1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

I hope it's Fairley - guy was unblockable in the National Championship game.

Well, he was certainly unblocked. Unblockable? Not sure.

This. I'm not 100% opposed to Fairley, but Fairley's success in that game was largely due to the fact that he was the read man most of the time (at least on his big plays) and Darron Thomas was blowing option reads.

Jones is a better fit for our scheme but who cares about that really.

I care. And IMHO Julio Jones is less talented and less explosive possession type of WR ala Boldin or Housh incapable of dominating or consistently getting open outside of the numbers. In short, a great #2 WR prospect who would be a great fit on any team that doesn't actually need a true #1 WR and can settle for a physically gifted but less explosive playmaker.

So I guess the question guys like you have to answer is why should the Bengals settle for a lesser player when it could so easily have AJ Green.

This. I'm not 100% opposed to Fairley, but Fairley's success in that game was largely due to the fact that he was the read man most of the time (at least on his big plays) and Darron Thomas was blowing option reads.

Prompting the exchange between Gruden and Fairley where Gruden rather pointedly asks Fairley what his job is when matched up against air. Fairley responds..."Make the play"

Ding!

One thing I learned from Bill Parcells draft special the other night and that is to listen to the beat writers because they actually know what is going on. I am getting the feeling that Buffalo might be selecting Patrick Peterson with their first pick. Don't be shocked if that is what they do fellas.

Agreed. Most of the plays I saw him make were on blown assignments when nobody blocked him and he was able to get into the backfield untouched.

Only Von Miller and Dareus grade out as well as Green and i've already given the reason why Von Miller shouldn't be the pick.

Dareus is the ONLY other player I wouldn't have as much issue with at #4.

Peterson is a fine player, but he doesn't want to play safety and why not just keep Joseph when they had the chance ??

I've said it numerous times.

Why pick Peterson and let Joseph walk, when you can have Joseph AND AJ Green ??

That is the reason this f*cking organization continues to fail.

I want AJ Green or Dareus at #4 and will be VERY happy with either one.

Trade down and target Robert Quinn as option #2 not a f*cking QB.

Only Von Miller and Dareus grade out as well as Green and i've already given the reason why Von Miller shouldn't be the pick.

Dareus is the ONLY other player I wouldn't have as much issue with at #4.

Peterson is a fine player, but he doesn't want to play safety and why not just keep Joseph when they had the chance ??

I've said it numerous times.

Why pick Peterson and let Joseph walk, when you can have Joseph AND AJ Green ??

That is the reason this f*cking organization continues to fail.

I want AJ Green or Dareus at #4 and will be VERY happy with either one.

Trade down and target Robert Quinn as option #2 not a f*cking QB.

But in regards to Peterson, he is the BEST VALUE. He is two players for the price of one. He is the best player in the draft. But that is just how I think I guess.

And you keep mentioning that most of our receivers contracts are up after this year but shouldn't that be the same for our DB's? JJ and Hall will both be up. You cant keep em both. I know JJ said he wants to stay, but does he? I mean his leader, captain doesnt even want to play for this team so why would he? Plus has he done anything to earn the monster contract he will ask for? No he hasn't.

And the reason why this team sucks is for spending high draft picks on stupid players(Green). You can get a reciever like Little, or Cobb later in the draft. The bust rate for first round WR's is too high and do you really think Green will succeed here? With Marvin and SoP in charge? No, no he can't.

Peterson is a fine player, but he doesn't want to play safety...

I doubt he could play safety at a level high enough to justify the pick. He's never played the position before, doesn't want to try, and based upon his Wonderlic scores he lacks the intelligence needed to read offenses or produce much if backed off of the LOS.

FWIW, there are plenty of people, myself included, who think Texas CB Aaron Williams would be a far superior and vastly cheaper safety prospect than Peterson.

Will remind people again that Marvin Lewis has drafted 1 Pro Bowler his entire tenure as Bengals Head Coach.

Dont Get your hopes up with Green.

That's totally meaningless. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.

Justin smith never made the Pro Bowl with the Bengals. He goes to San Fran and suddenly makes it his first year. Takeo Spikes never made the Pro Bowl here. He goes to buffalo and suddenly makes it his first year. Eric Steinbach never made the Pro Bowl here, but suddenly he goes to Cleveland and makes it his first year. They didn't suddenly become great players. Willie anderson was the most dominant RT in the game for most of his career and he never made it until the latter part of his career. I could go on and on...

We had the #4 defense in the entire NFL in 2009. We had 2 CBs who tied for second in the NFL in interceptions. We won our division, and still had NOBODY selected to the Pro Bowl.

I could not care less about Pro Bowl selections. It's not indicative of anything. If AJ Green becomes the best WR in the NFL, who cares if he doesn't win a popularity contest?

Will remind people again that Marvin Lewis has drafted 1 Pro Bowler his entire tenure as Bengals Head Coach.

If your assumption is that Marvin Lewis is the sole reason for the lack of Pro Bowl appearances, then it applies to any and every player the Bengals will select, not just AJ Green. So, given your complaint, who cares who the Bengals pick? You're a fatalist.

As to your question as to why JJ wants to stay in Cincy... he's been quite open with his reasons. He views Marvin as a father figure, and wants to play for him.

As to your question as to why JJ wants to stay in Cincy... he's been quite open with his reasons. He views Marvin as a father figure, and wants to play for him.

Yeah he is a father figure until dollar amounts are thrown around, then we will see.

If AJ Green becomes the best WR in the NFL, who cares if he doesn't win a popularity contest?

Bengal fans will care. More specifically, the wing of this teams fanbase who now attempt to brand AJ Green a draft bust even before his name is called will care very much.

