1st Round Pre-Pick Thread

ArmyBengal

Welcome to the 2011 NFL draft (Bengalszone Style) !!!

This is the place to discuss everything there is about who the Bengals are going to draft in the FIRST round...

Once again, let's try to keep things as organized as we can and if there are problems through the next several days, let me or one of the Mods know.

Thanks and here's to hoping this draft is a good one !!!

I think they will (as usual) do the wrong thing. In this case, thats going with a QB or WR, with WR being the lesser of the two evils

The right thing to do is to strengthen one of the two lines (and strengthen the other no later than r3)

If Dareus somehow slips past pick 3 and they do not take him, I will be howling.

A.J Green seems like the best value for a position that is still a Need but we do have talent at the position just no one proven to be a 1#...I'd love to have Fairley,Peterson,Dareus or (insert top passrusher here)

I just think we are better off at those positions then some of our other needs...As much as I'd love to have a blue chip talent starting think really would be best for us to trade down because we have so many needs...

Wouldn't be as big of a issue if we could trade Carson & Chad before/during the draft....

AJ Green makes sense. New OC says we're going to be run first and pound the ball. Mike says look at the new toy I found! Typical Bengals.

New Shiny Toy also opens up the running game because the other team still has to fear the pass...Mind you I think one of the best ways to upgrade the bengals run game is Shet can Nate Livings.

This is really tough pick IMO who I want...

top 5 choices what i'd like to see at 4#

1.)Trade Down

2.)A.J Green-Even if Simpson & Caldwell were to have awesome seasons they are both free agents next year...We are going to either have a young QB or a Vet learning the system so may as well make it easier for them

3.)Marcell Dareus/Nick Fairley-Makes for a solid Rotation of Peko,Geno,Sims & Dareus/Fairley...

4.)Robert Quinn-I have mixed Feelings about DE,I'd really like to see what M.J & Dunlap could do as starters but adding another top talent to the rotation could give us some scary passrush...

5.)Patrick Peterson-Only as a Safety,Still think he will be 2 big to be a elite corner and he shouldn't have any problem with playing safety has he never seen Rod Woodson or Ed Reed play :P

He's far and away my #1 choice. He's also a 3 down lineman. So he plays with Peko on running downs, and then Geno Stacks comes in on passing downs. Those two guys can really push the pocket back - right into our ends. We would have a dominant Run AND Pass front four.

Anyone other than AJ Green would be stupid.

We have a huge need on offense - we have maybe the worst offense in the NFL. We have a particular need at WR with Jordan Shipley being the only WR under contract after this season. We have a despearate need for anyone who can get the ball in the endzone. We have a blue chip prospect...maybe the best overall player in the entire draft at the position we need staring us in the face. There isn't anyone else in the draft who we could take later to help much at the WR psoition. The top WRs in the nfl were top picks(fitzgerald, andre johnson, calvin johnson).

On defense, we have good young players all over the place. Nobody we draft on defense is going to make much difference...at least not much as AJ Green. Even if they did,it would only mean we would lose games 21-3 instead of 24-3. Big deal. Our defense is good enough to win if we had any type of offense. Problem is, we have zero offense right now.

This pick is so blatantly obvious not even the bengals can be dumb enough to screw it up. If he's there, we take him.

Enough of this idiotic passsing on good skill position players like Marshall Faulk or Ladainian Tomlinson to pick guys like Dan Wilkinson, Justin Smith, John Copeland, Reinard Wilson and all the other d-Linemen who never pan out. There is a reason the bengals have only one hall of famer in their entire history. It's because they always pass up great players like AJ Green. I think they have learned their lesson.

From CBS Sports

This week defensive line coach Jay Hayes reportedly was spotted flying out of Mobile, Ala., home of Auburn DL Nick Fairley. If this was a last-minute visit it would suggest the Bengals are contemplating trading down and selecting Fairley, expected to be around in the 8-15 range.

Reminds me of 09...

I don't think it's "blatantly" obvious. Both players have the same level numerical grade on them and both would improve key areas for our team.

