Palmer Grabs Leadership Reigns

membengal

No, not Carson. God forbid he actually lead.

In this case, it would be runpee. And, really, good for little Palmer, this is actually somewhat heartening:

It turns out the Bengals receivers are going to be throwing to a Palmer in March and April even if there's a lockout.

It is Jordan Palmer, the Bengals backup quarterback, who is taking it upon himself to round up the receivers and get them to Arizona or southern California later this month and next month. That includes the running backs, too, because he's also been on the horn with Benson and Bernard Scott.

"I've talked to Jerome a few times and talking to Jerome is like talking to Bubba because they're joined at the hip," Palmer said Tuesday of Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell. "I've been in touch with (Jordan) Shipley and were going to get a hold of Jermaine (Gresham). No matter what happens with the lockout, we'll be throwing."

For a lot of reasons, Palmer can't and won't elaborate on his brother's standoff with the Bengals. Carson Palmer wants a trade and head coach Marvin Lewis said last week the club is proceeding as if it won't have him at quarterback in 2011. But Bengals president Mike Brown is showing no signs that he's backing off his Jan. 24 statement that he does not intend to trade Palmer and the club's actions at the combine indicated it is preparing like he'll retire.

Jordan Palmer is stuck in the middle of it all, but he's doing what young backup quarterbacks do. Up until the collective bargaining agreement deadline of Thursday-Friday midnight he can talk to the coaches and he said he's had good discussions with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese about new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden's system.

"You know we're going to play good defense and it sounds like we're going to pound the ball and be creative in the passing game," Jordan Palmer said. "I think we're going to be the Jets and that's exciting to me. I don't know what's going to happen. I'm preparing like any other year, like I'm going to play, so I'll help get everybody together that I can get together and we can get going. If I'm not in the picture, then I'm at least helping get the team better."

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Combine-leftovers/e0c6f071-1a8a-4287-837d-f45320a6fd26

I didn't see this being discussed anywhere, and I thought it worth a mention on its own if not.

Bless runpee for doing this. That last line in particular is a keeper. All things considered, pretty damn selfless.

Only problem is that he's not actually under contract. They didn't even bother putting an RFA tender on him, so he'll be a UFA. Now, maybe there's a wink/nod arrangement that he will be offered a new deal once the CBA gets done, but that's exactly the kind of thing the league has been warning teams about, and with Mikey actually on the labor committee it's the kind of thing they would be extra careful about. IMO LeFevour makes more sense to run the unofficial show. But yeah, Jordan's willingness to jump in is worth recognizing.

Right. That would be the selfless part, hoosier. He has no real reason to do this, and he's apparently doing it anyway. Like I said, I would have liked to see this kind of thing from his older brother, heaven forbid. But, absent that, nice to see the effort and loyalty to his teammates from Jordan. Especially considering they are not technically his teammates at the moment.

It turns out the Bengals receivers are going to be throwing to a Palmer in March and April even if there's a lockout.

Well that makes sense if he's warming them up in the pre-game drills, and they're throwing balls back to him before he picks back up his clipboard.

Well that makes sense if he's warming them up in the pre-game drills, and they're throwing balls back to him before he picks back up his clipboard.

Easy jokes aside, it's hard for me to be cynical about this. I am glad that someone is trying to organize something for the skillz guys as the labor stuff arrives. If it's Jordan, good on him. Seriously, really glad to read this. If only for team building stuff.

Had they planned on keeping him I'm sure he would have got tendered being he's a quarterback...But if they don't feel he's worth the minimum tender then it's doubtful he'll be back.

Again, to reiterate, that's kinda the selfless part I referenced above. Nice of him to take these steps given he's potentially nowhere with this team. And I point your attention to the last line I bolded in the excerpt above.

Easy jokes aside, it's hard for me to be cynical about this. I am glad that someone is trying to organize something for the skillz guys as the labor stuff arrives. If it's Jordan, good on him. Seriously, really glad to read this. If only for team building stuff.

Oh, I see... the article was written by Hobson. With him the jokes just don't get any easier. You could stuff what he knows about football up a gnats ass, and it would look like a pea rolling around in a box car. The guy is a hack.

Ok. So you are saying he is lying? What the hell?

