocket Mobility 3 Very good pocket presence. Knows how to step up and sidestep the rush. Adequate initial quickness when shuffling inside the pocket. Is not much of a threat to run, though. Is slower than most QB prospects and does not show elusiveness. Also needs to do a better job of protecting the ball when he tucks and runs.

I think those are the 4 we have talked about the most who are still left at qb, anyway.

I was on record as being adamant that they not take a qb in round 1, so I am pleased. If they go ahead and take one now, I am also perfectly fine with it.

No reason to ensure we get Dalton or Mallett by trading up a couple spots. Just sit back and see what happens and take the BPA that falls in our lap. While I wouldn't mind Dalton, why push it when free agency will happen ?? There are other (see better) options going that route. Why anyone wants any other QB in the 2nd is beyond me. DON'T PUSH.

this

If they really think that Dalton or Mallet is their QB Of The [echo effect] Future...Future...Future [/echo effect] I wouldn't mind them trading up to the top of the round. It would cost about a 6th, i.e. a practice squad player. But from what I've heard out of the team it doesn't sound to me like they are chomping at the QB bit. Instead, I get the distinct impression that even if Dalton or Mallet is there, they'll pass and instead look for a new starter in free agency. I think they figure that with all these young QBs going in the first there will be plenty of guys to choose from and one of them can serve as a stopgap until some better draft options come along. I think that's an invitation to return to the kind of QB wasteland we had in the 90s, but as usual, I'm not calling the shots.

If they really think that Dalton or Mallet is their QB Of The [echo effect] Future...Future...Future [/echo effect] I wouldn't mind them trading up to the top of the round. It would cost about a 6th, i.e. a practice squad player. But from what I've heard out of the team it doesn't sound to me like they are chomping at the QB bit. Instead, I get the distinct impression that even if Dalton or Mallet is there, they'll pass and instead look for a new starter in free agency. I think they figure that with all these young QBs going in the first there will be plenty of guys to choose from and one of them can serve as a stopgap until some better draft options come along. I think that's an invitation to return to the kind of QB wasteland we had in the 90s, but as usual, I'm not calling the shots.

I agree, and I believe that Bowers is the pick. Now if one of these two fall to round 3, then I think you cant pass them up. But If I werre the Bengals I would be making a play for Kolb, or even McNabb god willing.

I don't like Dalton's 6'2" height. I see batted balls and issues seeing the field over our big boys up front. Count me as hoping we don't end up with this red head

from what I've heard out of the team it doesn't sound to me like they are chomping at the QB bit

supposedly they tried to trade for GB's first rounder. I figure that's a QB move-- an attempt to get in front of Bills and whomever swaps for NE's pick.

Did they? I missed that rumor.

I'd be surprised if Dalton didn't end up in Cincy, but I'm not invested in it either way. Bowers, Hudson, Paea, William, Moore, another o-lineman, all okay with me.

Kirwan is projecting Dalton to Buffalo and Mallett to Cincy:

/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f91e0e/article/day-2-mock-draft-dalton-mallett-go-in-first-three-picks

Vic Carucci is reporting via twitter that there's "increasing buzz" about Mallett this a.m. and someone may trade with the Pats to get him...as always, believe at your own risk.

/>http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f91e0e/article/day-2-mock-draft-dalton-mallett-go-in-first-three-picks

Vic Carucci is reporting via twitter that there's "increasing buzz" about Mallett this a.m. and someone may trade with the Pats to get him...as always, believe at your own risk.

I pray someone trades with the patriots for Mallett then.

I think that it could be the Dolphins or Raiders. Raiders were rumored to be trying to trade into the first round to get a quarterback.

In a perfect world they're both off the board when the Bengals pick.