Bengals Interviewing Gabbert, Newton, Others

HoosierCat

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reedy and Hobson both keep saying AJ Green in the first and Ponder in the 2nd. They are saying Ponder will be great in the WCO. Im not so sure Ponder is a starter in this league, so not sure why they keep saying Ponder in the 2nd.

I don't need my QB to be a physical freak (Cam Newton), or have an ideal QB body/arm (Mallett). I just want him to be an accurate passer and a good decision maker (Colt McCoy). Show me this year's Colt McCoy, and I'll show you the guy I want in stripes.

Has Kaepernick (sp?) worked under center?

pro style offense?

Does Senior bowl count? because I think he had 1 maybe 2 plays under center :>.

Locker is the only one out of pro style of top 8 QB's no? I'd welcome him I Just like kaepernicks upside.

PS,Well Mallet but I don't want to think about drafting him ;o

I say they just go with the carrot-and-stick approach. Every TD he gets an 8-ball, every pick he spends a week in rehab...:lol:

I give you your 2011 Cincinnati Bengals starting WR...Charlie Sheen!

Well if people willing spend a 2nd on mallet we may as well take sheen in the 1st :>

While I am saying stuff, I think you are over-doing the Mallet concerns. A lot.

Mallet's concerns come when he gets pressure.

The crumbling cookie comes to mind.

That's on-field stuff. I get the impression that some on here are busy creating mountains out of molehills on off-field stuff.

As for the on-field stuff, as a 2nd rounder, I am willing to take a chance on him working on the pressure stuff. 2nd round qbs have flaws, but as long as the talent is otherwise there, worth a shot even with flaws in that round.

Boomer Esiason, say, back in the day, comes to mind.

Mallet's concerns come when he gets pressure.

The crumbling cookie comes to mind.

That's on-field stuff. I get the impression that some on here are busy creating mountains out of molehills on off-field stuff.

As for the on-field stuff, as a 2nd rounder, I am willing to take a chance on him working on the pressure stuff. 2nd round qbs have flaws, but as long as the talent is otherwise there, worth a shot even with flaws in that round.

Boomer Esiason, say, back in the day, comes to mind.

I'm just playin about the off the field stuff,Because I simply don't want him based on his play on the field and his Intangibles I stated that before the off the field stuff started getting mentioned...I just really like to see our next QB be some what mobile,Have the power to extend plays and be elusive and evade a sack things which he isn't known for...To me he just seems like Carson 2.0 with a tad of Matt Jones...I KIDD

As for the on-field stuff, as a 2nd rounder, I am willing to take a chance on him working on the pressure stuff.

I'd have a hard time wanting the guy in the 3rd round...More so Since Paul Alexander is still our Oline Coach and still endorses the play of NATE FREAKING LIVINGS.. even though he had better guard available in Mathis.

Agreed, Mallet runs the wrong kind of offense. Also likes reefer too much, if the combine rumors are to be believed. Can't lead the team if you're suspended.

Billy must have pimped Cam Newton too hard, because the way the wind is blowing now he'll probably go first.

Veteran free agent seems like the way to go.

If we take a QB, which seems like a foregone conclusion, I just want a mobile one that can keep drives alive with his feet.

For as much as I would like to see LeFevour get his shot, I'm now thinking it's unlikely to happen.

If they draft a QB, a vet will likely be brought in. If Jordan isn't let go, LeFevour will be.

I think that would be a real shame. I have watched him play and loved what I saw, but looking at his stats is nice as well.

In his career he threw for 12905 yards, threw 102 TDS, and rushed for another 47 TD's.

He never had a passer rating for a season under 133.5 and his senior season was 150.3 while completing 68.7%.

I wish he would get the same consideration Jordan has.

My favorite QB option right now might be Christian Ponder.

They say he is probably the best WCO QB in the draft. He dosnt have the big arm, but he is accurate. Im curious if the Bengals are as interested in him, as Reedy or Hobson is.

As much as we fans love the Deep Ball,I'll take the guy who doesn't miss on all the short/Medium stuff because thats what matters in the WCO...Ponder sounds good and I wouldn't mind him either but hey they were also saying Kaepernick did a good job on the Short/medium stuff but was off deep :P it's that damn fast ball he throws ^_^

If we take a QB, which seems like a foregone conclusion, I just want a mobile one that can keep drives alive with his feet.

Agreed hence what I been preachin.

I wish he would get the same consideration Jordan has.

Well Hopefully Jordan gets the axe if his brother chooses to holdout / gets traded...I'd rather have Rookie/Vet/Booger then Rookie/Vet/Runpee

Not sure. I haven't been one of those posting about him, but he either does - or does not - have a drug problem as has been alleged. If he does, it's more than a molehill, that's for sure. If he doesn't, somebody has some 'splainin' to do.

Also, if he doesn't, his interviews haven't been helping him.

Billy must have pimped Cam Newton too hard, because the way the wind is blowing now he'll probably go first.

