Bengals Interviewing Gabbert, Newton, Others

HoosierCat

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, If LeFeavour can pull a feather out of his ass and actually become an adequate NFL QB, I'm all for it. I mean we got the guy on the cheap.

Don't get me wrong, Boobiemeister - I haven't seen enough (I dont think anyone has) NFL-level work from LeFevour to form a reasoned opinion on him. I'm just responding to your comparison between the two.

That said, if he comes on like early (not late) Jeff Blake, yeah, go with it :-) (one of my favorite Bengal memories of Blake was his first game, very nearly beating the then-champion Cowboys - one of the few Bengals losses I actually enjoyed)

I realize that there is only a small chance of LeFevour catching fire like that, but there was also little chance of a lowly sixth rounder like Brady or a league castoff like Warner catching fire either. Give everyone their chance to succeed while you have them.

Back to Newton.

I know he dealt with a lot of off-the-field adversity in college, but this was adversity that pretty much he and his family brought upon himself. Controllable by him, produced by him.

My worry is he will be unable to handle the on-the-field adversity we all (too well) know comes hand in hand with being a Bengal. I get the feeling that he believes any team he goes to will instantly become a winner due entirely to his contributions. That kind of position does not bode well for him when he finds out that this team can (and will) struggle. A lot. In fact, a vast majority of the time, historically.

Back to Newton.

I know he dealt with a lot of off-the-field adversity in college, but this was adversity that pretty much he and his family brought upon himself. Controllable by him, produced by him.

The NCAA did not find him responsible for anything in their investigation. If they did he wouldn't possess the Hiesman Trophy, nor would the Auburn Tigers be National Champions.

Watching Cam right now at the combine, he looks more like a project then an NFL ready QB. His throws are not very accurate, he has the throwing power, but right now not the accuracy. Will they take Cam at #4 knowing hes not ready to be a starter???

Edit, he can throw the deep ball, pretty good, but has trouble with the out routes. Who knows soemthings he looks good others he looks like he needs alot of work. If thats the case who does Cam sit behind to learn then????

OTOH, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Watching Cam right now at the combine, he looks more like a project then an NFL ready QB. His throws are not very accurate, he has the throwing power, but right now not the accuracy. Will they take Cam at #4 knowing hes not ready to be a starter???

Edit, he can throw the deep ball, pretty good, but has trouble with the out routes. Who knows soemthings he looks good others he looks like he needs alot of work. If thats the case who does Cam sit behind to learn then????

I personally have little faith in the combine. So what if a QB can hit his receivers without being under duress. I suspect half the members here could actually look good throwing the ball without a 300+ pound DL or a pissed off blitzing LB looking to hammer him into the turf. That's where the rubber meets the road, and it usually the point where the wheels come off a players wagon. I want guys who excel in the real world, not some staged, non contact, punt pass and kick kiddie show.

I personally have little faith in the combine. So what if a QB can hit his receivers without being under duress. I suspect half the members here could actually look good throwing the ball without a 300+ pound DL or a pissed off blitzing LB looking to hammer him into the turf. That's where the rubber meets the road, and it usually the point where the wheels come off a players wagon. I want guys who excel in the real world, not some staged, non contact, punt pass and kick kiddie show.

Of course. And that's a concern with Mallet, who isn't particularly mobile and whose accuracy goes down under pressure (then again, that's true of most QBs). But he was expected to excel at the "kiddie show" and did. OTOH Cam looked shaky. Now, maybe he's just having an off day but you'd hope he would have aced this too, especially with how the Bengals are slobbering all over Newton's jock.

Send some unblocked passrushers at Mallet and see how he throws...Just say no to Crack Heads.

accuracy goes down under pressure (then again, that's true of most QBs).

Not for Aaron Rodgers and Kaepernick & Locker are both supposed to throw the ball very well on the move :>... Not sure about Cam since most time He just ran with it.

True, but Cam couldnt he did not look good at all. Some throws looked ok, but his throws were all high and behind the WR. The long balls looked ok, but i was expecting more, but he did not look very accurate. I dont like any of these QBs that were throwing today, nobody impressed me to say they are the face of this team. The Bengals once again are screwed, they need a QB and there dosnt seem to be a true QB in this draft, i hope they look to FA or something.

Here's a write-up from one of espn's writers who was in on Cam's workout:

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37939/cam-newton-underwhelming-in-workout

Newton was off target throughout, frequently overthrowing receivers. But it should be noted quarterbacks work with unfamiliar receivers at the combine. They run at different speeds and break varying routes.

That's why a lot of agents advise their quarterbacks -- as was the case with Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert -- not to throw at the combine and save those drills for campus workouts with receivers they know.

Newton completed 11 of his 21 throws.

His ball sailed on 10-yard outs, 15-yard ins and fly patterns. He was pinpoint on all three of his 12-yard hooks, and completed two of three Z-outs.

FWIW

Now, maybe he's just having an off day but you'd hope he would have aced this too, especially with how the Bengals are slobbering all over Newton's jock.

Very colorful use of the vernacular there! :lol: As much as I like Newton, I just don't see the Bengals drafting him at the #4 spot. I hope I'm wrong, but either Buffalo nabs him before we get our shot, or MB decides he doesn't want to foot the bill of paying the salary of another Hiesman winning QB.

It's all a show, but a show they should do well in.

WR's are no different. Every once and a while in college a CB might be in the WR's hip pocket, but in the pros that CB is ALWAYS in their hip pocket and they need to make the catch. So, while the combine is a show for the WR's, they still should shine in catching an undefended ball. Making the break is another thing entirely.

So, when I QB shows poor mechanics that is something measureable at the combine.

They shouldn't be missing throws to undefended WR's though.

Hoosier, I will give credit where credit is due and say your boy Mallett looked good.