It's interesting news. And that it is Hobson reporting it doesn't make it any less interesting. Bottom line, I was hoping to read at some point that the Bengals players were making plans to try and do something during what is looking like an extended break from team activities, particularly considering how young the core of the offense is at the skill postitions all of a sudden. Any person with the foresight to try and get Simpson, Caldwell, Shipley, Gresham, Scott and Benson together for some informal work and throwing is okay by me. That it's Jordan Palmer of all people, well, good on him. Glad someone is showing that kind of care about the team. Too bad it's not Carson Palmer, but I've come to the conclusion that Carson Palmer is a dink. His brother, it would appear, most assuredly is not.

So, yeah, good on runpee, if he can make this happen.

The thought of Jordan Palmer leading the Bengals as his brother pouts and hides in seclusion would have been unthinkable once.

(sigh)

True dat. And yet, here we are. Runpee showing more leadership and loyalty to what are technically ex-teammates than his well paid older brother. Just a bizarre turn.

I love seeing anyone take lead when it comes to this organization. I know there was much talk about how Junior was really coming along well heading into last season. They said he had developed nicely into a backup.

All that aside, I don't put much to it, simply because I don't see much coming of it.

But good for Junior.

Again, army, I didn't post this to predict anything "would come of it" w/ respect to runpee's place w/ the team. I was pleased that someone, ANYone, was making this effort. God forbid it be carson, I guess. Prick that he is being.

So, in that sizable void of leader, count me grateful that jordan is trying to step up. Even moreso since he isn't technically part of the team. Rather admirable loyalty, to be frank.

Ok. So you are saying he is lying? What the hell?

It's interesting news. And that it is Hobson reporting it doesn't make it any less interesting. Bottom line, I was hoping to read at some point that the Bengals players were making plans to try and do something during what is looking like an extended break from team activities, particularly considering how young the core of the offense is at the skill postitions all of a sudden. Any person with the foresight to try and get Simpson, Caldwell, Shipley, Gresham, Scott and Benson together for some informal work and throwing is okay by me. That it's Jordan Palmer of all people, well, good on him. Glad someone is showing that kind of care about the team. Too bad it's not Carson Palmer, but I've come to the conclusion that Carson Palmer is a dink. His brother, it would appear, most assuredly is not.

So, yeah, good on runpee, if he can make this happen.

Interesting? Dude...you're one of them that's REALLY going to be hurting in the event of a lockout. Apparently, NFL news is your crack.

Anyway, I get what you are saying about the attitude and so on. However, I don't particularly relish our receivers and backs spending a few months working out with 1) a quarterback that will not be throwing to them in the fall and 2) a very bad one at that.

Again, army, I didn't post this to predict anything "would come of it" w/ respect to runpee's place w/ the team. I was pleased that someone, ANYone, was making this effort. God forbid it be carson, I guess. Prick that he is being.

So, in that sizable void of leader, count me grateful that jordan is trying to step up. Even moreso since he isn't technically part of the team. Rather admirable loyalty, to be frank.

And stepping up in my opinion would be trying to talk to big brother to not turn tail and run, even if he has to play the "what about me?" card.

Picking fights, greg? If this doesn't pass as interedting and worth a mention, what does? As for me, and I thought this was clear from other threads, I am actually kinda rooting for a long lockout, so go troll elsewhere. I am plenty content w/ baseball starting.

My apologies for starting a thread w/ sorta kinda on-field news.

Picking fights, greg? If this doesn't pass as interedting and worth a mention, what does? As for me, and I thought this was clear from other threads, I am actually kinda rooting for a long lockout, so go troll elsewhere. I am plenty content w/ baseball starting.

Go f--- yourself, drama queen. I'm pretty tired of anytime I ever respond to one of your posts, you get your little toes stepped on.

All that aside, I don't put much to it, simply because I don't see much coming of it.

I think it's a positive simply because the young WR's will get a head start working on the new offense. But I too can't make too much of it simply because of the low probability that RunPee makes this teams final roster.

Go f--- yourself, drama queen. I'm pretty tired of anytime I ever respond to one of your posts, you get your little toes stepped on.

I'm suddenly reminded of a young comic Jerry Lewis singing this song to his beloved gal, Frecklehead.

Who's your little hoosier?

Who's your turtledove?

Who do you love?

:blink:

Go f**k yourself, asswipe, right back at you. Troll elsewhere. If you don't find it interesting, you don't have to f**king comment. Douche.

I'm suddenly reminded of a young comic Jerry Lewis singing this song to his beloved gal, Frecklehead.

Who's your turtledove?

Who do you love?

:blink:

You disappoint me Hair. I figured it'd rekindle memories of your beloved Dick Cheney...

/>http://politicalhumor.about.com/b/2004/06/25/cheney-to-leahy-go-fk-yourself.htm