1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Wouldn't be as big of a issue if we could trade Carson & Chad before/during the draft....

No Collective Bargaining Agreement in place means NO PLAYER TRADES...........The Bengals couldn't get sh*t THIS YEAR for Carson or Chad if they wanted to.

Erm have you not been reading the news,Judge ruled in players favor and then denied the stay...so players can be traded now it's just teams more likely won't do it because they are trying to fight the ruling and would be kinda counter productive to do so...But they still could :|

AJ Green afraid of contact. You press the guy and you take him out of the game. Watch the Colorado game again. Yeah he had some cute catches but when they put Jimmy Smith on him and he started pressing him it wasnt good for Green. It has been like that his whole career. Plus there isnt a "Love" for the game that top picks should have. Buyer beware.

I'm sorry, but THE SAME Colorado game where he had 7 Receptions for 119 Yards and 2 TD's????? Also 1 Carry for 40 yards???? Yes, WATCH THE COLORADO GAME AGAIN....AND REALIZE THAT IT WAS HIS 1ST GAME OF THE YEAR AFTER SITTING OUT THE 1ST FOUR GAMES, AND HIS QB WAS AARON MURRAY....A FRESHMAN.....IN THEIR 1ST GAME TOGETHER.....

You can make an argument about a couple of plays where Jimmy Smith may have "pressed" him, but AJ Green DOMINATED him (and Colorado) over the course of 60 minutes with a Freshman QB. Also, you can name on 1 hand how many NFL CB's are 6'2" 210lbs like Smith.....and guys like that are usually physical and play well within 5 yards....but get torched for 119 yards after that.....

Look, I like AJ Green A LOT, and there is only 1 knock I have on him.......The School he went to......You know, the same school that gave the Bengals Odel Thurman, David Pollack, and Robert Geathers......F U GEORGIA

Um no Jimmy Smith didnt cover him the entire game. Georgia had to move Green around so Colorado #2 corner was on him. That is why he had a big game. Jimmy Smith shut him down when he was on him.

so why didn't Colorado move Jimmy Smith when AJ green did if he was so effective vs him?

New OC coach plus revamp of the O overall = first two picks at least being offencive players IMO.

If coaches are happy that Jordan or LeFevour can perform then the first pick has got to be Green, if they don't then I see Gabbert being the choice.

AJ Green afraid of contact. You press the guy and you take him out of the game. Watch the Colorado game again. Yeah he had some cute catches but when they put Jimmy Smith on him and he started pressing him it wasnt good for Green. It has been like that his whole career. Plus there isnt a "Love" for the game that top picks should have. Buyer beware.

I'm sorry, but THE SAME Colorado game where he had 7 Receptions for 119 Yards and 2 TD's????? Also 1 Carry for 40 yards???? Yes, WATCH THE COLORADO GAME AGAIN....AND REALIZE THAT IT WAS HIS 1ST GAME OF THE YEAR AFTER SITTING OUT THE 1ST FOUR GAMES, AND HIS QB WAS AARON MURRAY....A FRESHMAN.....IN THEIR 1ST GAME TOGETHER.....

You can make an argument about a couple of plays where Jimmy Smith may have "pressed" him, but AJ Green DOMINATED him (and Colorado) over the course of 60 minutes with a Freshman QB. Also, you can name on 1 hand how many NFL CB's are 6'2" 210lbs like Smith.....and guys like that are usually physical and play well within 5 yards....but get torched for 119 yards after that.....

Look, I like AJ Green A LOT, and there is only 1 knock I have on him.......The School he went to......You know, the same school that gave the Bengals Odel Thurman, David Pollack, and Robert Geathers......F U GEORGIA

Um no Jimmy Smith didnt cover him the entire game. Georgia had to move Green around so Colorado #2 corner was on him. That is why he had a big game. Jimmy Smith shut him down when he was on him.