I think we all know where this one is going. A message board future filled with raving little dips**ts endlessly criticizing a very good football player to the point that the player/fan relationship is doomed. Or if you prefer, poisoned. And all of it based upon the thin and deliberately impossible to prove claim that the player hasn't, won't, and in fact can't possibly live up to his own lofty draft status.

Sometimes I think we get the football team we deserve.

If AJ Green becomes the best WR in the NFL, who cares if he doesn't win a popularity contest?

Bengal fans will care. More specifically, the wing of this teams fanbase who now attempt to brand AJ Green a draft bust even before his name is called will care very much.

I think we all know where this one is going. A message board future filled with raving little dips**ts endlessly criticizing a very good football player to the point that the player/fan relationship is doomed. Or if you prefer, poisoned. And all of it based upon the thin and deliberately impossible to prove claim that the player hasn't, won't, and in fact can't possibly live up to his own lofty draft status.

Sometimes I think we get the football team we deserve.

He is getting drafted by the Bengals in the first round. Look at the track record. He is doomed to bust. I thought you would get that by now?

If your assumption is that Marvin Lewis is the sole reason for the lack of Pro Bowl appearances, then it applies to any and every player the Bengals will select, not just AJ Green. So, given your complaint, who cares who the Bengals pick? You're a fatalist.

I'm suddenly reminded of our earlier conversation about nihilism. Since then I've stumbled over the news that some nihilists use Tom Petty's song "It'll All Work Out" as an anthem. This news pleased me. Best, it seems oddly appropriate on draft day.

"It'll all work out eventually. Maybe better with him than here with me."

AJ Green afraid of contact. You press the guy and you take him out of the game. Watch the Colorado game again. Yeah he had some cute catches but when they put Jimmy Smith on him and he started pressing him it wasnt good for Green. It has been like that his whole career. Plus there isnt a "Love" for the game that top picks should have. Buyer beware.

I'm sorry, but THE SAME Colorado game where he had 7 Receptions for 119 Yards and 2 TD's????? Also 1 Carry for 40 yards???? Yes, WATCH THE COLORADO GAME AGAIN....AND REALIZE THAT IT WAS HIS 1ST GAME OF THE YEAR AFTER SITTING OUT THE 1ST FOUR GAMES, AND HIS QB WAS AARON MURRAY....A FRESHMAN.....IN THEIR 1ST GAME TOGETHER.....

I've noticed a disturbing trend with Whur. He states an opinion, and then backs it up with things that sound like facts, but aren't facts at all. Instead, they are small fragments of information... omitting the information that contradicts his misguided opinions.

There is a term for this kind of behavior. It's is called "lying." I think he hopes that people are lazy enough to take him at his word, rather than to fact check his statements. He's done it 3 times in the last 2 days.

As for AJ having difficulty with physical corners... even if true, there simply aren't that many CBs in the league that are capable. Chad, while in his prime, had the same problem. The Steelers would hit him early and often... and Chad, being weak-minded would eventually hang his head, droop his shoulders, pout, and finish the game with mediocre production.

AJ Green hasn't shown that tendency. He appears to be a very hard worker, lacks the diva personality, and is a lot bigger and stronger than Chad ever was. So, I'm unconcerned.

babyshanks +1

That's totally meaningless. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.

Justin smith never made the Pro Bowl with the Bengals. He goes to San Fran and suddenly makes it his first year. Takeo Spikes never made the Pro Bowl here. He goes to buffalo and suddenly makes it his first year. Eric Steinbach never made the Pro Bowl here, but suddenly he goes to Cleveland and makes it his first year.

Yeah, the Pro Bowl is bullsh*t. Fan voting is a joke really. here's why: Teams with larger fan bases like the Cowboys and Patriots get like 10 players every year when they honestly deserve maybe 2 or 3, why? cuz losers in New England and Dallas sit at their damn computers voting 87,000 times EACH.

Let's face it, The Bengals don't have a very big fan base outside the Cincy area (I'm one of the few in Cali) so most "fans" don't know about guys like Justin Smith, Takeo Spikes, and Eric Steinbach UNTIL they hit Free-Agency. See, the other teams know about these guys, and give them HUGE Contracts, AND I GUARANTEE YOU that's the first time some of those "fans" had heard of those guys. They when Ballot time comes around, they go "Hey, i remember that dude, he signed a $50 million Contract, he must be good" and cast their vote.

What a Joke fan voting is

Did the bengals ever mention Andy Daulton about liking him??? Could the bengals jump back in the first rd to pick him up, or another QB???? I would hope the Bengals trade back to get more picks if they are planning on trading back in the first round for a QB! I think its going to be a WR in the first, and either they are going to jump back in for the QB, or get there QB in the second so looks like offense first two rounds. If Green is off the board then they will Defense with the first pick

Did the bengals ever mention Andy Daulton about liking him??? Could the bengals jump back in the first rd to pick him up, or another QB???? I would hope the Bengals trade back to get more picks if they are planning on trading back in the first round for a QB! I think its going to be a WR in the first, and either they are going to jump back in for the QB, or get there QB in the second so looks like offense first two rounds. If Green is off the board then they will Defense with the first pick

No QB PLEASE !!!!

Don't waste the Pick. Too many potentially great players we can get at #4 and our 2nd RD pick could net us a Safety (Hello Rahim Moore) or a Guard to replace Bobby or Livings/Mathis (Rodney Hudson Maybe?)

There are just too many other holes to fill and a guy like Andy Daulton will NEVER be a good NFL QB. For the 1,897th Time, This QB Class Sucks!

Once Free Agency starts, go after Marc Bulger for a year, or even Hasselbeck......THEN JUMP ON LANDRY JONES IN 2012