ArmyBengal's Last Mock

ArmyBengal

To start with, I think you have to look at our own free agents that we have no idea who is going to return.

2 are LB's, but I want Brandon Johnson starting and move Rey to the middle.

2 are RB's and I want Leonard back and really think Benson will return.

2 are OL, but it depends on how they view Anthony Collins and a possible move to Guard for Big Dre.

2 are safeties and I could see both Williams and Ndukwe returning.

2 are DL and I could see both being shown the door.

Now with that line of thought and what Marvin said the other day about needing his rookies to play right away, I think you may very well see another risky kind of draft in the hopes of getting starting quality guys later in the draft due to character concerns. I would love to see a Guard taken higher in the draft, but I really don't think they will and there's no reason to take one later if they don't represent some sort of upgrade to what we already have. The QB situation really f*cks them over in that aspect. Anyway, that was my mindset going into this...

I think there will be plenty of players staring at them at #4 that will enable a trade down and I see them picking up an additional second rounder for the move down. Team is irrelevant, but will keep them in the top 10 for arguments sake. I also think Chad will be traded, but won't net us anything headed into the 2011 draft, so I will leave that alone.

THIS DRAFT COULD BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE AS WELL. I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT GOING IN.

1. Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

After the trade down, the Bengals net another 2nd round pick.

I have no idea what Odom will look like and Geathers has been a disappointment since getting paid. With Rucker and Fanene as question marks in FA, adding a huge upgrade at the DE spot across from Dunlap helps the questions that could also arise in the secondary. I look at it as helps two different areas with one pick. Quinn, while not playing last year is still considered an elite prospect and the best DE in the draft. If Quinn brings the elite pass rushing skills to the other side opposite Dunlap, this could be something really special to watch.

2a. Christian Ponder, QB, FSU

Lets face it, the Bengals are going to take a QB and I expect it to be with this pick. Mallett would be an option right here, but I really think some team will trade up into the bottom of the first round and take their chance on him sort of like what happened with Tebow last year. The thing about Ponder, even though he had a poor season last year at FSU is, he has the ability to make things happen with his feet and is one of the only QB's that actually took snaps under center in college. He's a good fit for what Gruden is trying to implement and I could see this happening with Mike Brown still hoping Palmer comes back.

2b. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Viginia

A player that has gotten over his injuries from last season and is capable of playing CB at the next level. Possesses the size, speed, and talent combination that NFL teams are looking for at the position. A potential first round guy who just showed his speed at his pro day, running a 4.3 in the 40. He likes to support the run and is a solid tackler. Insurance for JJoe who I think won't be back.

3. Greg Little, WR, UNC

Another UNC guy that didn't play last season, but had a remarkable pro day and was another potential first round kind of guy. I would love AJ Green, but Little has the ability to at least supplement what the WR corps would need for the 2011 season. At 6'3, 220 lbs, good speed and being a very willing blocker I think he's a nice pick at the top of the 3rd.

4. Deunta Williams, S, UNC

Another UNC guy that didn't play as much due to injury last season. His junior season had most thinking he would have gone in the first round as well. Even with the less than average season he just had, most expected him to go in the 2nd round if he could have ran at the combine. Since he couldn't, they think he still needs a little more time and that he may fall a little more. If he's there in the 4th, he's a steal. His style of play also has many analysts thinking he can play the CB position as well and God knows that wouldn't be a bad thing to add to our secondary.

5. Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville

I still think Benson probably comes back, but there's no certainty and they have to get someone to fill that role. They could go RB early, but I just don't see it as being a bigger need and I'm not enamored by the top guys. They all have their dings, but the Bengals coaching staff were there at the Louisville pro day to see this kid run and he had a really good season last year that went under the radar.

6. Alex Henery, K, Nebraska

Some think he may fall to the 7th round, but I say taking him here at the top of the 6th would be very nice. He has some issue with kickoffs, but is a beast kicking the ball and we all know the kicking position could use an upgrade as well. Who knows how Nugent will come along ?? Can't hurt in the 6th round.

7a. Armon Binns, WR, Cincinnati

With the uncertainty at the WR spot heading into the 2012 season, this pick being used on a WR wouldn't surprise me in the least. That being the case, Binns had a not so great season last year and has fallen way down the boards. I think putting him on the practice squard for the season surely wouldn't hurt things. He's another big guy that has decent speed. The knock on him has beem his desire being called into question and him taking plays off when he knows he's not involved in the play.