Also, the exact same argument can be made for your boy Julio Jones. He put up decent stats against LSU, but when Peterson was on him, he played press on him and shut him down. When they found ways to move him around and isolate him, he produced.

Oh yeah, HAPPY DRAFT DAY EVERYONE !!!

I figure if the women can have f*cking "Sweetest Day" (a made up Hallmark holiday) requiring us to buy sh*t for them (like Mother's Day's not enough) then we should have DRAFT DAY !!! It should be a day off work for all men, requiring to grill out, drink some beers (or drink of choice), watch the draft, and indulge in boobies (that's for you Billy).

Anyway...

The BIG question to me is will Mike Brown learn from the past. Here's what I know.

Cam and Blaine - Klingler and Akili. DON'T REACH for a QB. Shame on Geoff Hobson for even suggested the bust Blaine Gabbert

AJ Green - Warrick,Chad, and T.O. - There is a pattern of diva WR's that I hope Marvin has dealt with enough, and that Mike has learned is more disruptive than helpful. The team has never recovered from Chad's half-time blowup.

Patrick Peterson - Marvin loves tall CB's. JJ is a RFA. Hall and JJ have been a couple of the better Marvin picks

Von Miller - Marvin has never had a superstar LB with Cincy. This guy could help.

I just hope they have an actual board where they get the best guy available. Which mathematically can't be Gabbert or Newton.

Nice to see the analysts blast Von Miller to the Broncos for the fact you don't take a guy that high when you have to move him into a 4-3 scheme that will take time to adjust to when you could have a more scheme appropriate pick that would present more value. The same reason he shouldn't come to the Bengals if he's there at #4.

For what it's worth, if teams are going to pass on a potential "franchise" QB in Gabbert in the hopes of getting one in free agency, then why should we bother taking one at all ?? Going in another direction at the top of the 2nd and go get someone to fill the gap for a single season. There are enough decent FA QB's that I wouldn't mind seeing come in for a season, as opposed to reaching for one that's destined to be a backup. Backup QB would be nice, but give me McElroy in the 5th to fill that role, not someone at the top of the 2nd.

my 2 cents,

1. If Dareus somehow / some way slipped to 4 take him no question.

2. Trade down.

3. A.J.

4. I wouldn't cry if we took Gabbert and moved on.

5. Peterson (ok), or Fairley (big fatty risk imho).

Please lord shine down on us down trodden Bengal soles today! :cheers:

Nice to see the analysts blast Von Miller to the Broncos for the fact you don't take a guy that high when you have to move him into a 4-3 scheme that will take time to adjust to when you could have a more scheme appropriate pick that would present more value. The same reason he shouldn't come to the Bengals if he's there at #4.

For what it's worth, if teams are going to pass on a potential "franchise" QB in Gabbert in the hopes of getting one in free agency, then why should we bother taking one at all ?? Going in another direction at the top of the 2nd and go get someone to fill the gap for a single season. There are enough decent FA QB's that I wouldn't mind seeing come in for a season, as opposed to reaching for one that's destined to be a backup. Backup QB would be nice, but give me McElroy in the 5th to fill that role, not someone at the top of the 2nd.

This

I've noticed a disturbing trend with Whur. He states an opinion, and then backs it up with things that sound like facts, but aren't facts at all. Instead, they are small fragments of information... omitting the information that contradicts his misguided opinions.

There is a term for this kind of behavior. It's is called "lying." I think he hopes that people are lazy enough to take him at his word, rather than to fact check his statements. He's done it 3 times in the last 2 days.

As for AJ having difficulty with physical corners... even if true, there simply aren't that many CBs in the league that are capable. Chad, while in his prime, had the same problem. The Steelers would hit him early and often... and Chad, being weak-minded would eventually hang his head, droop his shoulders, pout, and finish the game with mediocre production.

AJ Green hasn't shown that tendency. He appears to be a very hard worker, lacks the diva personality, and is a lot bigger and stronger than Chad ever was. So, I'm unconcerned.