Maybe if he were to just imagine defenders as drug dealers, he'd be better under pressure ??

Hoosier, I will give credit where credit is due and say your boy Mallett looked good.

Maybe if he were to just imagine defenders as drug dealers, he'd be better under pressure ??

I say they just go with the carrot-and-stick approach. Every TD he gets an 8-ball, every pick he spends a week in rehab...:lol:

Regarding wideouts the early word had Julio Jones eating AJ Green's lunch...

Cam's the man! Solid gold at #4!

JUST SAY NO to Chad II

FWIW ALL NFL players are entertainers.

True dat

Also true: very few players (Chad is really the only one who comes to mind) TALK about being an entertainer, an icon, a brand.

So no, I want nothing to do with this guy, regardless of his ability

The difference is Chad is a douchenozzle and Cam is just a young guy trying to work hard am make it big. If some innocuous thins a guy says one time is the thing that prevents a player from being on this team, I am glad you are not in the front office.

How about the guy who says "a;; the right things" but is only average? I guees they should look at that guy right?

TJ, you are overreacting just a wee bit.

I say they just go with the carrot-and-stick approach. Every TD he gets an 8-ball, every pick he spends a week in rehab...:lol:

Regarding wideouts the early word had Julio Jones eating AJ Green's lunch...

Watched all the morning combine coverage of the WR groups. There are LOTS of ballers in the groups. Size and speed everywhere. As I sat there watching Aj Green struggle to live up to his hype, I could only imagine him going 90% to make sure he's not taken by Cincy. FFS, I would be hard pressed to get motivated to be picked by Cincy.

Jones looked like a man. Dominant in every drill. He looked better than Dez did last year. He is an impact player. I can't imagine him getting past Cleveland.

Baldwin looked like another very difficult match-up. Gresham and Baldwin would be a nice stack on the right side of the field.

Kaepernick looked very smooth and had a laser arm, might be the best middle ground between Mallett and Newton, and can probably get him in r2. Mallett is a ridiculously good thrower of the football. His arm is serious. In a west coast offense, he could be lethal.

Mallett is a ridiculously good thrower of the football. His arm is serious. In a west coast offense, he could be lethal.

Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pas Pass...It's not even his off the field issues but I don't want someone as immobile Tom Brady & Peyton Manning when Livings will return and doesn't seem like we plan on upgrading our Oline unless its at Right Tackle because all coaches keep mentioning RT...

PS,Don't see how he would really fit in the WC since most tend to be mobile and not bronze statues...Mcnabb,Rodgers,Young & Garcia...

Mallett is a ridiculously good thrower of the football. His arm is serious. In a west coast offense, he could be lethal.

Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pas Pass...It's not even his off the field issues but I don't want someone as immobile Tom Brady & Peyton Manning when Livings will return and doesn't seem like we plan on upgrading our Oline unless its at Right Tackle because all coaches keep mentioning RT...

PS,Don't see how he would really fit in the WC since most tend to be mobile and not bronze statues...Mcnabb,Rodgers,Young & Garcia...

He's not a statue, that is a bit of an exaggeration.

I agree that mobility is very important. I'd like to see Newton go at 4 to this team. That or get Kaepernick later on. Julio Jones at 4, Kaepernick at 36?

The NCAA did not find him responsible for anything in their investigation. If they did he wouldn't possess the Hiesman Trophy, nor would the Auburn Tigers be National Champions.

The adversity he faced was the investigation and resulting media attention and suspicion itself

If you were arrested on suspicion of being a serial rapist/axe-murder, and you neighbors and co workers all knew about the arrest, would this not create ongoing difficulties for you even if you were eventually 100% cleared, but particularly so during the time while you remained a suspect?

The adversity he faced was the investigation and resulting media attention and suspicion itself

If you were arrested on suspicion of being a serial rapist/axe-murder, and you neighbors and co workers all knew about the arrest, would this not create ongoing difficulties for you even if you were eventually 100% cleared, but particularly so during the time while you remained a suspect?

If I was innocent, I'd have no problem telling 'em to pucker up and kiss my a$$. If I was guilty, problems would ensue. Cam is guilty of nothing except being the best athlete in the draft.

The difference is Chad is a douchenozzle and Cam is just a young guy trying to work hard am make it big.

You will recall that this is the starting point Chad's ego took as well

If some innocuous thins a guy says one time is the thing that prevents a player from being on this team, I am glad you are not in the front office.

Worry not, my liege. Nepotism ensures that will never occur. :-)

I am not related to any of them, nor (unlike Hair) would I want to have relations with any of them

How about the guy who says "a;; the right things" but is only average? I guees they should look at that guy right?

Nah.

There are plenty of other other draftable QBs who also have lots of ability, and dont seem to have these ego issues

TJ, you are overreacting just a wee bit.

Perhaps.

I do indeed value the mental makeup of a QB coming to the Bengals perhaps a bit more than most of us. I truly believe a large degree of mental toughness and maturity are required for success here in NFL Siberia

Yeah, they still have to be able to throw the pigskin around

He's not a statue, that is a bit of an exaggeration.

I agree that mobility is very important. I'd like to see Newton go at 4 to this team. That or get Kaepernick later on. Julio Jones at 4, Kaepernick at 36?

THE MOJO OF MY SIG will make Kaepernick happen in rnd 2 :> I think its 35th pick we'll have btw ;)

How about Locker in the second round?

Third round?

If they Spent a 2nd on Locker or Kaepernick I'd be happy...Mallet on the other hand :o

I would also have no problem with Locker in 2nd or 3rd round. But I will be full metal jacket if they reach at #4 overall for a qb.

Ya overall I like idea of 2nd rnd QB more the only worry there is it's easier for teams to jump us and risk not getting who gruden wanted.