7b. Mario Harvey, MLB, Marshall

6'0, 257 and runs a 4.43 in the 40. Has a knack for getting to the QB and would provide some depth for a LB corps that could be losing both Dhani and Brandon Johnson. He's worth the flier with a 7th round comp pick for sure.

The way I see it is,the two with injury concerns (Dowling and Williams) do worry me a bit, but I awoke this morning seeing the NFL Network analysts now commenting the Dowling could in fact go in the 1st round since recovering from his injury. I suppose the argument could be made that a starting Guard is more important, but again, you have to consider what we already have and how they view those players. With my thought of JJoe not coming back and little after that (see an injured Adam Jones) a 2nd round CB for insurance wouldn't be bad seeing as how we are going to be in the same boat with Hall next season.

Williams is the injured one that may not be back to full speed as quickly, but if you can take a shot at a first round talent in the 4th, I say why not ?? The other safeties that look to be there in the 4th just don't intrigue me as being much of an upgrade to what we saw last season.

The key of the draft for me are Marvin's words that with the labor issue, they have to get as many rookies to play as possible.

I think that involves taking some risk with something like a 4th round pick in order to get better talent.

Then again, I'm sure it could be equally argued from the opposite standpoint.

I just don't see the talent being the same.

draft with no OL gets no love from me

To be honest TJ, me neither, but when looking at what could unfold, I wouldn't be surprised.

I think it's all but a lock they take a QB/WR combo with the 1st and 2nd round.

If they do get a 2nd for Chad, they could very well go OL, but I think there is a greater need to get insurance for the secondary and considering our coaching staff, I think they would make moves with what they already have before they go OL in the 2nd or 3rd.

Once you take into consideration the possible HUGE needs with FA's at the safety and RB positions, they have to get insurance there as well and then you are well into the 5th round. I honestly don't think there is going to be an OL prospect there in the 5th round or later that will present an upgrade to what we already have in depth or what could be had if they decide move players from one position to another.

What I will certainly expect to see in this situatuion is, the Bengals looking long and hard at dumping whatever amount of FA money on the best Guard FA available to protect the possible rookie QB. A vet FA for the OL just seems the smarter way to approach this situation.

Would a solid FA Guard get at least a little love when considering the above selections ??

• 2 weeks later...

So instead of making a whole new mock, I just made adjustments to the previous one I started here.

I changed the fact I don't think we will be able to trade down and the first three picks.

This is more along the lines of what I expect rather than what I want. No, 2 WR's wouldn't surprise me in the least.

1. AJ Green, WR, Georgia

I've made many comments about Green in the main forum pick thread, so this shouldn't be a surprise coming from me.

I honestly think this kid is going to be special and would really give me something to look forward to this season.

2. Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

Lets face it, the Bengals are going to take a QB and I expect it to be with this pick. Mallett would be an option right here, but I really think some team will trade up into the bottom of the first round and take their chance on him sort of like what happened with Tebow last year. Dalton, seems to be high on Gruden's radar right now and with the thought of him being very capable to run the West Coast Offense, I am now a little more comfortable with him being the pick. He certainly wouldn't have a shortage of weapons. I like that he comes across as being a fiery type of player.

3. Clint Boling, OG, Georgia

There are some other Guards I wouldn't mind if they were to fall to this spot, but Boling would be an upgrade at the LG spot and is the smart kind of guy, who excells at pass blocking (like we will need) that I could see Gruden wanting to get into his o-line. It's not like the Guard position couldn't be upgraded on both sides of the center either.

Another UNC guy that didn't play as much due to injury last season. His junior season had most thinking he would have gone in the first round as well. Even with the less than average season he just had, most expected him to go in the 2nd round if he could have ran at the combine. Since he couldn't, they think he still needs a little more time and that he may fall a little more. If he's there in the 4th, he's a steal. His style of play also has many analysts thinking he can play the CB position as well and God knows that wouldn't be a bad thing to add to our secondary.

I still think Benson probably comes back, but there's no certainty and they have to get someone to fill that role. They could go RB early, but I just don't see it as being a bigger need and I'm not enamored by the top guys. They all have their dings, but the Bengals coaching staff were there at the Louisville pro day to see this kid run and he had a really good season last year that went under the radar.

Some think he may fall to the 7th round, but I say taking him here at the top of the 6th would be very nice. He has some issue with kickoffs, but is a beast kicking the ball and we all know the kicking position could use an upgrade as well. Who knows how Nugent will come along ?? Can't hurt in the 6th round.