Our pass rush has been a monster issue for the defense and if you could infuse a player capable of playing 3 downs and making the other players better, it's hard to pass that up. When you consider the issue with our secondary, it's very easy to see that happening should he fall and I would have little (see no) issue.

I agree Green still fills a hole for us as well with both Chad and TO hopefully not back (THANK GOD) and Shipley being the only one under contract after this season and none being a true #1 WR. I love the thought of Green, Simpson, Caldwell, and Shipley being the first 4 WR's and when including Gresham in the mix, it would make it easier to plug in a QB (whether drafted or FA) and get some success. It's very easy seeing that happening as well and again, I would have little (see no) issue.

Value wise, they both are about the same at the #4 spot.

From CBS Sports

This week defensive line coach Jay Hayes reportedly was spotted flying out of Mobile, Ala., home of Auburn DL Nick Fairley. If this was a last-minute visit it would suggest the Bengals are contemplating trading down and selecting Fairley, expected to be around in the 8-15 range.

I doubt we'd trade down for more picks because we thought Fairley would still be available in the "8-15 range". Like you said in another thread WCA. Why would we trade down (not in Mike Browns nature)? We would reach Fairley at #4. If we want Fairley we'll take him at #4...

I don't think it's "blatantly" obvious. Both players have the same level numerical grade on them and both would improve key areas for our team.

Our pass rush has been a monster issue for the defense and if you could infuse a player capable of playing 3 downs and making the other players better, it's hard to pass that up. When you consider the issue with our secondary, it's very easy to see that happening should he fall and I would have little (see no) issue.

I agree Green still fills a hole for us as well with both Chad and TO hopefully not back (THANK GOD) and Shipley being the only one under contract after this season and none being a true #1 WR. I love the thought of Green, Simpson, Caldwell, and Shipley being the first 4 WR's and when including Gresham in the mix, it would make it easier to plug in a QB (whether drafted or FA) and get some success. It's very easy seeing that happening as well and again, I would have little (see no) issue.

Value wise, they both are about the same at the #4 spot.

Normally I would agree with you. I was in favor of taking BJ Raji a couple years if we didn't take Andre Smith - and people criticized me for that. In this case though, there isn't a DT of the caliber of someone like Suh. And I think AJ Green is better prospect as a WR than Dareus is as a DT. And I also think Green is the safer pick. I think he has as close to zero bust potential you can get. He is elite. Dareus is very good, but not elite in my opinion. And I think he has a higher potential to be a bust. (Plus I don't think Marvin Lewis is going to be very fond of taking an Alabama player that high after what happened last time when he thought the coaching staff wasn't honest with them).

We are just so depleted on the offensive side of the ball and it's time to re-stock. We have a good young TE and a good slot WR that we can build with. There isn't much else though. On offense, I always like to have the trio - good young QB, elite WR, and Pro Bowl caliber RB - to build around and really solidify your future. We can pair an elite WR with an elite TE and have them together for a long time.

We have re-stocked the talent on defense. Dunlap, Peko, Sims, Atkins, Michael Johnson, Rivers, Maualuga, Joseph, Hall, maybe Reggie Nelson, Muckelroy... maybe some of those guys haven't turned to all-pros, but it's still a very good young nucleus. Time to compile some offensive talent.

Mobster I really do like what you have brought to the forum to this point and can agree with your opinion there.

My biggest point is from a scouting standpoint, both are viewed nearly the same value-wise in the draft.

Both positions could bust out, but I really don't see that from either of them

I could handle either of them being the pick, but am really excited if Green is the pick as well.

I just love what Green would bring to the offense for a new QB to walk into.

Anyone other than AJ Green would be stupid.

We have a huge need on offense - we have maybe the worst offense in the NFL. We have a particular need at WR with Jordan Shipley being the only WR under contract after this season. We have a despearate need for anyone who can get the ball in the endzone. We have a blue chip prospect...maybe the best overall player in the entire draft at the position we need staring us in the face. There isn't anyone else in the draft who we could take later to help much at the WR psoition. The top WRs in the nfl were top picks(fitzgerald, andre johnson, calvin johnson).

On defense, we have good young players all over the place. Nobody we draft on defense is going to make much difference...at least not much as AJ Green. Even if they did,it would only mean we would lose games 21-3 instead of 24-3. Big deal. Our defense is good enough to win if we had any type of offense. Problem is, we have zero offense right now.