Anyone see the Gamechangers episode on NFL Network with the WR's ??

They had Green and Greg Little from UNC on there. Both were impressive and should we pass on Green in the first, Little is my target.

For what it's worth, when Irvin had the CB throw something a little different at Green, he just overpowered the guy and still got by him.

That is what I saw from Green whenever I saw him play last season. I didn't see a guy shying from contact.

I love the matchups we would get with his size and speed on the outside.

Gresham would be loving that pick.

If Ponder or the Redhead aren't there in the 2nd, they very well might do this.

You know, I have been swayed. While I would still prefer Miller, Peterson, Dareus, or Fairley. I just heard an arguement for Green that make a whole lot of sense.

AJ Green is a bigger faster stronger version of Chad Johnson without the diva personality. There is no question Green is a hard worker and is willing to listen to coaches, if Chad can succeed so can Green because Green is clearly a better athlete. He pales in comparision to Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson athleticly but Chad did well for us by being a solid technician (early) and being sudden in and out of his breaks and Green can do the same thing.

So here it is mea culpa, if Green is the pick I can live with that.

IF Gabbert is the pick the gloves come off, just letting y'all know.

Jones is a better fit for our scheme but who cares about that really. I love that one pretty one handed catch from Green. Welcome to Cincinnati Charles Rogers part II. Oh and wasn't Rogers the best WR to come out since Randy Moss, too? Weird.

I still don't get why Peterson who fills two needs is getting looked over.

Apparently, NFL Network is reporting that the Bengals are actively shopping the fourth pick.

Hardly suprising. Every team drafting in the Top5 not only wants to trade down but most, Bengals included, are openly attempting to dump the pick for less.

Most interesting to me is who the prospect is who is generating the most trade interest at #4. If the scuttlebutt is accurate it isn't one of the QB's that teams are willing to move UP for. It's AJ Green.

Jones is a better fit for our scheme but who cares about that really. I love that one pretty one handed catch from Green. Welcome to Cincinnati Charles Rogers part II. Oh and wasn't Rogers the best WR to come out since Randy Moss, too? Weird.

Again, Rogers didn't fail because of talent or style of play. He failed because of substance abuse (4 game suspension) and laziness. The coaching staff came out and said the reason they cut him was his terrible work ethic.

AJ Green has not exhibited any of those warning signs... so unless you have evidence to the contrary, shut the f**k up about the Charles Rogers comparison. Your comparison is invalid, because you are talking about on the field similarities when Rogers' problems were off the field.

So Hair, if we do stay put and take your man Green, what does round 2 and 3 look like to you, ideally?

For me there is no ideal plan. It's simply not possible now that this team finds itself shopping for a QB in an overheated marketplace. But ignorng that for a moment I'm still firmly in the camp arguing for BPA regardless of position....especially in the first two rounds. Because while I believe there's great depth in this draft I also believe there's a huge drop in quality after 40-45 players, and a team that overdrafts early will find itself settling for a much poorer overall draft if it knowingly and willingly targets need when other teams are busy plucking the most talented players.

FWIW, I love the idea of trading down from #4....but I'm not thrilled with the player the Bengals are said to be targeting after trading down.(Dalton) Rather, I'd prefer they target Gabe Carimi, Mike Pouncey, or a handful of defensive prospects. That said, if coupled by a trade down from #4 the thought of overdrafting a QB at 10-15 becomes far easier to embrace...if only because it improves the odds the Bengals get great value with the #36 pick.

I think they gamble that a QB they like and is fit for the West Coast offense will be there in Round 2 and take Green. This team needs a difference maker and he appears to be one - then hopefully Ponder or Dalton are there in Round two or at the very least someone that can run the offense.

Gabbert, I just don't think they like enough and there is no guarantee that he gets past Buffalo at 3. If they go defense - I hope it's Fairley - guy was unblockable in the National Championship game.