It ain't because I pimped him, it's because that's where he belongs, which is likely out of our grasp.

You know what I like? Jay Gruden being very emphatic about implementing a SYSTEM and finding players that fit that system. This team for too long has wavered about who they are and who they want to be.

Marvin Lewis is one of the main problems. His intent when it comes to the draft process is take the "best player available". First and foremost the players you take had better be the best players available that meet your system and your goals as a team. For example, if they do take Ponder at QB at least we'll know that it's for the right reasons and not because he's simply the "best player available".

The ranking criteria of the best NFL teams seems to be:

1. Does the player fit your team's system?

2. Does the player fit into the identity or mold of your team? (Attitude, leadership, physical makeup)

3. Is that player the best available for what your team needs to be a better team?

For too long the Bengals definition of "best player available" hasn't meant anything. Best? Who's best? Best at what? If you can't answer these questions your chances of taking a "draft bust" are much higher.

At first when Marvin was resigned I was ok with it. Now, after the way this offseason has gone, I would have rather seen him move on.

I dont want to hand the team over to a player that has only one year of experience.

C'mon rbb. Nobody plays one season and ends up holding the Hiesman.

Not only that But pretty Sure quite a few QB's had rookie seasons where they won a playoff game where our golden boy hasn't yet.

Mark Sanchez

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Big Ben

Then Sam Bradford did great for a team that hasn't almost nothing besides him and jackson

Not only that But pretty Sure quite a few QB's had rookie seasons where they won a playoff game where our golden boy hasn't yet.

Oh Jesus. Carson Palmer is far from golden. In fact I see him as more a bronze statue standing in the pocket.

Not sure. I haven't been one of those posting about him, but he either does - or does not - have a drug problem as has been alleged. If he does, it's more than a molehill, that's for sure. If he doesn't, somebody has some 'splainin' to do.

Also, if he doesn't, his interviews haven't been helping him.

I guess. Hell if I know. All I know is talent a lot of times trumps off-field concerns at combine stuff. See under: Sapp, Warren. The one caveat I would have from that statement is the nature of the off-field concerns. If it's that said subject is a lazy piece of human, that's a flag I would not ignore. See under Smith, Andre.

As for what I want in a 2nd round qb...an arm, coachability, and a head on shoulders. And a healthy does of want to. Give me those things and I will take my chances given the round on whomever they choose, even if it's a "system" quarterback (like Kaepernik, someone who I am not thrilled with but would live with if in the 2nd).

But I remain adamant that it should NOT be in the first round for Gabbert and even Newton.

The other theme that's gotten annoying in these threads is that the Bengals should pass up a potentially good NFL qb because Nate Livings sucks. If Dan Marino were in this draft (tall, a statue, etc.), would whoever it is saying this stuff really say the Bengals should pass him up because of Livings? Really? C'mon now.

I guess. Hell if I know. All I know is talent a lot of times trumps off-field concerns at combine stuff. See under: Sapp, Warren. The one caveat I would have from that statement is the nature of the off-field concerns. If it's that said subject is a lazy piece of human, that's a flag I would not ignore. See under Smith, Andre.

Well, there are a few categories that 'off the field' problems could fall in. And most of them fall into either big problems, or no problems. That's why it's kind of hard to make decisions with limited information.

1) Drinking, carousing, fun-having, and occasional trouble-making that falls short of murder and/or alcoholism: Don't care!

2) Smoking some weed 'once in a blue moon' (Sapp, Warren and Moss, Randy): Don't care!

3) Snorting the 50-yard line (as some of these rumors regarding Mallet have beaten around the bush: gotta care about that.

4) Partying too much to spend time in the film room: Care about that one too.

5) A general crap attitude with coaches: Don't want that for sure.

With Mallet, I want to find out if he has anything that falls into the 'big problems' category, because that's a pass on him if so. There's been a lot of smoke on this one, but no obvious fire. One thing's for sure: It's not like Petrino's going to tell you the truth about him (or probably much else).

As for what I want in a 2nd round qb...an arm, coachability, and a head on shoulders. And a healthy does of want to. Give me those things and I will take my chances given the round on whomever they choose, even if it's a "system" quarterback (like Kaepernik, someone who I am not thrilled with but would live with if in the 2nd).

I hear ya. Beggars aren't choosers with 2nd round QBs. I do worry about 'systems' guys, because they almost never pan out. Ware, Klingler, up through Alex Smith today. I want a guy who can make a play in the pocket, and also buy enough time to get out of it if need be.

And yeah, 'want to' is a huge issue. Your QB almost needs to not have a life during the season.

The other theme that's gotten annoying in these threads is that the Bengals should pass up a potentially good NFL qb because Nate Livings sucks. If Dan Marino were in this draft (tall, a statue, etc.), would whoever it is saying this stuff really say the Bengals should pass him up because of Livings? Really? C'mon now.

Agreed. But it might be a reason to leave him on the bench for most of the first year. If Dan Marino had been playing behind Nate Livings his first year, he might not be Dan Marino today.