This pick is so blatantly obvious not even the bengals can be dumb enough to screw it up. If he's there, we take him.

Enough of this idiotic passsing on good skill position players like Marshall Faulk or Ladainian Tomlinson to pick guys like Dan Wilkinson, Justin Smith, John Copeland, Reinard Wilson and all the other d-Linemen who never pan out. There is a reason the bengals have only one hall of famer in their entire history. It's because they always pass up great players like AJ Green. I think they have learned their lesson.

The Bengals were 24th in total defense last year. How would improving the defense be a problem? Don't overvalue the Bengals talent on defense. I know it's easy to do when they've been so sparse there the last decade plus.

AJ Green afraid of contact. You press the guy and you take him out of the game. Watch the Colorado game again. Yeah he had some cute catches but when they put Jimmy Smith on him and he started pressing him it wasnt good for Green. It has been like that his whole career. Plus there isnt a "Love" for the game that top picks should have. Buyer beware.

AJ Green afraid of contact. You press the guy and you take him out of the game. Watch the Colorado game again. Yeah he had some cute catches but when they put Jimmy Smith on him and he started pressing him it wasnt good for Green. It has been like that his whole career. Plus there isnt a "Love" for the game that top picks should have. Buyer beware.

I'm sorry, but THE SAME Colorado game where he had 7 Receptions for 119 Yards and 2 TD's????? Also 1 Carry for 40 yards???? Yes, WATCH THE COLORADO GAME AGAIN....AND REALIZE THAT IT WAS HIS 1ST GAME OF THE YEAR AFTER SITTING OUT THE 1ST FOUR GAMES, AND HIS QB WAS AARON MURRAY....A FRESHMAN.....IN THEIR 1ST GAME TOGETHER.....

You can make an argument about a couple of plays where Jimmy Smith may have "pressed" him, but AJ Green DOMINATED him (and Colorado) over the course of 60 minutes with a Freshman QB. Also, you can name on 1 hand how many NFL CB's are 6'2" 210lbs like Smith.....and guys like that are usually physical and play well within 5 yards....but get torched for 119 yards after that.....

Look, I like AJ Green A LOT, and there is only 1 knock I have on him.......The School he went to......You know, the same school that gave the Bengals Odel Thurman, David Pollack, and Robert Geathers......F U GEORGIA

I'm sorry, but THE SAME Colorado game where he had 7 Receptions for 119 Yards and 2 TD's????? Also 1 Carry for 40 yards???? Yes, WATCH THE COLORADO GAME AGAIN....AND REALIZE THAT IT WAS HIS 1ST GAME OF THE YEAR AFTER SITTING OUT THE 1ST FOUR GAMES, AND HIS QB WAS AARON MURRAY....A FRESHMAN.....IN THEIR 1ST GAME TOGETHER.....

You can make an argument about a couple of plays where Jimmy Smith may have "pressed" him, but AJ Green DOMINATED him (and Colorado) over the course of 60 minutes with a Freshman QB. Also, you can name on 1 hand how many NFL CB's are 6'2" 210lbs like Smith.....and guys like that are usually physical and play well within 5 yards....but get torched for 119 yards after that.....

Look, I like AJ Green A LOT, and there is only 1 knock I have on him.......The School he went to......You know, the same school that gave the Bengals Odel Thurman, David Pollack, and Robert Geathers......F U GEORGIA

Um no Jimmy Smith didnt cover him the entire game. Georgia had to move Green around so Colorado #2 corner was on him. That is why he had a big game. Jimmy Smith shut him down when he was on him.

Um no Jimmy Smith didnt cover him the entire game. Georgia had to move Green around so Colorado #2 corner was on him. That is why he had a big game. Jimmy Smith shut him down when he was on him.

There is a MASSIVE difference between struggling to get off jams and being afraid of contact. Green has repeatedly shown the willingness to go over the middle and take a big shot in order to make a play. Green may struggle with physical corner play, but that's an aspect of his game that can be worked on. But claiming he's afraid of contact is off base as all hell.