With the uncertainty at the WR spot heading into the 2012 season, this pick being used on a WR wouldn't surprise me in the least. That being the case, Binns had a not so great season last year and has fallen way down the boards. I think putting him on the practice squard for the season surely wouldn't hurt things. He's another big guy that has decent speed. The knock on him has beem his desire being called into question and him taking plays off when he knows he's not involved in the play.

6'0, 257 and runs a 4.43 in the 40. Has a knack for getting to the QB and would provide some depth for a LB corps that could be losing both Dhani and Brandon Johnson. He's worth the flier with a 7th round comp pick for sure.

Update...

The analysts on NFL Networks draft special just made a comment about Harvey and his amazing pass rush skills for a guy that large.

I'm no longer convinced he will last until the 7th round. He has been my sleeper pick since the end of March.

257 pounds and runs a 4.43 40 ?? That's just sick.

I can't say as I like it much either WCA, but rather how I see it playing out.

Many are thinking Boling is a round 3 guy and getting him at the top would be about right, but I agree that he may be gone before then.

I like the Powell pick alot as well. It's still a shame the Bengals didn't take Blount in the late rounds last draft.

I think that was a real mistake on their part.

For what it's worth, going back through members mock drafts here, the average picks people get right is ONE. Sometimes two, but rarely, if ever (I didn't see any) more. Hopefully the Bengals don't reach for any player because I really think someone will be there they didn't think would at the top of each round.

more

linemen

Tell me which linemen at which pick presents more value and fills a greater need and I will be MORE than happy TJ.

Seriously, I want more linemen as much as the next, but don't see that happening.

My mock merely reflects what I believe is going to happen.

If anything, I could easily see them taking a running back where I firmly planted Boling, the OG.

The next question becomes, at what point in time during the draft do the prospects give you less value than what you already have on the roster ??

Well, I ended up with three players correct, only with Boling lasting a round longer than I thought.

3 players in a mock is a personal best for me.

So instead of making a whole new mock, I just made adjustments to the previous one I started here.

I changed the fact I don't think we will be able to trade down and the first three picks.

This is more along the lines of what I expect rather than what I want. No, 2 WR's wouldn't surprise me in the least.

1. AJ Green, WR, Georgia

I've made many comments about Green in the main forum pick thread, so this shouldn't be a surprise coming from me.

I honestly think this kid is going to be special and would really give me something to look forward to this season.

2. Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

Lets face it, the Bengals are going to take a QB and I expect it to be with this pick. Mallett would be an option right here, but I really think some team will trade up into the bottom of the first round and take their chance on him sort of like what happened with Tebow last year. Dalton, seems to be high on Gruden's radar right now and with the thought of him being very capable to run the West Coast Offense, I am now a little more comfortable with him being the pick. He certainly wouldn't have a shortage of weapons. I like that he comes across as being a fiery type of player.

There are some other Guards I wouldn't mind if they were to fall to this spot, but Boling would be an upgrade at the LG spot and is the smart kind of guy, who excells at pass blocking (like we will need) that I could see Gruden wanting to get into his o-line. It's not like the Guard position couldn't be upgraded on both sides of the center either.

Well, I ended up with three players correct, only with Boling lasting a round longer than I thought.

3 players in a mock is a personal best for me.

1. AJ Green, WR, Georgia

2. Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

That is pretty amazing Army. Well Done. Your top 3 picks went to the Bengals, which I find to be pretty remarkable.

Either you've brilliantly analyzed the way the Bengals front office thinks, or you are actually thinking like the front office. The real- life ramifications of those two options are quite different, I suspect.

The funny part about it COB is, it took me this long (and i've been commenting about it a lot lately) to start looking at the team through the eyes of the coaches and organization and then go from there.

They also drafted another safety, RB, and WR, but I had the wrong guy in the wrong spot.

I got blasted along the way for not giving them a d-lineman along the way as well. When you apply my first comment about how to view the team, you just knew it wasn't going to happen.

Thanks by the way, now that I am completely Bunglized, maybe I can get a front office job !?!?!?

Either you've brilliantly analyzed the way the Bengals front office thinks, or you are actually thinking like the front office.

I think he was Trying to give you a compliment........Although telling someone they "think like the Bengals front office" have been fighting words on more than one occasion.......

Anyways, Nice Job.